Weekly competition #110 MOMENT - discussion
Posted 10/08/2009 - 16:00
Link
I like this idea.
david
david
Posted 17/08/2009 - 15:30
Link
Oh. Mr Mellow! And you really didnt post !
True it is, I have liked the humor in some of your pics.
Glad that you liked the theme, David
I am repeating myself: I still like your entry!
But it was hard to decide for me. It really was.
I hope you all agree, that if the pics are quite equal, then its nice to give "new" ones some chance.
As not medal owners:
JudithAnn, Mhuni and also Hefty are the entries that "warmed" me a lot.
JudithAnn ! You can bet, that I want to have a rest from this judging ! Maybe I took it too much seriously
I wonder what pics others would have chosen ?!
True it is, I have liked the humor in some of your pics.
Glad that you liked the theme, David
I am repeating myself: I still like your entry!
But it was hard to decide for me. It really was.
I hope you all agree, that if the pics are quite equal, then its nice to give "new" ones some chance.
As not medal owners:
JudithAnn, Mhuni and also Hefty are the entries that "warmed" me a lot.
JudithAnn ! You can bet, that I want to have a rest from this judging ! Maybe I took it too much seriously
I wonder what pics others would have chosen ?!
Posted 17/08/2009 - 15:31
Link
mikew wrote:
Cripes that was quick although I suppose you're an hour or two ahead in clock time.
Mike
two hours Cripes that was quick although I suppose you're an hour or two ahead in clock time.
Mike
The theme has been in my mind for a longer period ! Just waited my turn
Posted 17/08/2009 - 15:45
Link
Quote:
I hope you all agree, that if the pics are quite equal, then its nice to give "new" ones some chance.
Very wise decision. I hope you all agree, that if the pics are quite equal, then its nice to give "new" ones some chance.
Martin.
Posted 17/08/2009 - 21:09
Link
Aiki wrote:
Oh. Mr Mellow! And you really didnt post !
True it is, I have liked the humor in some of your pics.
Glad that you liked the theme, David
I am repeating myself: I still like your entry!
But it was hard to decide for me. It really was.
I hope you all agree, that if the pics are quite equal, then its nice to give "new" ones some chance.
As not medal owners:
JudithAnn, Mhuni and also Hefty are the entries that "warmed" me a lot.
JudithAnn ! You can bet, that I want to have a rest from this judging ! Maybe I took it too much seriously
I wonder what pics others would have chosen ?!
It would get boring if the same old members kept on winning all the time. Its great when a newbie gets the top prize.
Oh. Mr Mellow! And you really didnt post !
True it is, I have liked the humor in some of your pics.
Glad that you liked the theme, David
I am repeating myself: I still like your entry!
But it was hard to decide for me. It really was.
I hope you all agree, that if the pics are quite equal, then its nice to give "new" ones some chance.
As not medal owners:
JudithAnn, Mhuni and also Hefty are the entries that "warmed" me a lot.
JudithAnn ! You can bet, that I want to have a rest from this judging ! Maybe I took it too much seriously
I wonder what pics others would have chosen ?!
Posted 17/08/2009 - 22:33
Link
IMHO I'd be careful about awarding a winner for any other reason than it's the best picture. Once we decide "it would be nice" if someone else won, then it becomes very subjective as to who is new enough, not new enough, hasn't won before, and so on.
This devalues the award. It's difficult enough to choose a winner, but it should always be a level playing field without favour to anyone.
I do a fair amount of judging and would never choose a picture because of who had taken it, but would always go for the best shot. If you've won, you should be secure in knowing that you produced the best image in the consideration of the judge.
It can be a slippery slope otherwise....
This devalues the award. It's difficult enough to choose a winner, but it should always be a level playing field without favour to anyone.
I do a fair amount of judging and would never choose a picture because of who had taken it, but would always go for the best shot. If you've won, you should be secure in knowing that you produced the best image in the consideration of the judge.
It can be a slippery slope otherwise....
Best regards, John
Posted 17/08/2009 - 23:34
Link
Quote:
This devalues the award. It's difficult enough to choose a winner, but it should always be a level playing field without favour to anyone.
Totally agree, have not yet entered any competition on this site, purely because I have not felt up to the competition. Once winners are chosen as a means of encouragement this must detract from the purpose. i.e quality images to satisfy the topic.This devalues the award. It's difficult enough to choose a winner, but it should always be a level playing field without favour to anyone.
Davex.
Posted 18/08/2009 - 09:53
Link
I totally agree with the above comments. What I meant when I said it was good for a newbie to win was that it was pleasing when a newcomer produces the picture which the judge considers to be the best. There is, of course, no best picture in a competition only the picture which most appeals to that particular judge. Selecting a winner among pictures, art or photos, is not like a horse race where the first across the line is obvious.
david
david
Posted 18/08/2009 - 14:17
Link
Oh, John !
I really tried to choose the pic ! Of course !
I hoped its obvious.
People's taste may be totally different ! And what they expect from the theme.
David, you've put it down very nicely
For example, if the seadog was just running in the water (with the pic being of the same good quality) david would have been sure winner. BUT, there was wave coming just behind the dog. That made me the moment !
Thats why its really interesting, when participants name their fav after the judgement as well.
I really tried to choose the pic ! Of course !
I hoped its obvious.
People's taste may be totally different ! And what they expect from the theme.
David, you've put it down very nicely
For example, if the seadog was just running in the water (with the pic being of the same good quality) david would have been sure winner. BUT, there was wave coming just behind the dog. That made me the moment !
Thats why its really interesting, when participants name their fav after the judgement as well.
Posted 18/08/2009 - 14:24
Link
Aiki, you did great, I was just making a point in case anyone got the wrong idea about how to judge. Didn't want things to go astray in the future!
Best regards, John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


694 posts
18 years
Estonia
----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG