Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Weekly Competition No.24 RECYCLED

Lilly
Posted 24/12/2007 - 12:11 Link
Hefty1: A straight forward shot of items waiting recycling, I like the way its split in half but feel the lighting could have been adjusted for more atmosphere, bit soft also.

Dirk1000: I found the lighting (flash?) very flat and kills what could have been a nice portrait, skin tone a bit orangey and not too sharp.

Clarky: another straight forward record shot of a recycling dump, sorry but not a lot of interest to keep my attention, sorry Clarky.

Niblue: a wonderful candid shot loved it, perfectly executed and very sweet but feel it only just comes under ‘recycled’.

Daniel Bridge: very nice, Dan the macro man, an image of an item that has been recycled, a champagne cork cage. Well produced, scale ref inc., did you set it up specially and what is the relevance of ‘Elyce’? Well deserved FIRST PLACE.

AJ: I love this also, I love the way all the vertical and horizontals play with your eyes, it has many visual planes and the orange item in front works as it draws the eye into the scene.

John Riley: there is no denying it is recycled and a monster! I did find the stone building distracting, I might have been tempted to go in tighter and from a more unusual angle and played with the DOF to focus on some of the recycled items, main subject didn’t seem very sharp to me either.

Deecy: Great shot, nice angle, adds a bit of drama, DOF perfect and fits the remit. HIGHLY COMMENDED

Nimitz: I like the patterned affect of this and the soft misty backdrop, however, the left tree trunk spoils it for me, drags my eye to left. Cropping the tree improves the shot IMHO!

Sussexsurfer: Ingenious, someone who is thinking outside of the box! Very good, slams it in your face ‘recycled’. Like the subtle touch of the mono print in the box! A shot that is very original and plays with the mind. SECOND PLACE

Utopia Poppy: Bit of an untidy lot down there in Aylesbury, blimey, what will it be like after Christmas! To give this a bit more impact I would have cropped tighter on top and left hand side, a levels adjustment would have given the colour tonal range more oomph!

Unlocker: You are an untidy lot in Aylesbury , suppose this is the same location? Now, I hope you do not mind, apologies if you do, but I thought this would be ideal for a mono shot, lots of great tones, so I took the liberty of illustrating how this image could be improved from a different 'angle'.
Comment Image

Lenscape: Very neat and very simple well set up shot. Technically good and yes fits the bill, batteries are being recycled once recharged. THIRD PLACE

Well done Dan again, and everyone for entering for a theme that was not as straight forward as I thought at the time of conception.
VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL, I am off for the first of the day, have a good one, over to you Dan!
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Unlocker
Posted 24/12/2007 - 12:31 Link
Never even thought of black & white for that!

Must admit I did read that you were looking for 'impact' and think that the colour version has more 'punch'? (Of course, I'm probably wrong!)

Either way, I'm still learning, so of course I don't mind as this was my first entry, and all comments are welcome!

Must admit, I was very tempted to put in the shot I took that was exactly the same as Hefty's, but I thought, that might have taken recycling too far!

Was also the first time out with my new DA* 50-135 on a very foggy day. Got loads of learning still to do with this photography lark!

Merry Christmas all!
johnriley
Posted 24/12/2007 - 12:36 Link
Cheers, Liily, well adjuducated! I will say though that you don't go close to monsters as they lumber towards you....

OK< Daniel Bridge, over to you Sir!

Best regards, John
hefty1
Posted 24/12/2007 - 13:11 Link
Excellent judging Lilly and congratulations to Daniel - a fantastic shot and my choice too!

And if anyone from the Aylesbury Vale Tourist Office happens across this thread then I'm very, very sorry....
Joining the Q
Daniel Bridge
Posted 24/12/2007 - 14:04 Link
Lilly wrote:
...did you set it up specially and what is the relevance of ‘Elyce’?

Ahh, thanks Lilly! This was taken at a wedding in the summer, and these were on the tables to show where people were sitting - Elyce is my niece. Girls had these, boys had corks with cards in the top.

Right, well, I'll have a little think and post a theme for this week shortly. Might make it an easy one with plenty of opportunities for pics...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
sussexsurfer
Posted 24/12/2007 - 17:01 Link
Thanks Lilly for your kind comments.

Being a newbie at this I'm really chuffed to get 2nd place.

Happy Christmas to everyone.
lenscape
Posted 24/12/2007 - 18:07 Link
Nice judging, Lilly. Thanks for your comments.

Obviously not enough mono for you in the submissions so you made your own. Made me chuckle.

There you go picking a subject crying out for drab, depressing interpretations and barely a mono submission among them.

lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.