What's all this about

Frogherder
Posted 15/05/2011 - 17:44 Link
The other day I noticed a lad walking through town with a tee shirt emblazoned with something similar to
[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff444/Frogherder/IMGP5828.jpg[/IMG]
I thought it was rather odd but not having my camera with me (unusual, but there you go) I was not able to record his pattern.
Then before throwing out a recent newspaper I notice that you can get an AP , presumably to read said square.

Queries-
Is this a new phenominon - why
Is there a PC based AP that read the same from DSLR pics

regards
Bernard
greynolds999
Posted 15/05/2011 - 17:48 Link
If you scan the bar code with your iPod it will download the app. It's just a barcode so in theory you could use the same technology for anything you wanted.
Frogherder
Posted 15/05/2011 - 17:51 Link
That's the gist of my second question. I mobile is a simple send and answer - no camera screen other than a number display or any other hi-falluting gizmos

B
karma mechanic
Posted 15/05/2011 - 17:51 Link
QR codes contain around 100 bytes of data and most mobile devices with cameras can decode them if they are part of the image. Not so sure about software that can decode them from an image on a non-mobile sort of system like Windows - it must exist but isn't so useful.

*edited to add* this probably does the trick but I haven't tried it - http://techie-buzz.com/softwares/read-qr-codes-on-pc.html
My own website is www.richardgaddphotography.com

Also on 500px
Edited by karma mechanic: 15/05/2011 - 17:53
Frogherder
Posted 15/05/2011 - 18:28 Link
Thanks all,
And Thanks for the link Karma - I've downloaded the prog and it runs quite easily.

The example above simply provides a WWW.xxxxxxxx address for a well known food supermarket.

I wonder what was on the lads tee shirt - I'll probably never know

regards
Bernard
Gwyn
Posted 15/05/2011 - 19:16 Link
Recently had an advertising leaflet from Opel trying to flog me cars - except to find about the cars I needed to scan the QR code. Since my phone doesn't even have a camera on it let alone internet it was a waste of paper. Not that I wanted to buy one of their cars anyway.

When you check in online you can have your boarding pass sent to your smart phone - I believe they use QR codes for those.
Algernon
Posted 15/05/2011 - 19:24 Link
Can you buy a Game for the iPad called "Name that Barcode!"
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Frogherder
Posted 15/05/2011 - 20:16 Link
Why? You can't be that desparate can you?

Bernard
CoDa
Posted 15/05/2011 - 22:08 Link
Whats an iPhone?

Are we all lemmings and follow the apple logo?
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Smeggypants
Posted 15/05/2011 - 22:34 Link
CoDa wrote:
Whats an iPhone?

Are we all lemmings and follow the apple logo?
I'm not. I own nothing Apple.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
JamieT
Posted 15/05/2011 - 22:44 Link
I do. Some of their products are outstanding.
K5, LTD 15 SIG 30, SIG 105.
Tyr
Posted 15/05/2011 - 22:50 Link
I wonder of anyone has seen the latest Apple lock down. New iMacs use a proprietary SATA connector for the HDD and a proprietary firmware which means the hard disk cannot be upgraded without going to Apple for an Apple specific version. If you replace it the cooling fans run at full pelt and screech.

Seriously, non-upgradable hard disks just takes the biscuit.
xbow
Posted 15/05/2011 - 23:16 Link
I saw this, apparently it is a standard SATA connector and you can fit non Apple drives. You just need to know how to do it correctly ...

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Anvh
Posted 16/05/2011 - 06:52 Link
It's indeed just a SATA connector but it has 2 more pins for temperture or something like that...
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
layingback
Posted 16/05/2011 - 09:24 Link
CoDa wrote:
Whats an iPhone?

Are we all lemmings and follow the apple logo?
You can get the BarCode app for Android to read QR, and UPC, barcodes.

And a link like this will build a QR code for you http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=150x150&chl=http://layingback.net/... width="166" height="166" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" (I'd hotlink it, but this site doesn't seem to handle spaces in url's.) This one is just a link I use to my website.

You can pack a lot of data into a QR, but as you add data the resolution required goes up reducing the number of mobile phone cameras that can resolve it easily. But they are very useful for retrieving apps from the Android Market eg. If you find an app on your Personal Confuser then you can scan the supplied QR code with your phone's camera and it will download the app without any typing.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo