What do you think?

RobL

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 10:59
In a small unused church near me is a superb example of Anglo-Saxon carving which I photographed conventionally using pixel shift. Being of soft oolitic limestone the original crispness has gone but you can still make out scales on the dragon etc. so I decided to post process to try and bring out as much of the original detail as possible; rather than black/white I tried a green caste to reflect the arboreal nature of this type of art - think of the green man and so on. Do you think it works? I am thinking of doing a series based on surviving examples where the style has persisted in small rural communities long after the Norman Conquest and the spread of Christianity.

Or do you prefer the original colouring?

Last Edited by RobL on 31/08/2020 - 11:06

Aitch53

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 11:55
Original for me. Maybe up the contrast slightly?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

RobL

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 12:26
Thanks Aitch53 I am beginning to think the same. I have tweaked the exposure a bit and refined the edges where I blacked out the background:

This upload has taken away some of the sharpness in the original:link
Last Edited by RobL on 31/08/2020 - 12:32

danofmk

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 12:42
Is there a wider shot where the composition is more balanced?

RobL

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 12:56
danofmk wrote:
Is there a wider shot where the composition is more balanced?

Here:

Last Edited by RobL on 31/08/2020 - 12:56

swarf

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 18:11
Original colour for me. A 'project' based on this sounds like an interesting idea.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

MrB

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 21:34
The natural stone appeals to me also, Rob. What was the original background?

Philip

RobL

Link Posted 31/08/2020 - 22:34
That sounds a unanimous vote for the natural look. MrB, the stone isn’t in its original place, it was uncovered from behind panelling where it had been re-used and is now sitting on a shelf against a plaster wall and held in place by steel straps, hence my idea to hide all that and isolate it.

Swarf, nice examples are spread pretty thin but I was interested to see how similar the motifs are to Celtic and Norse art; at a time of conflict between regions before unification as well as battling the Vikings yet they seem to share a common artistic style rooted in pre-Christian beliefs. It is hard to believe now but 1000 years ago England was mostly forest with settlements in clearings and rivers forming the main trade and invasion routes - a temperate version of the Amazon and Borneo today. The forest was a source of food and materials but also of unknown terrors populated by mythical beasts so it is no wonder it figured so large in stories (Gawain and the Green Knight) and as a source of artistic inspiration. When looking at objects like this I like to imagine the man wielding the chisel and mallet and feel the 1000 year gulf evaporate.
Last Edited by RobL on 31/08/2020 - 22:36

womble

Link Posted 01/09/2020 - 18:28
Natural for me too.

Although there was more woodland, it was not as extreme as you suggest. Don't forget the word "forest" had legal connotations rather than the modern meaning of dense woodland (eg. the New Forest) and woodland was as much a crop as arable.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.