Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Weekly competition #201 - Man-made (discussion thread)

johnriley
Posted 17/05/2011 - 13:54 Link
It may be that this is being over complicated. Danny seems to want unedited images in this competition, so I'm just leaving it as that. I will still resize to 1000 pixels before upload, but without cropping the original composition.
Best regards, John
davidtrout
Posted 17/05/2011 - 17:20 Link
I'm going to sit this one out. Danny's first post made it quite clear, no post processing whatsoever, and if you shoot RAW shoot in JPEG for this one.
Even if he were to relax the rule to allow a little processing - once people have started posting entries you can't really do that - then we are left with a subject that covers anything man made. I believe that's far to wide a topic to qualify for a set subject competition which should be much more specific.
Sorry but I'm out of this one.
David
Pentaxophile
Posted 17/05/2011 - 18:52 Link
I'm going to comb through my old archives - I often shoot RAW+Jpeg, and used to shoot Jpeg all the time on my istDL2. The istDL2 images are smaller and already heavily sharpened in-camera, so they may stand a better chance of looking OK!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
japers45
Posted 17/05/2011 - 21:13 Link
Would simply converting a RAW file straight into JPEG count ? No adjustments at all? Or Does the software automatically alter the image when this occurs making it ineligable ?
johnriley
Posted 17/05/2011 - 21:25 Link
I'd suggest we are over-thinking this. Just images straight out of camera. Whatever that image may be, it still needs resizing and changing to a JPEG for the web. It also need changing to sRGB if it was shot in AdobeRGB.
Best regards, John
Hyram
Posted 17/05/2011 - 22:09 Link
davidtrout wrote:
...................................Sorry but I'm out of this one.

Given that the subject matter is very broad, having just the one constraint of 'no post-processing' should not be too onerous for most of us.

I think the judge needs supporting with a good level of entries.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
davidtrout
Posted 18/05/2011 - 09:45 Link
Hyram wrote:
davidtrout wrote:
...................................Sorry but I'm out of this one.

Given that the subject matter is very broad, having just the one constraint of 'no post-processing' should not be too onerous for most of us.

I think the judge needs supporting with a good level of entries.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was undermining Danny's competition here. Its just that I find it difficult to get my head round the concept of a topic with such wide ranging possibilities. I appreciate the novelty of a competition for images straight out of the camera but I believe the topic to be very wide ranging for a set subject competition.
I hope and believe the the comepetition will be a huge success.
David
i-Berg
Posted 18/05/2011 - 11:23 Link
FWIW I've entered one that was taken in RAW (all I have, no time for much else at present), and converted it to jpg with no editing - not in camera, but in Lightroom. So will see what happens!
dougf8
Posted 22/05/2011 - 21:14 Link
grrrrr, I adjusted the shadows and posted the image, then read the comp and deleted the entry, grrrrrr
Lurking is shirking.!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.