Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

WB Trick

Fletcher8
Posted 03/07/2012 - 21:18 Link
I came accross this video and thought, i'll try that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tb0y0RXe_I&feature=player_embedded

Anyway, I have had no luck with this using a K5. Anyone out there know how to do this with a K5 I would be very interested.

Thanks
Fletcher8.
Haworth
Posted 03/07/2012 - 22:50 Link
I saw this featured on the Strobist blog yesterday and have been scratching my head over it also.

I haven't got any coloured gels so maybe the Sainsbury's carrier bag I was using wasn't the best substitute.

Used the manual WB function, and managed to make the orange blurred image of the bag over the lens go a neutral colour, but failed to get the camera to use that as the 'base' WB on a subsequent shot when I put the bag over the flash. I just got orange highlights.

I would be interested to hear if anyone can get any further with it. Must admit I haven't consulted the manual yet to see if that helps.
'The RAW is the score and the print is the performance' - Apologies to Ansel Adams

Blog
Flickr
Don
Posted 04/07/2012 - 00:17 Link
I use that technique often. a couple years back I posted some vampire pics (I use it for video as well) where you set your white balance off white paper, but shoot through a gel to get the WB reading, and then place that gel over your light source. now you're whole scene is the opposite color (color wheel chart) of your gel and only objects lit with your gelled lightsource will come out normal looking...

this is perfect for shooting "day for night" shots... I made everything lit by ambient light dark blue, and my subjects normal with an orange gel to create my vampire scenes with one light source.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 04/07/2012 - 00:17
Fletcher8
Posted 04/07/2012 - 08:55 Link
No joy, I have explored everything and can't do it. If anyone out there with a K5 can work it out please post how.
Fletcher8.
Algernon
Posted 04/07/2012 - 09:39 Link
Just put a coloured gel over the flashgun on the background
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Don
Posted 04/07/2012 - 09:51 Link
Algernon wrote:
Just put a coloured gel over the flashgun on the background

what if... your background is too big and or you do not have enough lights to pull it off?
this is where setting a custom light balance to discolor EVERYTHING then gelling the lights you do have on your subject to correct the color on the subject comes in handy..

in my example I mentioned vampires and day for night... in order to shoot my subjects in the evening, in a cemetary, I set up my cameras white balance to turn the whole scene BLUE, then used ONE portable flash unit to light my vampire, giving the illusion that my sole normal colored vampire was in a moonlit night scene...

it really works, however the cameras sometimes have trouble doing the white balance with the gel in front of the lens (using white paper to read off helps)...

Cokin used to have a balanced filter set you could use for this effect with film. you basically got two filters in the kit, one for your lens the other for your flash.. any two colors work as long as the colors are opposites on the color wheel...
Edited by Don: 04/07/2012 - 09:53
Algernon
Posted 04/07/2012 - 10:17 Link
Now that you mention it I remember the Cokin stuff
They used to do some weird stuff I've got a prism somewhere,
no idea what it's for
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
beakynet
Posted 04/07/2012 - 13:28 Link
Just a point, the default setting for flash is to use Flash WB, this is set in the custom menu. You may need to change this for the custom WB to be used when using flash.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Don
Posted 07/07/2012 - 15:25 Link
Comment Image

from 2009...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.