Wanted: Fairly prosaic film SLR

chris667

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 07:59
Hello

I'm looking for a fully manual SLR to get back into film photography.

I used to have an SP1000 which I loved but I killed it on a road trip in Hungary in 1996.

Ideally, I'd like another Sp1000, but really anything would do so long as it has metered manual exposure and works properly. I am scratching along with an old Practica at the moment, but the shutter is bouncing so you get a light band across the image. M42 or K mount, and a standard lens, or even a wide angle and a standard. I don't like zooms, they make you lazy.

Surely someone has something gathering dust? Your old camera will be used and loved. I live in the Peak District in the UK.
Last Edited by chris667 on 23/11/2016 - 08:17

johnriley

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 08:48
To avoid confusion, best to only post a subject once in the forums, otherwise replies get split and it gets confused. I'll leave this one and close the othe, which I was going to move into this section anyway.

I'd look at the K1000, which is more or less the SP1000 but with a bayonet mount. It will also be slightly newer. However, any of the film cameras will offer manual exposure options, so let's see who can offer something appropriate.
Best regards, John

HarisF1

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 08:56
Hi Chris, this is my first post on the forum (so woohoo). I've got a few SP500 and 1000 cameras in different conditions that I've picked up along with lenses from 'auction site'. I wouldn't mind sending you them for a nominal fee + postage. You can have a look at them and mix and match (or use as spares to make one good one).

And I've also got M42 lenses that you might wish to check out too. Let me know if you're interested.

chris667

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 09:11
John - thanks for your comment. To be fair my other post was asking for a bricks and mortar camera shop; I didn't think to post a classified here till later. I used to have a really nice privately owned shop near me and if they hadn't closed down three years ago I'd only join to post pictures! Still, it is your forum, and of course I am happy to play by your rules.

Haris, that's a kind offer and I am interested. Drop me a line on 07943 828251(mods, my phone number is easy to find online so sharing it is no problem) or send an email to pentax.advert@betterbitter.co.uk. Thanks!

MrB

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 09:57

chris667

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 12:21
Interesting website Phillip!

A search for"Rocky Cameras problems" has put me off. He has annoyed a lot of people.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 12:49
SP1000s are very old now - I have two and neither works very well, despite paying 60 quid for a supposedly professional CLA a few years back. I also have an SP500 that works fine, and they are very enjoyable cameras to use.

Buying online can be very tricky as you never know what you'll get but establish the price for a good CLA for models you're interested in before you buy. That way you'll know the likely true cost of the camera. Trying to buy a fully functional forty-plus-year-old camera on e-bay for a tenner is not likely to go well.

Some dealers sell online and you can check with them beforehand to make sure that what you're getting is a confirmed working item with a guarantee. You'll pay more but get peace of mind. The biggest is probably Ffordes, but I've had with them exactly the kind of problems you're trying to avoid (faulty goods sold as working and refunds not provided) so I'd avoid them. Have a search online and check reviews. Many places that sell new gear also sell used stuff.

If I had to recommend a good, reliable and solid K-mount SLR that's likely to still be working well I'd say the P30N. Not the prettiest to look at, battery reliant, no ISO over-ride and unpleasant shutter sound, but the vast majority of the P series cameras I've come across were still working well. They were the last series of Pentax non-AF film SLRs that were made before the build quality went out of the window.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Helpful

chris667

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 13:25
Thanks. That's really helpful advice, and a conclusion I was coming to. Everything wears out eventually.

I will look for a P30n. Harrow Technical's website quotes 76, so not too drastic. They don't have depth of field preview, do they? I haven't used one for 20+ years.

ronniemac

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 18:56
My two pence worth:

Go for an X camera:
KX - you'll be familiar with the body size, a bit like the SP100, but K mount, with aperture window, depth of field preview, self timer, and mirror lock up.
MX - smaller than the above and without mirror lock up. traffic lights instead of needle exposure meter -
LX - the most advanced manual focus Pentax, comes with Av as well as Manual exposure modes, but you could ignore the former. Weather sealed.

If you want to keep it simple perhaps it's worth considering the KM, which sits between the KX and K1000. It is similar to the K1000 but has a self timer and depth of field preview. You pay much more for the lesser K1000 because it is the standard student camera therefore much in demand.

There are 5 series of manual focus K mount Pentaxes, K, M, L, A, and P. K is for Kool, M for Miniscule, L for Lovely, A for Automatic (shutter and aperture), P is for Plasticky. You can tell where my own preferences are, and being a bit of a body collector I speak from experience. Sorry I ain't selling - could never part with a Pentax. If I had to recommend just one, value for money would point to the KX

Full specs on all K mount cameras can be found in Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

On lenses, best to go for K mount, you will still be able to use your screw mount lenses with simple adapter, either from Pentax (quality) or a third party manufacturer (cheap).

Lots of good advice from previous posters, especially that it would pay to have one that has been serviced or buy one and get it serviced because old cameras suffer from sticky mirror syndrome.

PS. 75 seems overpriced for a P30n, they can be had for 10!
Last Edited by ronniemac on 23/11/2016 - 18:58

stu62

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 20:04
where you from

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 24/11/2016 - 06:04
The P series cameras are much more solid than they look, more so than the M series (MX aside, obviously).

Yes, the P30N does have depth of field preview.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital

Algernon

Link Posted 24/11/2016 - 08:33
The P series were made by Cosina. Confirmed by several sites including this site by one of the greatest Pentax photographers.... Have a look through his works while your at it.....

http://bong.manayon.net/2010/11/cosina-ct1g.html

Gallery
http://www.manayon.net/bong/index.html

Also Pentax Photogallery
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/bongmanayon

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 24/11/2016 - 08:41

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 25/11/2016 - 05:56
Algernon wrote:
The P series were made by Cosina. Confirmed by several sites including this site by one of the greatest Pentax photographers.... Have a look through his works while your at it.....
--

Absolute nonsense, I'm afraid.

ronniemac

Link Posted 25/11/2016 - 11:23
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Algernon wrote:
--

Absolute nonsense, I'm afraid.

Who knows for sure? I don't, but someone who is more expert than I did research this topic .
link
link

Lots of interesting information on Pentax camera's in this collector's website:

Algernon

Link Posted 25/11/2016 - 12:32
The list of Cosina made cameras came from this group of reputable collectors.......

http://cameracollector.proboards.com/thread/4178?page=8

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.