Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Website revamped again

petekd
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:29 Link
Hi folks

I have just made serveral changes to my flash based website. I am aware many of you don't like flash slide shows with music etc.. but what I am looking for is opinions on the photos and how they look on your PC monitors.

I have put a dark background to the site as I think it makes the images stand out a bit more.

Let me know anyway

www.petedavis-photography.com

Kind regards Pete
Wedding & Portrait photographer
niblue
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:42 Link
I think it should be a criminal offence if your website starts playing music without asking first - however as I have the sound turned off on this PC (other than turning it on briefly to confirm that the site was indeed playing some twee guff) I'd have said that as flash sites go it's not too bad.

Drop the music (or at least ask first) and I'd ever find it bordering on the acceptable.
Mannesty
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:42 Link
Pete,

That sliding menu system just doesn't work very well. If you move the mouse to the right, over landscape pics, then back to natural pics, it slides another menu under the mouse cursor, then moves to that one. Irritating in the extreme.

Pics look good though.

Cheers,
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
petekd
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:50 Link
Thanks Peter

Ill look into it

Pete
gartmore
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:54 Link
I thought the sliding menus worked very well but the music is a total turn off and the icon that I thought would stop it didn't work. You might at least get the name of one of the world's greatest and most famous photographers correct (CARTIER-BRESSON). I dont really see the link between his work and yours to be honest. Most brides hire fairly local photographers but you dont give any indication of the area you cover.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
petekd
Posted 11/01/2008 - 13:03 Link
Good Points and noted

PS with reference to Bressons work and mine they are not meant for comparison I never said that I just used a phrase he has quoted between the photographer and clients that all

Cheers anyway
gartmore
Posted 11/01/2008 - 13:15 Link
petekd wrote:
Good Points and noted

PS with reference to Bressons work and mine they are not meant for comparison I never said that I just used a phrase he has quoted between the photographer and clients that all

Cheers anyway

I'm sorry, Pete, but without puntuation marks what you have written is unintelligible. Its 'Cartier-Bresson'.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
petekd
Posted 11/01/2008 - 16:31 Link
OK its now changed

Cheers Pete
hefty1
Posted 11/01/2008 - 17:12 Link
I think it's rather nice; the photos on there certainly seem up to the standards of the trade as far as I'm concerned. The navigation is relatively straightforward and on my (quite fast) broadband connection it all flew along quite nicely.

My only complaint would be along the same lines as the others above; ditch the music! It's annoying and a waste of bandwidth. For every (potential) customer who finds it a pleasant backdrop I can pretty much guarantee there'll be 10 who find it a complete turn-off.

Good overall effort though - your photography has come on in leaps and bounds!
Joining the Q
justgetoutandride
Posted 11/01/2008 - 19:34 Link
Pete, the phrase

'I wish you well and again, thank you...." needs some work.

Try

' I wish you well. Thank you again for .....

Also your start 'A famous photographer Cartier-Bresson...' needs work. Try 'Cartier-Bresson said...'
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
robby
Posted 11/01/2008 - 23:22 Link
Hi Pete - New to the forum but just a few thoughts on your question regarding the images on your site.

Overall I think your images are excellent - sharp and vibrant and capture the moment I'm sure any prospective clients would be impressed.

The initial image on the client page of the girl in the pink outfit is sharp on the eyes but I wouldn't have softened her hair like that over her right eye. And the rest of the fuzz on her dress is way to much for me - just a little softness would have been cool. I'm not a major fan of spot colour on B&W images and you've quite a few of them. A few more candids of kids and friends would have been good - I think wedding 2 had nearly all of the B&G - showing how you capture the day would be better.

Just one point on the site itself - all OK and looking good except I cant click on the links to the manicure and cake maker links.
petekd
Posted 12/01/2008 - 10:17 Link
justgetoutandride wrote:
Pete, the phrase

'I wish you well and again, thank you...." needs some work.

Try

' I wish you well. Thank you again for .....

Also your start 'A famous photographer Cartier-Bresson...' needs work. Try 'Cartier-Bresson said...'

Thanks AJ have amended the typo
petekd
Posted 12/01/2008 - 10:20 Link
Quote:
Just one point on the site itself - all OK and looking good except I cant click on the links to the manicure and cake maker links.

I have tried the links and it appears that if you use your mouse center roller to scroll down the the bar to read the text up and down then try the links they dont work work. However if you just point to the the little triangle to scroll down the text, then point to the links they do work "Strange"

I will look into it but thanks for pointing it out

Pete[/quote]
SPB
Posted 12/01/2008 - 10:30 Link
Is it just me or is this the wrong place for this thread "Website revamped again", has nothing to do with Pentax Digital SLRs.

Should it not be moved tp "General Digital Photography chat"????
petekd
Posted 12/01/2008 - 10:42 Link
The reason I posted it here is because I am a pentax K10D user and I have asked for the advice of folks here and their views on this issue. I suppose I could have posted it in the general chat "sorry"

Regards Pete

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.