What do you shoot?
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 22/11/2010 - 13:19
Link
I shoot RAW because it allows me to mess-up now and again and rescue something from the ashes. In controlled circumstances or for people who are very experienced and adept at getting the image close to perfect in camera, jpegs can, clearly, be all that is needed.
I made the transition from jpg to RAW when I discovered Lightroom. I am, most of the time, unaware that I am doing anything very different to what I was doing with jpgs previously.
Like so many things, as long as whatever you are doing works for you, then carry on doing it! If John R will excuse me using him as an example, I can often spot his photos because of the technical quality and competence they exhibit, and John shoots jpegs.
My biggest concern at the moment is that all my RAW images are held as PEFs with xml sidebar files from Lightroom. This is not a viable long term archiving strategy and I really need to convert them to DNGs. It'll be a big job!
Best wishes and happy snapping, K.
K.
I made the transition from jpg to RAW when I discovered Lightroom. I am, most of the time, unaware that I am doing anything very different to what I was doing with jpgs previously.
Like so many things, as long as whatever you are doing works for you, then carry on doing it! If John R will excuse me using him as an example, I can often spot his photos because of the technical quality and competence they exhibit, and John shoots jpegs.
My biggest concern at the moment is that all my RAW images are held as PEFs with xml sidebar files from Lightroom. This is not a viable long term archiving strategy and I really need to convert them to DNGs. It'll be a big job!
Best wishes and happy snapping, K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 22/11/2010 - 13:39
Link
I'm using RAW 99% of the time. Used to go for jpegs out of my K10 when buffer speed was an issue shooting an action stuff. But the K-7 is loads better in that respect and I don't think I've shot a single jpeg with it out of 8000+ images (and counting).
For landscape and any slower, more considered work, I've being working really hard on following 'expose to the right' techniques to maxmimise the lattitude I have to play with in LR. Out of the camera like that they can look down-right awful but with a few tweaks I'm getting results that I'm pleased with and shots that have a nice 'zing' about them!
Must get round to posting some recent examples - have chopped down over a 1000 shots from a 5 day trip to the lakes to around 70 or 80 that warrant doing some more serious PP'ing with.
For landscape and any slower, more considered work, I've being working really hard on following 'expose to the right' techniques to maxmimise the lattitude I have to play with in LR. Out of the camera like that they can look down-right awful but with a few tweaks I'm getting results that I'm pleased with and shots that have a nice 'zing' about them!
Must get round to posting some recent examples - have chopped down over a 1000 shots from a 5 day trip to the lakes to around 70 or 80 that warrant doing some more serious PP'ing with.
Spirit_of_will
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Posted 23/11/2010 - 00:38
Link
RAW used to be more difficult to deal with in the early days, when software was rather rough and ready. But now, it's really no big deal. As Womble says, the advantage of RAW is that it allows you to screw up a bit, and still have a picture to show for it.
As I've pointed out before, the real pros use JPEG, because they never screw up.
I shoot RAW.
G
As I've pointed out before, the real pros use JPEG, because they never screw up.
I shoot RAW.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 23/11/2010 - 10:17
Link
cabstar wrote:
sounds like hard work to me....
what do you do with your photos, make them and throw them away?Anvh wrote:
If so that isn't true, i actually shoot most in manual so that they have the same setting/exposure so that i can batch process 3 to 5 and some times more at one time.
Off those 304 shots i only need to edit 40 times or so because of that, it goes quite fast.
So what i'm actually doing is time saving so that i dont get insomnia
At my explanation to TT or my shooting?
so you edit all 304 images you have shot & then what? keep them all?duncanM wrote:
You must be an insomniac, Stefan! It sounds like you are exposing as metered, a bit under, and a bit over, (for each shot) and then further correcting at pp stage!
You think i bracket the shot?You must be an insomniac, Stefan! It sounds like you are exposing as metered, a bit under, and a bit over, (for each shot) and then further correcting at pp stage!
If so that isn't true, i actually shoot most in manual so that they have the same setting/exposure so that i can batch process 3 to 5 and some times more at one time.
Off those 304 shots i only need to edit 40 times or so because of that, it goes quite fast.
So what i'm actually doing is time saving so that i dont get insomnia
Don wrote:
I'm sorry Stephen, but sometimes I think you overcomplicate things.
Where was that aimed at?I'm sorry Stephen, but sometimes I think you overcomplicate things.
At my explanation to TT or my shooting?
sounds like hard work to me....
I don't edit them all some get throw away right away and some are kept stored without processing.
Like said i try to batch process most of them so even not the good ones get an edit if there is a good one which have the same lighting condition.
Lightroom does all the organizing and RAW processing, it does work really fast and easy.
I spend more time editing the best shots in photoshop for output.
If we didn't had computers I would probably spend most of my time in the darkroom, it's just another side of photography really.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 04:13
Link
I always shoot Raw. It gives more options when processing,for example using plug-ins. Also I find aerial shots need a lot of work on levels, the histogram is very narrow when it is bright and hazy, so jpeg is not really an option for those.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 19:58
Link
RAW+JPG for me.
Although I process 99% of my shots from the K10D and K20D from the RAW file, I appreciate having a JPG there too for reference so I know what shot is what (I don't have Lightroom - got put off with LR 1.1, but I hear LR3 is so much better.)
Occasionally there may be a jpg (the other 1%) that the camera has processed that I like and will use that instead.
Plus from time to time like the recent Romiley Horse show, they only wanted JPG's there and then so RAW files would be useless.
Yes, it fills up cards and hard drives, but memory is cheap these days.
Although I process 99% of my shots from the K10D and K20D from the RAW file, I appreciate having a JPG there too for reference so I know what shot is what (I don't have Lightroom - got put off with LR 1.1, but I hear LR3 is so much better.)
Occasionally there may be a jpg (the other 1%) that the camera has processed that I like and will use that instead.
Plus from time to time like the recent Romiley Horse show, they only wanted JPG's there and then so RAW files would be useless.
Yes, it fills up cards and hard drives, but memory is cheap these days.
Some Cameras
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



3665 posts
18 years
Grimsby,
UK
You must be an insomniac, Stefan! It sounds like you are exposing as metered, a bit under, and a bit over, (for each shot) and then further correcting at pp stage!
If so that isn't true, i actually shoot most in manual so that they have the same setting/exposure so that i can batch process 3 to 5 and some times more at one time.
Off those 304 shots i only need to edit 40 times or so because of that, it goes quite fast.
So what i'm actually doing is time saving so that i dont get insomnia
I'm sorry Stephen, but sometimes I think you overcomplicate things.
At my explanation to TT or my shooting?
sounds like hard work to me....
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released