Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

When Red Competes With Green

Lubbyman
Posted 05/06/2023 - 13:46 Link
Contrasting photos of two poppy buds that had just started opening yesterday evening. Memories of a brief moment when red competes with green. By this morning the flowers were fully open and by midday the petals were on the ground.

K3 + Irix 150mm macro, tripod mounted, 2 sec delay and hope that the air remains still. First at f4, second at f5.6. To my eye, these are the best from series of shots of each bud from f2.8 to f11.

Thoughts, comments etc. welcome as usual.

1. Bright and cheerful
Comment Image

2. Dark and mysterious
Comment Image

Steve
Posted 05/06/2023 - 14:09 Link
Two great pictures, the first one is my choice, lovely. I'm guessing they are at f2.8 ?
Lubbyman
Posted 05/06/2023 - 16:22 Link
Thanks
loadoftripe wrote:
I'm guessing they are at f2.8 ?

Nope. First at f4, second at f5.6. The way each image changes as the f-stop changes is subtle but noticeable. Smaller aperture puts more of the bud in focus but also makes the background less blurred. I went for the one I preferred in each case. Other eyes/brains may have made a different choice.

Steve
LennyBloke
Posted 05/06/2023 - 21:35 Link
Nice captures of fleeting moments of their lifecycle - couldn't choose one over another
LennyBloke
davidwozhere
Posted 05/06/2023 - 22:34 Link
I like the second one due to its sense of mystery. The first one is a foregone conclusion. That said, both are a good use of the lens.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Tyr
Posted 17/06/2023 - 10:58 Link
Great photos.
jvs
Posted 18/06/2023 - 14:57 Link
I've always felt that "garden" images don't always have to show flowers in full bloom - and these both reinforce that feeling. That said, the second is outstandingly captured/focussed.
John
Lubbyman
Posted 18/06/2023 - 18:48 Link
jvs wrote:
I've always felt that "garden" images don't always have to show flowers in full bloom

Yesssss!!!!

Steve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.