Weekly Competition #111 - Serenity Competition - Comments

Malo1961
Posted 17/08/2009 - 17:45 Link
Fortitude, patience, peace. The calm at the centre of the storm. The space we all aspire to, the space that feels like home wherever we are.


The place for discussions etc....


Martin.

posted on behalf of this weeks judge Alun.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Edited by Malo1961: 17/08/2009 - 17:47
Malo1961
Posted 17/08/2009 - 22:17 Link
8 entries and it has just begun. I all ready feel sorry for Alun. Good luck and may the force be with him.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Darkmunk
Posted 18/08/2009 - 08:48 Link
Beautiful entries so far.
Already a great competition.
Aiki
Posted 18/08/2009 - 14:32 Link
Malo1961 wrote:
may the force be with him.

Martin.


I am still puzzled about the theme. Serenity is an absolutely new word for me. I may read the dictionary and the explanation, but I am still not sure what else it is besides calm water (weather) and sunset
So the forum is not only a place to learn photography, but also the language
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
Pentaxophile
Posted 18/08/2009 - 14:40 Link
I expect this is going to be a very popular competition! Serenity is a very broad theme.
Quote:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.
Lol!
davidtrout
Posted 18/08/2009 - 14:45 Link
Serenity can mean absolute peace and quiet, a calmness in the mind or in a person's surroundings. It can also refer to a serene person, someone who is totally in control, calm and dignified and untouched by the outside world. Beautiful, restful and soft music can be said to be serene as can a religious painting by a great master.
I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture Aiki.
david
Aiki
Posted 18/08/2009 - 14:57 Link
Thanks !
Thats the point ! I somehow realized, thet it must be VERY broad theme actually.
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
Malo1961
Posted 18/08/2009 - 15:55 Link
davidtrout wrote:
It can also refer to a serene person, someone who is totally in control, calm and dignified and untouched by the outside world.
A bit like the character in your avatar. No problem winning this round then......

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
davidtrout
Posted 18/08/2009 - 18:10 Link
I chose my Avatar because I would choose to resemble him, not because I am like him. No one who knows me would ever describe me as serene. However my wife does sometimes remark that I'm not in touch with the outside world.
As for winning this round - that's going to be a tough call for us all because the subject has already flushed out many good entries. I hope Alun doesn't have to be at work early on Monday morning.
david
Pentaxophile
Posted 18/08/2009 - 18:15 Link
Darn it! You've reminded me of a shot which would have been more relevant than the one I uploaded! Ah well, maybe the subject will come up again...

Comment Image
davidtrout
Posted 18/08/2009 - 18:21 Link
Your long boat in the rain was also serene Will.
david
Aiki
Posted 24/08/2009 - 10:18 Link
I kept my fingers crossed for Davidtrout and Dr. Mhuni !

Mikew, congratulations - you have done excellent again !
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
mikew
Posted 24/08/2009 - 10:23 Link
Thank you Aiki - dogged determination won the day. It took a lot of time to work out what container to put the water in, then how to get the dark surface, then find a suitable leaf or flower that would expose OK. Red ones don't it seems and it was tricky to keep the surface tension on the edge of the leaf. Then as the wind blew the leaf all over the place I couldn't use a tripod and I had the blast away trying get something in focus and without any shake. It took some time.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo