Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Weird Ricoh AF 50mm Lens

graevy
Posted 23/02/2012 - 20:10 Link
Has anyone ever come across one of these before:

link

Is it

a) compatible with Pentax DLSRs?
b) likely to need repair, or is the infinity focus down to the seller missing something?
c) any good?
sorted78
Posted 23/02/2012 - 20:59 - Helpful Comment Link
I think you may have difficulty mounting it on a Pentax DSLR, since the focus mechanism looks as if it will be obstructed by the viewfinder/flash.

I have a Vivitar mirror lens that I can only mount on extension tubes for the same reason.

In answer to your other questions:

b) I don't know how it should work, but it doesn't sound quite right and the description suggests that seller isn't confident either.

c) Ricoh 50mm lenses are quite good (as are most 50mm lenses), but this may be a moot point, since it is unlikely to fit on a DSLR!
fatspider
Posted 23/02/2012 - 23:58 Link
That's a new one on me, probably trying to imitate Pentax and OLys first attempts at AF lenses, although with theirs the batteries and gubbins were slung underneath the lens.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
pentaxian450
Posted 24/02/2012 - 00:09 Link
sorted78 wrote:
I don't know how it should work,

It seems to work more or less like the first Pentax AF lens.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
johnha
Posted 24/02/2012 - 00:16 Link
It doesn't appear to have the Ricoh Kr connection which suggests it's really old (I can't think of a reason why they'd omit it). As sorted mentioned it'd probably foul the pentaprism of my K-5 (do all Pentax DSLR prisms overhang the mount?), but might fit the 'M' cameras whose prisms are flush with the mount (my Super-A overhangs slightly).

I seem to remember somebody (Cosina perhaps?) made some AF lenses which would work on a manual focus body, but that was some form of zoom IIRC?

Having seen the two 'windows' on the front it looks like it used IR to focus like most of the the 35mm compacts.
K10D
Posted 24/02/2012 - 00:24 Link
Its a Ricoh Visitronic module, first seen in 1980.

See all the old systems here link The Pentax K2DMD also used a Honeywell based system.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Edited by K10D: 24/02/2012 - 00:28
Algernon
Posted 24/02/2012 - 09:32 Link
Interesting page Gary especially about the Contax mess
Expensive lenses needed with a new bayonet for AF after people
had spent thousands on CZ MF glass
No wonder Kyocera eventually pulled the plug!

http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
johnha
Posted 24/02/2012 - 23:56 Link
Algernon - probably why they later went for the moving film plane AF system. I'm surprised their 645 didn't survive though, being a new system and all.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.