Walk from Cap D'ail to Monaco.

alulacheery

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 21:54
I took my k-5 + Tamron 17-50 on one of my dog walking routes and I find that I am struggling with how to make photographs of tourist beautyspots not look like holiday snaps, any advice and CC most welcome.

The walk in the direction of Maya Plage

I love the colours from the algae going into the sea

The one perspective that I felt was interesting

Thanks for looking and for any comments and suggestions. I feel like I live in this gorgeous part of the world but can't do it justice!

davidstorm

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 22:11
Hi Jemma

Thanks for posting the pics and asking for feedback. What I would do is focus more on the details rather than the wider views, to isolate individual elements of the landscape and architecture. Most tourists will not do this, so by definition you will end up with shots that look different.

Also, try using depth of field creatively, maybe include some strong foreground interest (wild plants, rocks, sea shells etc.) and use a wide aperture to blur most elements of the image, leaving only the desired parts in focus.

Finally, shoot in the early morning or the evening, when the light is softer and less directional.

There is nothing wrong with the shots you've posted from a technical point of view, but they look a little 'flat', especially 2, 3 and 4. The first has depth and to me is the most successful, as it leads the eye along the distant shoreline.

Hope this helps.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 20/05/2014 - 22:11

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 08:36
Hi Jemma

Some very sound advice from David.

I would also add - don't forget that the 'crop tool' is our friend. With these sort of shots, it is often possible to see a picture within the picture (if that makes sense).

I make no claims that the following in any way improve your shots but just as an example of how you can totally change the look and feel of an image by cropping them differently.

Carl

No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 21/05/2014 - 08:37

alulacheery

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 08:55
Thank you David and Carl, that was exactly what I was looking for. Landscapes are a new game for me (as I think we can see!) And it seems that the principle of cropping tighter is usually better applies in landscapes as well!

I also love a shallow depth of field in my usual photography but I get out into landscapes and obviously feel the need to cram every little thing around me in at all times.

David, the photos you mentioned were taken down, from a raised path, onto the rocks below, which now I can see have flattened any perspective.

Thanks again guys, I do that walk around once a month so hopefully next time I can produce a stronger set of images, every time is part of the learning curve!

GIULIO57

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 13:23
Not bad at all!!!! Good efforts and intersting results...You're lucky to have beautiful places between Monaco and Nice up to Marseille. Please don'te forget Vence and S. Paul de Vence.............
PPG

Smeggypants

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 21:13
2,3 and 4 do nothing for me.

I do like 1 and 5. Especially 5.

I agree with looking out for details in the area to photograph, but don't forget to take lots of wide shots like #1 as well, you'll regret it in years to come if you don't.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 21:20
If you want some inspiration for taking location pics learn from the master, the late Vivian Maier

http://www.vivianmaier.com/gallery/street-1/

She was the genius in doing exactly what David suggested when he said

"What I would do is focus more on the details rather than the wider views, to isolate individual elements of the landscape and architecture"

Walk around and keep a keen eye out for quirky situations or scenes. When you see one, don't linger on it, snap it with gut instinct, move on and look for the next one.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..

Smeggypants

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 21:23
alulacheery wrote:

I also love a shallow depth of field in my usual photography but I get out into landscapes and obviously feel the need to cram every little thing around me in at all times.

I'm a shallow DOF Fan.

Try taking landscapes with a shallow DOF

Gravelrash

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 22:32
I like 5 also. Well executed and a great contrast.

Sometimes you want to remember the view you were enjoying. There's a place for that as well as Gallery hangings. For this purpose alone No.1 succeeds. I guess that's why it looks like a Holiday Brochure picture, cos it works.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 11:22
These are fine, Gemma. I must say I find coastal landscapes and sea-scapes difficult to do well. All the elements are there but somehow I never manage to get the best out of the locations, home or abroad. Inland is different and easier.

I think it's something to do with always having the sea one one side or the other or in front with often a wide, straight, featureless horizon. The light is also a problem, often bright but not necessarily in a good way for photographs. Big clouds help and, as noted above, early or late long shadows.

I suppose this doesn't help much but at least you know I share your pain.

Got to love Vivian, though.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.