What should I pay

1947lcs

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 20:07
I have been offered the chance of a Sigma 24 f2.8 Super Wide II lens. Not the AF version. Its clean without fungus.
The seller wants me to make an offer.
Is this lens OK for macro, is it worth buying and what do you think its worth.

Will it work on my K-r?

Thanks

Les
K5, DAL18-55,SMC 50mm f2,DA 55-300, SCM F 35-70 and all the help I can get.
Last Edited by 1947lcs on 23/04/2013 - 20:30

smc

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 20:14
20-25 for the non-A version, 40 for the A version I would say. The ebay completed transactions can be a guide for you. It focuses close but not really macro, although very good reversed.
Last Edited by smc on 23/04/2013 - 20:15

Helpful

Algernon

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 20:48
Excellent lens, possibly the best 24mm although the
Tokina is close.

Watch on ebay they usually go for about 65 - 90
for one in good condition.

I've just done a completed search on ebay and two
have been sold recently in the US for 110 so our
prices must be low. ebay_link

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Helpful

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:14
It's a very good lens. I paid around 65 for mine but sold it when I got the AF version for 90. I preferred the manual focus version to be honest and regret selling it. By the way, I don't think you'll get the AF version for that price now, prices seem to have shot up in the last year or so. I think what I paid for the MF version was reasonable.

It's definitely no macro lens.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 23/04/2013 - 22:15

Helpful

johnwhit

Link Posted 24/04/2013 - 07:08
They're a great lens, at the closest focus distance they'll do 1:4, one quarter life size, not true macro though. If you don't need AF the manual focus one is better built IMHO, I have both.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Helpful

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 24/04/2013 - 08:21
quote:3496ace15f="johnwhit"]They're a great lens, at the closest focus distance they'll do 1:4, one quarter life size, not true macro though. If you don't need AF the manual focus one is better built IMHO, I have both.

John[/quote]

I agree, I have both manual(KA) and AF versions
It is fine for flower close-ups although as John says not a true macro, and of course you have to get quite close to the subject as well. As a 35mm aov equivalent, I find it a useful lens to leave on the camera when you want to travel light. I bought the manual one second hand from SRS for 45 some years ago, on e-bay they now seem to go for 65 and up. I recently got the AF version for 60 from that site, bit of a bargain although it needed a service and clean which cost 30 odd. See below for a flower picture taken with this version last month. The MF version feels sturdier in the hand and quite well built, not far off Pentax A standards (not as nice as SMC-M lenses though) Maybe offer 45-50 if it is in good nick?

[
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

Helpful

johnwhit

Link Posted 24/04/2013 - 08:39
Agree with the above, has a very nice OoF rendering (bokeh) as well IMHO

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Helpful

aliengrove

Link Posted 24/04/2013 - 09:07
I bought mine for 30, from Wildings before they went bust. I doubt you'll get much change from 90 nowadays buying online, looking at recent ebay sales. Make an offer of 45. It will work great on your Kr. It's a brilliant lens, I wouldn't sell mine.

Great for IR too. This was IR on an ist DL

Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 24/04/2013 - 09:08

Helpful

johnwhit

Link Posted 24/04/2013 - 09:13
.....oh, forgot to mention, the focus ring turns in the same direction as a genuine Pentax lens, which is convenient if you manual focus. The early ones may differ but the Synchro II designation would confirm the feature, basically any PKA or AF variant, post 1983 IIRC.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.