Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Where to get M42 rear caps?

Jonathan-Mac
Posted 10/04/2012 - 15:52 Link
Hi,

I need a couple of rear lens caps for M42 lenses. The only ones I've seen online for a decent price are these:

http://www.dorrfoto.co.uk/Lenses+and+Accessories/Lens+Caps/Dorr+Camera+Rear+Lens...

Does anyone know if they're any good? I have one just now that's a slip-on & it's terrible, I want screw-on caps.

Thanks
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
JohnX
Posted 10/04/2012 - 15:55 Link
ebay? Always seem to be both original and pattern available.
Edited by JohnX: 10/04/2012 - 15:55
Frogherder
Posted 10/04/2012 - 17:10 Link
If you're not fussed about having "Pentax" embossed on them try your local charity shops. They may have some old lenses with back covers fitted. They may either just sell you the covers of you may have to buy the lens (then resell, or consider it a donation to .......)

Bernard
fritzthedog
Posted 10/04/2012 - 21:34 Link
£1.10 delivered off ebay

link
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Algernon
Posted 11/04/2012 - 10:51 Link
This is an excellent UK based seller for lens caps, used
them many times.

link
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
sorted78
Posted 11/04/2012 - 20:49 Link
I've bought M42 rear caps from eBay in the past ( item 150437640898 ) and have been very happy with them.
Edited by sorted78: 11/04/2012 - 20:49
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 11/04/2012 - 21:41 Link
Hmm, it seems that evilbay is the way to go. The only thing I hate more than ebay is Paypal. I'll have to see if I can make a purchase without being scr*wed over by both
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
PIRATE
Posted 09/02/2014 - 16:30 Link
I have a new/sealed black plastic generic M42 rear cap if you still need one. I think I also have a genuine metal M42 cap as well, but that's attached to the lens, so I wouldn't be splitting those, but I think it's actually a Pentax branded metal cap too (I would have to have a rummage and double check).

If you're into the Pentax SLR's I also have an MZ-60 body (nothing else, not even a body cap). Apart from some top LCD bleeding (there's a blob of blackness), it looks in decent cosmetic condition, but I don't have any lenses with which to test it's operation. I also have some generic front lens centre pinch caps with retaining cord (new/sealed) in various sizes.
spinno
Posted 09/02/2014 - 17:58 Link
Amazing no one has suggested Amazon.
David
PIRATE
Posted 09/02/2014 - 18:08 Link
spinno wrote:

Seek and ye shall find. Mine is listed on there. See my storefront here. The jungle doesn't have a complete products inventory as there are additional items that they don't have listings for.
Mike-P
Posted 09/02/2014 - 18:21 Link
spinno wrote:

Amazing Pirate is trying to flog a lens cap on a 2 year old thread
spinno
Posted 09/02/2014 - 18:38 Link
Amazing I didn't spot it
David
PIRATE
Posted 09/02/2014 - 18:49 Link
Mike-P wrote:
spinno wrote:

Amazing Pirate is trying to flog a lens cap on a 2 year old thread

I just responded to a link on Google and wasn't looking at the age of the thread itself just that someone had posted a requirement for an M42 rear cap, but 2 years ago I didn't have one (I wasn't even a member then), but hey, goes to show that maybe threads ought to have a 'kill by' date. I expect a lot of room would get freed up by deleting old threads say 6 months + old if there haven't been any replies. Same for the buy/sell thread. If a sale goes through or a seller wants to withdraw an item from sale, why not amend the title so the thread Mod can either delete or archive it as there are hundreds if not thousands of dead post on that thread alone.

Anyway, move along . . nothing to see here!
Horst
Posted 11/02/2014 - 12:25 Link
Johnathan Mac wrote:

Quote:
Hmm, it seems that evilbay is the way to go. The only thing I hate more than ebay is Paypal. I'll have to see if I can make a purchase without being scr*wed over by both

I think Ebay is one of the best sources to get anything and everything you desire 90% of the time for a very good price.
If you play by the rules and pay your items in time as a buyer or ship and pack them correctly as a seller, you have nothing to worry about.

The same goes with Paypal. The best thing since sliced bread,
As a buyer it doesn't cost you a single cent. you can buy not only from Ebay but from a great many other sources without having to give your credit card details ever again. You also have protection when the Item you receive is faulty, or broken or it is lost,. You get your money, including shipping costs back.
What more do you want?

Regards, Horst
Mike-P
Posted 11/02/2014 - 13:20 Link
Horst wrote:
What more do you want?

Regards, Horst

To be fair Ebay and Paypal have tightened up a lot in the last couple of years (when this thread was first posted) but I agree Ebay is always my first stop for most obscure or hard to find items.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.