What lens you using for astro?
Posted 12/10/2013 - 09:08
Link
For aurora and milky way (i.e. wide field night sky shots), I use a Sigma 15mm f2.8.
Not tried any digital astrophotography of any smaller objects, but for the moon something north of 500mm would be useful, and for any smaller / fainter objects than that you're talking telescopes and guiding.
Paul
Not tried any digital astrophotography of any smaller objects, but for the moon something north of 500mm would be useful, and for any smaller / fainter objects than that you're talking telescopes and guiding.
Paul
K3ii, DA16-85, DA35mm Limited, FA77mm Limited, 55mm f1.8 K, 135mm f3.5 M, DA300, DA 1.4 HD TC,
DA16-45, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro
DA16-45, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro
Posted 12/10/2013 - 09:12
Link
Or for deep sky objects a long lens the O-GPS1 and some stacking should give some nice results.
Posted 12/10/2013 - 12:40
Link
Yes I'm hoping to get an O-GPS1 at some point and compatable camera body... currently got K-7
I thought I'd give the DA 15mm f4 prime a spin with it (which I alread have)...
Though I'm also wondering about picknig up a wider fisheye if I can afford, the Samyang 8mm or Pentax 10-17mm perhaps
I thought I'd give the DA 15mm f4 prime a spin with it (which I alread have)...
Though I'm also wondering about picknig up a wider fisheye if I can afford, the Samyang 8mm or Pentax 10-17mm perhaps
K-3ii
Posted 14/10/2013 - 13:16
Link
The best I've ever managed was this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/thatguypinchedmyname/andromeda-s.jpg[/IMG]
Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP lens on a K10D, several stacked 3 minute exposures mounted on a Celestron CG-5 equitorial telescope mount.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/thatguypinchedmyname/andromeda-s.jpg[/IMG]
Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP lens on a K10D, several stacked 3 minute exposures mounted on a Celestron CG-5 equitorial telescope mount.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 14/10/2013 - 19:06
Link
Very good result there Mongoose, I'd like to have done as well.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/10/2013 - 03:47
Link
Trivia: The effective focal length of the Hubble telescope is ...
57600mm and is f/24.0
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/hstQL.html
However it's not a Pentax Model or available in K mount so better not say any more!

57600mm and is f/24.0
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/hstQL.html
However it's not a Pentax Model or available in K mount so better not say any more!

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 15/10/2013 - 12:09
Link
when I lived in Cambridge I had access to the telescopes on the "hill" at the University astronomy department. The larger of the two was roughly a 5000mm f/16.
Alas I never managed to get my K10D mounted on it, it was amazing to look through though, particularly good for planetary astronomy.
There's something about ~10 tonnes of victorian ironwork which is so finely ballanced that you can move it with one hand.
Alas I never managed to get my K10D mounted on it, it was amazing to look through though, particularly good for planetary astronomy.
There's something about ~10 tonnes of victorian ironwork which is so finely ballanced that you can move it with one hand.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 15/10/2013 - 13:23
Link
I suspect you could fit a K mount camera to the Mount Palomar telescope, perhaps that would be long enough for most purposes?
Best regards, John
Posted 15/10/2013 - 13:34
Link
you'd need a substantial bag to carry it around in though John
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 17/10/2013 - 13:09
Link
I've thought about trying my Tair 300mm f4.5.
I also have a 50mm f1.4M series lens which I bought on the cheap as it had some fungus on the internal surfaces of most of the elements. I cleaned it out and it's clearer than my "mint" example now.
The last time I had a go was in 1997 and I used a 50mm f1.7 on an ME Super with good results. I used Fuji 400 ASA slide film and pushed it to 1600.
I also have a 50mm f1.4M series lens which I bought on the cheap as it had some fungus on the internal surfaces of most of the elements. I cleaned it out and it's clearer than my "mint" example now.
The last time I had a go was in 1997 and I used a 50mm f1.7 on an ME Super with good results. I used Fuji 400 ASA slide film and pushed it to 1600.
Cheers,
Ian
Ian
Posted 18/10/2013 - 17:08
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Trivia: The effective focal length of the Hubble telescope is ...
57600mm and is f/24.0
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/hstQL.html
However it's not a Pentax Model or available in K mount so better not say any more!
If I could afford the delivery charges I'm sure convertion would be a minor issue There's likely to be plenty of room for an adapter if you want anything closer than infinity - just think how much extension you'd need to focus down to mere 200m.
Trivia: The effective focal length of the Hubble telescope is ...
57600mm and is f/24.0
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/hstQL.html
However it's not a Pentax Model or available in K mount so better not say any more!
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 20/10/2013 - 20:08
Link
Mongoose wrote:
The best I've ever managed was this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/thatguypinchedmyname/andromeda-s.jpg[/IMG]
Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP lens on a K10D, several stacked 3 minute exposures mounted on a Celestron CG-5 equitorial telescope mount.
Cracking shot!! (I've never managed to find Andromeda, but not for lack of trying!)Is that cropped?The best I've ever managed was this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/thatguypinchedmyname/andromeda-s.jpg[/IMG]
Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP lens on a K10D, several stacked 3 minute exposures mounted on a Celestron CG-5 equitorial telescope mount.
I'll have to give the Orion nebula another go this winter. I hadn't thought of using my 300mm, I tend to think of mounting to my scope all the time.
What stacking software did you use? I have a free version of Registax somewhere, but never got round to installing it.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


437 posts
14 years