What I would Like
Posted 18/07/2007 - 20:28
Link
Actually I just noticed this on rereading the linked DPR thread:
Roland Mabo: The "Super" upgrade to the K10D is more about firmware than hardware, it is a marketing thing to tell the customers that it is still fresh and new so it can live longer on the market. Kind of what Nikon did with D70 that became the D70S.
(the firmware will be available for existing users as a download).
That to me sounds very much like the newly released Grand Prix Ltd Editon.

The only difference apart from bling factor is that the shipping firmware is more contemporary. Patently not worth waiting for.
Then again Roland contradicts himself by saying elsewhere the K10D Super will have a more substantive work over in terms of minor hardware revisions.
who's to know?
Roland Mabo: The "Super" upgrade to the K10D is more about firmware than hardware, it is a marketing thing to tell the customers that it is still fresh and new so it can live longer on the market. Kind of what Nikon did with D70 that became the D70S.
(the firmware will be available for existing users as a download).
That to me sounds very much like the newly released Grand Prix Ltd Editon.

The only difference apart from bling factor is that the shipping firmware is more contemporary. Patently not worth waiting for.
Then again Roland contradicts himself by saying elsewhere the K10D Super will have a more substantive work over in terms of minor hardware revisions.
who's to know?
Posted 18/07/2007 - 20:33
Link
Quote:
What's being discussed here is something that was initially raised in Phil Askleys infamous review where he apparently identified a 'flaw' in the way the K10D processes it's JPEGs - something specific to black edge sharpness that cannot be corrected for by adjusting the in camera processing parameters (ie sharpness levels), the overall effect being a global softening of the picture and so some loss of detail, basically not as 'punchy' as the Nikon 200D for example which uses the same sensor - but it's probably fixable I'd imagine in PP treatment
The bit that most folk choose to ommit from PA's review is probably the most important statement in relation to pentax jpg's...........What's being discussed here is something that was initially raised in Phil Askleys infamous review where he apparently identified a 'flaw' in the way the K10D processes it's JPEGs - something specific to black edge sharpness that cannot be corrected for by adjusting the in camera processing parameters (ie sharpness levels), the overall effect being a global softening of the picture and so some loss of detail, basically not as 'punchy' as the Nikon 200D for example which uses the same sensor - but it's probably fixable I'd imagine in PP treatment
Quote:
That said it's unlikely you'll see this difference in any print up to A3 size, it's a 100% view thing so you have to decide if that's important to you or not.
Get your cash out and enjoy a superb camera
That said it's unlikely you'll see this difference in any print up to A3 size, it's a 100% view thing so you have to decide if that's important to you or not.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Posted 18/07/2007 - 22:54
Link
Quote:
How can a lens be responsible for contrast without definition, or vice versa?
Modulation Transfer Function summarises the lens performace and the objective is for a pattern with say 100% contrast to have 100% contrast on the CCD. In practice this is not possible and certain optical defects compromise the image, so a MTF value of 70% might be achieved.How can a lens be responsible for contrast without definition, or vice versa?
Now we know how well contrast is reproduced we have to define at what level of detail. At low resolutions the MTF will be high as it is not difficult to design a lens that reproduces coarse detail. Let's say 90%. At very high resolutions the detail will be reproduced ever more fuzzily and our MTF value might be only 30%.
All these properties are interdependent and if you design a high resolution lens you have to accept compromises in some other property, maybe contrast, maybe distortion.
Many modern lenses are very sharp, have good resolution, high contrast but the "drawing" (the ability to have straight lines reproduced as straight lines and not curves) is often allowed to drift a little.
The lens is critical in providing a high quality image to the film or sensor. There are plenty of books on optics if you want to pursue the subject.
Best regards, John
Posted 18/07/2007 - 23:33
Link
I hope it is a firmware refresh and then bundling the grip with the camera as a package.
