Walking around Teignmouth in Devon
Posted 29/09/2014 - 14:01
Link
A great set of shots - and the comments help set the scene.
Your tunnel shot and the one of the stairs down are good - I can almost imagine the kids there
Your tunnel shot and the one of the stairs down are good - I can almost imagine the kids there
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 29/09/2014 - 17:15
Link
Thanks, a lot has changed since I last visited. These are posh beach huts in Shaldon. A building used to stand here which sold (expensive) fishing gear and sailing attire.

Shaldon still has it's charms and it's not often you get villages by the sea. Many of these houses I would say are Victorian, probably with a ghost or two lurking around. Many of the original gardens have been replaced by spaces for owners cars, but there is an echo of what it was once like.

The bowling green.

The main street

This is the ferry from Teignmouth to Shaldon, it costs £1.50 to get over and it's the oldest ferry in the UK, first beginning in the 16th century. The boat isn't that old through.

Shortly after disembarking off the boat, the skipper had to rush off to the lifeboat on an emergency, all the alarms went off and it seemed quite bad.

Lots of cars screetched up to the lifeboat station and there was a hasty scramble to get back into the water. It's brilliant what the coastguard does.


As you know or may have heard, there was some bed storms in Teignmouth which caused a lot of damage.
link
link
link
Hopefully if you click the links, is a view of what happened on that terrible day. Apparently the pier got it bad, and things were falling out into the water below. Things that had been there for years, like one armed bandits from the 1930's. The sea looks reddish, because it's kicked up all the sand making it look like blood in the water.
I will post images of those antique amusements later. Thanks for reading.

Shaldon still has it's charms and it's not often you get villages by the sea. Many of these houses I would say are Victorian, probably with a ghost or two lurking around. Many of the original gardens have been replaced by spaces for owners cars, but there is an echo of what it was once like.

The bowling green.

The main street

This is the ferry from Teignmouth to Shaldon, it costs £1.50 to get over and it's the oldest ferry in the UK, first beginning in the 16th century. The boat isn't that old through.

Shortly after disembarking off the boat, the skipper had to rush off to the lifeboat on an emergency, all the alarms went off and it seemed quite bad.

Lots of cars screetched up to the lifeboat station and there was a hasty scramble to get back into the water. It's brilliant what the coastguard does.


As you know or may have heard, there was some bed storms in Teignmouth which caused a lot of damage.
link
link
link
Hopefully if you click the links, is a view of what happened on that terrible day. Apparently the pier got it bad, and things were falling out into the water below. Things that had been there for years, like one armed bandits from the 1930's. The sea looks reddish, because it's kicked up all the sand making it look like blood in the water.
I will post images of those antique amusements later. Thanks for reading.
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Posted 29/09/2014 - 19:21
Link
Hi Louise
Love the first image and the tunnel with the steps and the posh beach huts
I was in teignmouth in August for one day has we where staying in paighton
Love that part of the world
Love the first image and the tunnel with the steps and the posh beach huts
I was in teignmouth in August for one day has we where staying in paighton
Love that part of the world
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter
Panasonic Dmc Fz200
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter
Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Posted 29/09/2014 - 20:14
Link
Some wonderful shots here Louise and your comments add to the enjoyment.
I particularly like the first one, the steps going down and the beach huts, you're photography is definitely improving
I particularly like the first one, the steps going down and the beach huts, you're photography is definitely improving
Regards,
Michael
Michael
Posted 30/09/2014 - 10:17
Link
Thanks that's kind of you, I might add this to blog on my website, working on a new one by Spanglefish, it's not as great as the weebly one but It'll do for now. Anyone heard of Spanglefish? Here's a link to my website:
link

These toilets have been closed off since the 1980's, steps lead down (or did to) an area which had probably been open since the 1950's.

Here's a blast from the past. On the pier, this machine gives out packets of refresher sweets as prizes. It's been here since 1956, and people are still surprised that's its still here and works.

See the sweeties stacked up at the back, I loved these as a kid but it also makes me sad too, because I'll never get those grand old days back.

I sat on my dad's knee to watch this puppet show (so did the owner of the pier, not on my dad's knee, her own fathers lap!) Anyway these are very rare and this is the second one in the UK to still be working.

I'm glad this survived the storms in January, it's like seeing an old friend again

Even older this 'handy' machine dates from the 1930's-40's.

Place your hand here and it rolls across your palm and delivers a card telling you your fortune. So many hands have been placed here, that's its starting to show.

This 1960's rubbish bin should be in a museum, you don't see anything like this around now. I wonder what happened to those two children the image's are based upon?

The last of the ladybird ride, you don't get these in fairs now, except Butlins but even they are fading now. This is the part of the pier which is still being mended.
link

These toilets have been closed off since the 1980's, steps lead down (or did to) an area which had probably been open since the 1950's.

Here's a blast from the past. On the pier, this machine gives out packets of refresher sweets as prizes. It's been here since 1956, and people are still surprised that's its still here and works.

See the sweeties stacked up at the back, I loved these as a kid but it also makes me sad too, because I'll never get those grand old days back.

I sat on my dad's knee to watch this puppet show (so did the owner of the pier, not on my dad's knee, her own fathers lap!) Anyway these are very rare and this is the second one in the UK to still be working.

I'm glad this survived the storms in January, it's like seeing an old friend again

Even older this 'handy' machine dates from the 1930's-40's.

Place your hand here and it rolls across your palm and delivers a card telling you your fortune. So many hands have been placed here, that's its starting to show.

This 1960's rubbish bin should be in a museum, you don't see anything like this around now. I wonder what happened to those two children the image's are based upon?

The last of the ladybird ride, you don't get these in fairs now, except Butlins but even they are fading now. This is the part of the pier which is still being mended.
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1041 posts
14 years
Salisbury
This is known as the back beach where I used to sit many an evening with my parents. Occasionally you will get a Comerent (dunno if that's spelt right) bird flying in, there's lots of them in Torquay.
This is the Ness headland, it was here before I was born and will be here long after I am gone. It has seen the coming of the railways, the 50's and the swinging 60's. It may see the beginning of the space age and god knows what afterwards.
This is Smugglers tunnel in Sheldon. As kids we used to play Pirates up and down here. It leads down to a secret beach, how they built it amazes me.
Took several attempts to get this shot, forgot to use Tungstone, and people kept wandering into the shot.
This is the hidden beach
I'm currently reading a book about the pier which is fascinating. Ill add more image's later. Thanks for looking
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link