Weekly competition 261 Wide angle
Posted 09/07/2012 - 10:41
Link
OK, so I started to read the rules.
A shot with a wide angle lens.
- Right, I have a good one of those (I think it is good, anyway)
Must be taken with a pentax camera ...
- But of course!
EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
But seriously, the bit about EXIF data makes the bit about "Pentax camera" a bit of a joke as well. I went out that day with my P50 and a 24mm Tamron fitted, and a K200 with the 18-55 kit lens fitted. One shot with the P50 is one that I would like to find, scan, and enter. A shot taken a little while later got me a 2nd place in a Club competition - I cannot use it for this as the lens was set on 40mm at the time the shutter release went down. So, as written, the simple rules have an implicit "digital bodies must be used".
I really do not think that 35mm on a Pentax DSLR qualifies as wide angle, anyway, when it equates to almost a film era "standard" 50mm, when on a body that will generate EXIF data.
The idea for this comp is excellent - the detail is (IMHO) not.
Geoff
A shot with a wide angle lens.
- Right, I have a good one of those (I think it is good, anyway)
Must be taken with a pentax camera ...
- But of course!
EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
But seriously, the bit about EXIF data makes the bit about "Pentax camera" a bit of a joke as well. I went out that day with my P50 and a 24mm Tamron fitted, and a K200 with the 18-55 kit lens fitted. One shot with the P50 is one that I would like to find, scan, and enter. A shot taken a little while later got me a 2nd place in a Club competition - I cannot use it for this as the lens was set on 40mm at the time the shutter release went down. So, as written, the simple rules have an implicit "digital bodies must be used".
I really do not think that 35mm on a Pentax DSLR qualifies as wide angle, anyway, when it equates to almost a film era "standard" 50mm, when on a body that will generate EXIF data.
The idea for this comp is excellent - the detail is (IMHO) not.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
Posted 09/07/2012 - 10:45
Link
The widest I can manage is 18mm (18-55mm kit lens) is this considered wide angle/wide enough.
If I want wider I usually stitch together 2/3 taken side/side. Is this permissible?
regards
Bernard
If I want wider I usually stitch together 2/3 taken side/side. Is this permissible?
regards
Bernard
Posted 09/07/2012 - 10:51
Link
Quote:
I would imagine that most folks will have a lens capable of this as the kit lens is 18-55.
Photo's to be taken with Pentax camera's or their Samsung DSLR clones and exif MUST be included.
Good luck to all.
Can't think why stitched shots would not be permissible?
I would imagine that most folks will have a lens capable of this as the kit lens is 18-55.
Photo's to be taken with Pentax camera's or their Samsung DSLR clones and exif MUST be included.
Good luck to all.
Posted 09/07/2012 - 11:01
Link
Sorry I phrased it wrongly. The question I meant to ask -- is 18mm considered wide angle these days as I read a lot about 8mm/12mm etc
regards
Bernard
regards
Bernard
Posted 09/07/2012 - 11:02
Link
DoctorJeff wrote:
EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
Geoff, you can enter the exif data (or in your case, camera settings!) manually in the photo information form.I often have to do this even with digital pictures, if I have downloaded from Flickr and then uploaded back to the competion, and I have done it with a film picture shot on a P30 (which won the competition!)
EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
Posted 09/07/2012 - 11:12
Link
Sometimes we over complicate things when it's not necessary. The judge has defined wide angle for us as 35mm or wider. Basically, this means anything up to the standard lens of 35mm. 40mm is not wide angle by this definitiion and it clearly isn't, even on a film camera.
I suspect the judge may not have thought about wide angle in relation to someone shooting and scanning film, so I'd suggest you use a wide angle lens on your film camera. 40mm is not wide angle even here, really being a "wide standard".
It's simple enough to avoid any confusion and simply enter a wide angle shot.
I suspect the judge may not have thought about wide angle in relation to someone shooting and scanning film, so I'd suggest you use a wide angle lens on your film camera. 40mm is not wide angle even here, really being a "wide standard".
It's simple enough to avoid any confusion and simply enter a wide angle shot.
Best regards, John
Posted 09/07/2012 - 12:20
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
That will do
DoctorJeff wrote:
EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
Geoff, you can enter the exif data (or in your case, camera settings!) manually in the photo information form.I often have to do this even with digital pictures, if I have downloaded from Flickr and then uploaded back to the competion, and I have done it with a film picture shot on a P30 (which won the competition!)EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
Posted 09/07/2012 - 12:28
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
That will doDoctorJeff wrote:
EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
Geoff, you can enter the exif data (or in your case, camera settings!) manually in the photo information form.I often have to do this even with digital pictures, if I have downloaded from Flickr and then uploaded back to the competion, and I have done it with a film picture shot on a P30 (which won the competition!)EXIF data must be included.
- How do I get EXIF data from a P50, when it does not generate any?
35MM or less on film OR dslr
Stitched together fine as long as focal length on any of them is no greater than 35mm
hope this clears it up
Posted 14/07/2012 - 11:59
Link
Maybe a bit late now, but perhaps this should have been stated as up to 35mm full frame equivalent or whatever was intended. A 35mm lens on a APS-C sensor has a field of view equivalent to approximately 53mm on full frame which is normally considered to be a standard lens and its equivalent on a Pentax Q is nearly 200mm! That's not generally considered to be wide angle however it seems to technically qualify under the 'maximum focal length of 35mm' requirement.
John
John
John K
Posted 14/07/2012 - 14:53
Link
If it looks wide enough it is wide enough.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1745 posts
15 years
Northumberland