Weekly Competitions - Closing Time - A Suggestion

Hyram

Link Posted 02/03/2008 - 22:02
I was wondering whether it might be better if the closing time for the submission of entries to the weekly competition was 6.00pm GMT on Sundays rather than midnight.

This would give the unlucky person who has to judge the competition some time on a Sunday evening (if they live in northern europe) to carry out this task rather than having to find time on a Monday morning, when many are at work.

I realise that this presumably would be of no benefit whatsoever for those forum members in other parts of the world and therefore might be rejected for this reason alone.

I believe that Lilly stills holds the world record for the fastest judging ever
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

gartmore

Link Posted 02/03/2008 - 22:53
Hyram,

You are totally missing the point here. The midnight deadline is just further punishment for winning, the whole idea is to be second.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

MX veteran

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 00:07
A good idea for those of us in the UK but don't forget this a global thing!
K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 70mm macro and lots of old lenses

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 07:34
I think everyone can be aware of the midnight closing rime and relate that easily to their own local time.

Whatever time is chosen will be good for some and less good for others, so the midnight deadline is as good as any I think.
Best regards, John

Hyram

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 08:37
gartmore wrote:
Hyram,

You are totally missing the point here. The midnight deadline is just further punishment for winning, the whole idea is to be second.

Ken

Ah !

Now I understand.

In fact the aim must be to come a highly commended second having been just pipped at the post by the smallest possible margin by the winner
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Malo1961

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 13:27
An other reason not to change the closing time :
A lot of people have only the weekend to take up photography.
By changing the closing time you could make it harder to submit before closing. Just keep it the way it is, and try to win second place
Just MHO,obviously
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 16:54
Judges can pretty much judge as soon as one has been submitted, the order in which they come can be decided very quickly; the bulk of the work can be done beforehand because the critisicms aren't relative to other photos.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M

AdrianP

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 17:16
I'll at first admit my UK-centric bias here, and also concede that I've never been in the lucky/unlucky position to have to judge the result, but I'll go on record and say that I don't think this should be a Sunday competition at all. I think it should close late, probably midnight, on Monday.

Like most people, I work during the week and find it difficult to get any outdoor photography done outside of the weekend; unless I want hundreds of shots of the Strand or Embankment Gardens that is. So when I come back after a day of shooting for the competition on a Saturday or Sunday I find it difficult, from a domestic point of view, to then lock myself upstairs processing the images for several hours. Having the extra day would be a real bonus for me.

Of course, if you follow my logic then I've just proved that no one who works can enter the competition and we don't ever get any entries for it. That's obviously not true (the problem seems to be that we actually get too many great entries ) but it might not hurt to try mixing things up a bit to see if the competition could be improved.

Adrian

Lilly

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 17:31
Hyram wrote:

I believe that Lilly stills holds the world record for the fastest judging ever

True, but I was well orgainsed with that mammoth number of entries, as I judged as they rolled in, plus, I am now lucky I don't do 9-5 anymore TG not like other PS's.
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

Kal 10 d

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 20:58
[quote="AdrianP

to then lock myself upstairs processing the images for several hours. Having the extra day would be a real bonus for me.

... May i politely suggest that at least one competition week could be one when editting is against the rules, as sometimes it seems a case that its not how good your pictures are,but how good a editor you are!!! And for the few that dont have the experience or access to editting programs ,might just give us a chance-after all this is a photograph comp'-Not an editting comp'...is that not what photography is all about ?????

Boo hoo me as much as you like....just my opinion
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..

johnriley

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 21:10
All someone has to do is set a competition brief that states images straight out of camera with no editing whatsoever. To set this competition you need to win one first...(or persuade some other winner that it's a good idea)

All things are possible.
Best regards, John

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 22:05
If you are complaining (perhaps you just dislike the idea, this is just my advice), try downloading trials of software, or the free GIMPshop; search google. It is a modified version of GIMP suited to the photoshop names and layout, so if you do ever upgrade, you will be reasonably close to knowing your program.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M

serendipity

Link Posted 03/03/2008 - 22:19
ikillrocknroll wrote:
If you are complaining (perhaps you just dislike the idea, this is just my advice), try downloading trials of software, or the free GIMPshop; search google. It is a modified version of GIMP suited to the photoshop names and layout, so if you do ever upgrade, you will be reasonably close to knowing your program.

I can see that the pp is becoming more important/talked about than the actual photography. Maybe it's best left to the experts?
I do like manipulation, but there is still no substitute for a real photograph, this would be my main aim and goal to achieve, before mastering photoshop or other programs But I still have a loooong way to go!
Just my five bobs worth

Serendipity (Mick)

K10D,K100D Super.

mikew

Link Posted 04/03/2008 - 07:11
But surely a RAW image from the camera generally will need post processing even if it's just conversion to JPEG. It's just the same as darkroom work was with negatives. Some people would be happy to simply print onto standard contrast paper, no dodging etc while others like me were more nerdy and spent happy hours mucking about in the dark.

If you mean no cropping and that type of manipulation I'm all with that as part of the challenge. I like to get the image as right as I can in the viewfinder.

Mike

Kal 10 d

Link Posted 04/03/2008 - 07:14
[quote="mikew
If you mean no cropping and that type of manipulation I'm all with that as part of the challenge. I like to get the image as right as I can in the viewfinder.

Thankyou for your positive replies- i was half expecting to be kicked out .... . I'm still here !!!!
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.