What do you do?

punkrockemo

Link Posted 30/07/2014 - 22:54
If you find yourself in a situation such as well known landmark or some other site where you have seen lots of successful photos, do you allow yourself to take the picture that you have seen so many times before or do you stop yourself and find another angle etc or even both

Blythman

Link Posted 30/07/2014 - 22:57
Not ashamed to say, I'm quite happy to get the cliche shot. Its probably why you went there anyway, so it must be a bit special. It eases you into the shoot too
Alan

PPG
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 30/07/2014 - 23:32
I'm always looking for something new in a shot, so even when I've visited a place many times I'm still digging for a new angle.

It can be quite difficult, but it makes the mind do some work.
Best regards, John

wozzo

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 02:14
I'd probably go with both. The cliche shot should hopefully be fairly easy to figure out so I'll get that out the way and then start finding all the new ways to look at it.

Mike_L_76

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 02:36
Belts and braces for me. Get the cliche and then look for something different.

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 08:28
Cliché shot first, then the new angle. Sometimes you can't do anything but take the cliché shot though, due to restrictions at the site.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 08:29
Depends whether the place is new to me or not. If it is new to me - I will simply look for the best shots - if many others have done the same before me - so be it.

If it is a place I have visited frequently - then I will always be looking for a new take on it or to improve on previous shots.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Justso

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 08:51
For me it depends on the light and weather conditions. I don't see much point in taking the cliche shot if the light is flat or the sun is in an unfavourable position, other than purely as a record shot. In this case I would think about other pictures to take. However, if conditions are favourable I would do what I could to get a good exapmle of the cliche shot.

stub

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 10:12
If im going to a new place. I usually research shots done previously on Flickr. I shamelessly copy my favourite ones, So at least I have what are most likely the money shots. Then see If I can add any of my own variations...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

bforbes

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 10:25
Even if you had not seen the cliche shot before surely it's the one that's going to stand out to be taken.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

RussV

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 10:55
wozzo wrote:
I'd probably go with both. The cliche shot should hopefully be fairly easy to figure out so I'll get that out the way and then start finding all the new ways to look at it.

+1

Although I wouldn't share my cliche shots on the web, what's the point?
www.russv.me.uk

stub

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 11:09
Quote:

If no one sees your work. What indeed is the point ? Self gratification is a lonely place...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

RussV

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 12:03
stub wrote:
Quote:

If no one sees your work. What indeed is the point ? Self gratification is a lonely place...

Just my approach to things. I don't think anyone takes much notice of shots they've seen dozens of times before. An original shot of a familar subject would be different though.
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 31/07/2014 - 12:05

walkeja

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 13:07
I do what I please, but usually the iconic one first, then my own, e.g.

Not the usual shot of the bridge.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Last Edited by walkeja on 31/07/2014 - 13:07

fritzthedog

Link Posted 31/07/2014 - 13:17
If we are sharing non-cliche bridge shots - I can name yours - can you name mine?

Always makes me smile when we slide in to a cliche shot debate. Is looking for a shot that isn't a cliche in itself a cliche?

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 31/07/2014 - 13:26
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.