If not I've got my K10D and it meets (exceeds) my general requirements. So I really shouldn't be thinking about other cameras (except possibly a second K10D).
If not I've got my K10D and it meets (exceeds) my general requirements. So I really shouldn't be thinking about other cameras (except possibly a second K10D).
Posted 22/07/2007 - 14:36
Link
Quote:
Well, that sounds impressive.
Hopefully Pentax can shed some light into the delays with the lenses once they are shipping that would make me feel they are anywhere near being capable of production on that scale. Until it happens, I find it hard to believe.
But, fingers crossed.
Of course they are going to need a big marketing campaign if they want people to buy that wide of range of products and allow it to be profitable for them. Of course, this was also hinted by others on the forum.
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few months.
I love your "Avatar"...Is it one of your interests?
Well, that sounds impressive.
Hopefully Pentax can shed some light into the delays with the lenses once they are shipping that would make me feel they are anywhere near being capable of production on that scale. Until it happens, I find it hard to believe.
But, fingers crossed.
Of course they are going to need a big marketing campaign if they want people to buy that wide of range of products and allow it to be profitable for them. Of course, this was also hinted by others on the forum.
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few months.
Posted 22/07/2007 - 14:49
Link
Quote:
I love your "Avatar"...Is it one of your interests?
he, he, thanks. I love your "Avatar"...Is it one of your interests?
I suppose as much an interest as anyone else.
Mainly it is a small portion of my portfolio image that I used on ePHOTOzine. (me standing against a wall with this painted on it. I was wearing sunglasses that almost match the eyes. )
Of course my user name on that site is 'anthonym', just to confuse myself.
Posted 23/07/2007 - 22:21
Link
Quote:
I suppose as much an interest as anyone else.
Mainly it is a small portion of my portfolio image that I used on ePHOTOzine. (me standing against a wall with this painted on it. I was wearing sunglasses that almost match the eyes. )
Of course my user name on that site is 'anthonym', just to confuse myself.
One of my passions..Been studying the phenomena for about 20 years. Kind of an amateur specialist. Read "Disclosure" by Dr. Steven Greer.benjikan wrote:
I love your "Avatar"...Is it one of your interests?
he, he, thanks. I love your "Avatar"...Is it one of your interests?
I suppose as much an interest as anyone else.
Mainly it is a small portion of my portfolio image that I used on ePHOTOzine. (me standing against a wall with this painted on it. I was wearing sunglasses that almost match the eyes. )
Of course my user name on that site is 'anthonym', just to confuse myself.
Ben
Posted 30/07/2007 - 07:38
Link
A quieter shutter and lenses (DA NEW Lenses excluded when they arrive ?) especially for wildlife and weddings. Compared to other DLSR the K10D seems a bit noisy. Why I ask ??
Pete
Pete
Wedding & Portrait photographer
Posted 30/07/2007 - 10:54
Link
Quote:
A quieter shutter and lenses (DA NEW Lenses excluded when they arrive ?) especially for wildlife and weddings. Compared to other DLSR the K10D seems a bit noisy. Why I ask ??
Pete
You've asked that already!A quieter shutter and lenses (DA NEW Lenses excluded when they arrive ?) especially for wildlife and weddings. Compared to other DLSR the K10D seems a bit noisy. Why I ask ??
Pete
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 30/07/2007 - 11:00
Link
I don't find my K10D noisy, especially AF operation, much better than the old P&S (mirror excluded).
My only requirement is more lenses:
135f2.8 (I guess the 50-135 would do...)
200f2.8 (on it's way)
My only requirement is more lenses:
135f2.8 (I guess the 50-135 would do...)
200f2.8 (on it's way)
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


967 posts
20 years
Virginia,
USA
Hopefully Pentax can shed some light into the delays with the lenses once they are shipping that would make me feel they are anywhere near being capable of production on that scale. Until it happens, I find it hard to believe.
But, fingers crossed.
Of course they are going to need a big marketing campaign if they want people to buy that wide of range of products and allow it to be profitable for them. Of course, this was also hinted by others on the forum.
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few months.