What is it that I am looking for?

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 13:39
A few years back I was shown a credit card size and shape piece of aluminium that had engraved upon it the location of the sunrise and sunset for each month of the year.

At the time I thought that it will be a useful item to have in my camera bag, especially for deciding on a location for a dawn photo shoot. It was inexpensive and readily available. Unfortunately, my remaining brain cell has limited capacity and I no longer remember the name of the object, nor of the person who showed it to me, hence the reason for the question.

Do any of you know what it is I'm looking for and where may I purchase one?

Incidentally, living in a north-facing house I get to see the changes during the year of where the sun rises and sets with the way the light enters the house, so it is entirely feasible that I could record the information myself. In practise I am likely to forget to do this for weeks at a time and therefore the project taking several years to be completed...

Thank you.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:01
Something like THIS ?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Helpful

HowardJ

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:04
Hi Nigel,

Is it something like this - link you are looking for?

There seem to be lots of other software, some freebies to do the same sort of thing. I however don't know of any hardware to do it. If you google "ephemeris" you might have better luck than I did.

Hope that helps,

Howard

PS Mike-P has beaten me to it with a much better answer.
Cymru Am Byth

Helpful

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:05
Mike-P wrote:
Something like THIS ?

Very much like that. Thank you Mike!

Google is, in general, very helpful at finding things but it works much better if you know what it is that you are looking for
Nigel.

A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:10
HowardJ wrote:
Hi Nigel,

Is it something like this - link you are looking for?

I had not considered a software-based method of what I was looking for as when I first saw the calculator some years ago I didn't have a so-called smartphone.

The Ephemeris is interesting though and I'll look at it in more detail. Thank you Howard.

Neither option is of any use today, with thick cloud over the tops of the Pennines. We had some rain this morning which is a welcome change for the garden.
Nigel.

Last Edited by LongTimeLurker on 21/07/2013 - 14:11

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:12
LongTimeLurker wrote:

Google is, in general, very helpful at finding things but it works much better if you know what it is that you are looking for

To be honest I just typed "sunset sunrise card" into Google
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:15
A compass can be quite a handy thing
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

DrOrloff

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 14:23
Just what I was thinking and it is useful to have anyway. It's really quite straightforward to work out accurate positions and to learn how the Moon follows the Sun.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 18:28
A compass is very useful and I keep one in my bag.

What is surpising to me, is how much variation there is in just where the sun rises and sets, with the available light having a markedly different effect due to its direction.

DrOrloff: are there any simple guides to learning how the moon follows the sun?
Nigel.

SteveF

Link Posted 21/07/2013 - 19:14
+1 for TPE

Tringa

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 15:29
Another vote for TPE.

TPE and the OS map (either paper or on line (via Bing Maps)) for your chosen area (or whatever is the equivalent of OS if abroad) are a great combination in finding the direction and time of the sunset and rise and possible interesting locations for photos - hills, buildings, rivers, harbours, woods etc.

Dave

Harlequin

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 16:33
I saw a review of Photopills on another site and it seemed quite remarkable..... seems to be only for an iPhone though

http://www.photopills.com/

simonkit

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 17:58
Have a look at the "Sun Surveyor" app for Android, costs £4.39 but worth every penny, shows sun/moon path on a 3D compass with timings

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

sebas77

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 13:57
+1 for sunsurveyor, but you can use this as well:

http://www.suncalc.net/

Helpful

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 25/08/2013 - 23:58
sebas77 wrote:
+1 for sunsurveyor, but you can use this as well:

http://www.suncalc.net/

Thank you. That is a helpful site. Easy to use too.
Nigel.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.