Wasp?

CoDa
Posted 20/05/2011 - 10:00 Link
The camera club has summer activities, and next week there is a trip to one of the nature parks in the area. I asked about lenses to take, macro or zoom was the answer.

So, no macro lens or extension tubes, but a Tamron 1.4 TC. Nothing to lose I had a go.

Original

[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/Photo%20for%20comments%202011/IMGP4781-s.jpg[/IMG]

Cropped with very slight sharpening only.

[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/Photo%20for%20comments%202011/IMGP4781-m-s.jpg[/IMG]

I think this is not to bad as its my first attempt with this lens & TC combination.

CC to assist is very appreciated.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
fatspider
Posted 20/05/2011 - 10:35 Link
A kit lens should get you to within 30cm which should be adaquate enough for shooting flowers etc and the images will be better for cropping than using a TC, as for smaller stuff like bugs and of course little cuties like the wasp then there is no substitute for a good macro lens or some extention tubes. Youve not said which lens you stuck the TC on so I cant really comment on that.

As for technique just take note of which direction the sun is coming from before snapping away, in the shot above you'd have been better snapping the wasp from the top and shielding it from the harsh light with your body, bright sunlight can kill a good macro shot.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
CoDa
Posted 20/05/2011 - 12:04 Link
Hi fatspider,
The lens was a sigma 28-105 f2.8-4, the TC is the Tamron AF 1.4x one.
I also have the Pentax-DA 55-300 lens, this I will try on the TC as well.

Thanks for the advice about shielding, will try some more another day.

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)


[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Frogfish
Posted 20/05/2011 - 19:03 Link
fatspider wrote:

As for technique just take note of which direction the sun is coming from before snapping away, in the shot above you'd have been better snapping the wasp from the top and shielding it from the harsh light with your body, bright sunlight can kill a good macro shot.
Whilst I agree in principle don't forget that many insects will take flight as soon as a shadow shields them - instinctive reaction to predators no doubt.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo