Weekly Competition No 23 : Light

McBrian

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 07:14
Hi All

Thanks for all your entries, will get cracking on the judging, back with the results this evening
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

McBrian

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 20:04
Please remind me not to win this again, must be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, remember I'm no expert at this.

AlfaFoxtrot: Very nice perspective of a lit Eiffel Tower, pushed a bit too far in processing for my liking although this may be due to the use of high iso in a small sensor camera.

Ammonyte: I like the setup; the contrasting primary colours work for me as does the rear lighting (?) which gives a nice halo effect. I had a hard job figuring out how many light sources were used (3?), these could have been better balanced in my view (double shadow), also looks a bit on the soft side.

Clarky: Nice use of the out of focus flower in the back ground to simulate a light source, I like how the stem takes you from one side to the other,, A bit of fill flash may have helped to bring out some more detail in the fly. I would have cropped a bit green off the top and left side to put the fly in the top left third.

Daniel Bridge: Super shot, great use of the theme in both contexts. perfect exposure, superb colours, love how the sky goes from deep to light blue at the horizon. If I have to nitpick, I would have got rid of the hills to give the subject a more ďfreeď look. Contender

Don: Nice side lighting and a good piece of light painting, Iíve tried to do this before, itís extremely hard to balance the static light and the light painting and get it all exposed correctly, the red and purple strokes along the bottom donít work for me.

Galoot: Good control of the reflected sunlight which produces a nice silhouette and reflection of the yacht, got a great feeling of loneliness, would love to see this as huge print.

GarryMoffat: You should have left your first post up nicely exposed still life but no drama; still think it leans to the left. (When am I getting my new PC

Gwyn: Superb capture, very atmospheric, could be used as a ďLassie comes home ď poster. 3rd place

HowardJ: Like Garyís effort, nicely exposed but no drama.

LiamD: Really liked this one, maybe a bit of detail in the dark areas would enhance it but thatís nit picking, another wall hanger.

Lilly: Love the way the light fades from the top to the bottom; you can feel the wetness on the slabs. 1st Place

MX veteren: Nice doggie, but the shot does nothing for me, sorry

Nimitz: As above, sorry

Prieni: Very nice city scape, like how the light beams look like WWII search lights, would have liked the sky to be a bit darker to add a bit more contrast. contender

Zach Abubeker: Canít make up my minf if this is the sky seen through foliage or one of jungle taken from 10,000ft, whatever it is it doesnít work for me, sorry

Ericp: I quiet like this, reminds me a bit of a scene from a disaster movie where everybody has to run from whatever is happening, could have been a bit sharper.

Freetobe: Lovely landscape, I like how the light is playing on the hills and picks out what looks like a path rising from the trees, a bit mor contrast in the green may help it to stand out a bit more from the crowd.

Gartmore: Quite like how the sky goes from a misty look along the horizon to a quilted look up high, lacks any real contrast for me, sorry

Hefty: Like Donís nicely done, would have been nice if the light trails tried to write something.

Ikillrocknroll: Beautiful misty morning light, love how the fence posts disappear in to the mist. Contender

Johnriley: Nice use of fading, the green light adds a bit of mystery to the scene, yhe lighted tunnel at the back takes some of the atmosphere away for me.

Justgetoutandride: Love this shot, great use of light sources (2?) amazing detail in the hair with just the right amount of highlights. 2nd Place

Lenscape: Very nicely captured, great Christmas scene that could grace any xmas card.

Niblue: Very nice holiday brochure shot, great control of the setting sun, my only nit pick is the angled horizon (I tried it straight but then the parasols look weird).

Pnjmcc:, I suppose I asked for this
Iíve deliberated for half an hour on what to say here, still canít think of anything without feeling bad, sorry

Pschlute: Nice, I like the blue effect, gives it a cold yet hot feeling, I just about missed the boat though, again would like to see this as huge print.

Simonkit: Another superb shot, wish I had these sort of views near me, beautiful evening sky. Contender

Sussexsurfer: My wife loves these kind of shots but I always think they come out too messy, a lower perspective sometimes works better I my view, sorry

Viewfinder: Nice fairground scene, again I would have liked to see the sky darker, a smaller aperture and longer exposure (use of tripod) would have helped.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

hefty1

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 20:25
McBrian wrote:
Hefty: Like Donís nicely done, would have been nice if the light trails tried to write something.

It was supposed to be a stick man but at -3 degrees in a freezing field I gave up after about 20 attempts and just stuck the closest approximation in instead.

Anyway, good job on the judging and congratulations to Lilly. Another strong field this week!
Joining the Q

Clarky

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 20:27
Thanks Brian well done (stop apologising ). And congrats Lilly for another win.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 20:36
Congratulations Lilly! As soon as I saw it I knew it was the winner!

Thankyou for my 3rd place Brian.

HowardJ

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 20:38
Congratulations everybody, judge and participants.

McBrian
Quote:
....nicely exposed but no drama.

- agreed - but how does one get any drama with a feather

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

Malo1961

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 21:03
HowardJ wrote:
Congratulations everybody, judge and participants.

McBrian
Quote:
....nicely exposed but no drama.

- agreed - but how does one get any drama with a feather

Howard

Try a walking cat blurred in the backround??
Beautiful picture anyhowe.
martin
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Ammonyte

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 21:17
Well done Lilly, well done everyone, thanks MacB.

My shot was of a garden ornament backlit by the sun. I saw it whilst walking along the Thames towpath near Bourne End earlier in the year. Just a snapshot.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Don

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 21:32
Congrats! and Merry Christmas to everybody!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Nimitz

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 21:42
Yet again an excellent shot Lilly. Well done all.
www.mieritz.net

johnriley

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 22:16
Well done indeed!

We now await Lilly's new challenge...
Best regards, John

Clarky

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 22:27
Can we expect a X-mas theme Lilly
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Lilly

Link Posted 17/12/2007 - 23:09
Thanks McBrian for placing my Lostwithiel medieval passageway first amongst some very strong contenders. It was quite a turn out of entries for you to judge, a very wide subject, well done.
Will put up my next challenge in a moment. Clarky, the Christmas theme is in there, in a different guise

cheers, Lilly
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 18/12/2007 - 05:39
I appreciate your comments McBrian.

there was only one light source for this image, diffused window light from in front and to the right of my wife's face. But this was a heavily edited shot.
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery

pschlute

Link Posted 18/12/2007 - 08:41
Congrats to Lilly for a very worthy first place , and thanks to McBrian for judging.

Well done to all the entrants too.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.