Weekly competition #247- Heavy metal

aliengrove
Posted 02/04/2012 - 10:09 Link
Here's the place to discuss anything related to this weeks competition.
Hyram
Posted 03/04/2012 - 08:21 Link
A good choice of subject

Am I imagining it or has the order of the early entries changed :
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
johnriley
Posted 03/04/2012 - 08:40 Link
That shouldn't be possible Hyram, so unless there's been a glitch in the space-time continuum you've imagined it.
Best regards, John
Frogherder
Posted 03/04/2012 - 09:47 Link
It must be the lithium crystals failing then John because yesterday the sequence was :-

Tyronet2000; John Riley; Tozza27

now there are 2 others at 2nd/3rd

regards
Bernard
George Lazarette
Posted 03/04/2012 - 09:51 Link
It's easily explained.

JR and Tozza are gentlemen, and they have surrendered their places to later arrivals.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnriley
Posted 03/04/2012 - 10:04 Link
It's a crack in space-time after all, you're seeing something different to what I'm seeing....
Best regards, John
GlynM
Posted 03/04/2012 - 10:32 Link
In his "Heavy Casting" entry for this competition Hyram wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps GlynM can precisely identify the part
I'm no expert and only have limited knowledge but I think we are looking at the left-hand outside cylinder of a steam railway locomotive. The covers and insulation, originally asbestos, are missing but screws to fit the cover can be seen.

In the image we can just see the hub of a small front wheel and I guess that as this is behind the cylinder that it is probably the rear of a pair.

So what loco could it be? Here I really am wildly guessing.

The wheel in the image has radial spokes so rules out locos, like Bodmin, which have circular cut-outs.

The cylinder looks a bit rusty and suggests that the covers have been off for a while and therefore rules out locos under general maintenance and is, or has, probably been awaiting restoration for a while. However the image is dated last June so restoration may now have started.

Looking at the list of locos awaiting or undergoing restoration on the mid-hants railway and fitting these with what we can see in the image. I think it could possibly be one of three:

925 Cheltenham - Which I would love it to be, but unlikely though, because the wheels are not the expected bright southern green, its restoration is taking place at Eastleigh and I'm not sure it has ever been at Ropley. See here.
30506 - Which is being restored. See here.
30499 - Although possibly not because I think its frames may be not be at Ropley. See here.

Thanks for the challenge and apologies that I can only guess.

I do though think it is a great image .

Glyn
Edited by GlynM: 03/04/2012 - 10:58
Hyram
Posted 03/04/2012 - 13:49 Link
Frogherder wrote:
It must be the lithium crystals failing then John because yesterday the sequence was :-

Tyronet2000; John Riley; Tozza27

now there are 2 others at 2nd/3rd

regards
Bernard
I think there was a propellor image before I entered :
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Hyram
Posted 03/04/2012 - 13:52 Link
Glyn,

Tremendous piece of detective work

Perhaps I should take more notice of what I am photographing
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo