Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Vivitar or Tokina

T140
Posted 22/06/2011 - 21:30 Link
Hi looking for some opinions, there are two 400 5.6 manual lenses on e-bay at the moment 1 vivitar and 1 tokina would they be any good for wildlife or would i be better saving my pennies and getting an auto aperture and focus ie. sigma,
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start
Edited by T140: 22/06/2011 - 21:30
George Lazarette
Posted 22/06/2011 - 22:38 Link
I have had some reasonable results with my SMCP-M 400 1:5.6, though I would prefer to own the SMCP-FA* 600mm.

A lot of lesser marque 300mm and 400mm lenses were of rather inferior quality though, and without seeing pictures taken with these lenses I would steer clear.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Algernon
Posted 23/06/2011 - 10:26 Link
They are possibly the same lens. Does the Vivitar SNo start with 37?

Not really a birding lens, but possibly OK for sports etc. at f/8 and high ISO. Bit difficult to hold steady.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Dangermouse
Posted 23/06/2011 - 17:21 Link
As with all of these things it depends on how cheaply you can get them. My personal limit for any manual focus lens is £100 - I won't pay more than that as by then you're getting into hefty chunk of cash which could go towards a new AF lens territory.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Stuey
Posted 24/06/2011 - 12:35 Link
Hello

I am in work at the moment so I don't have the link but if you search for 'vivitar serial numbers' there is a site that details who made the lense for Vivitar according to the serial number - some are better than others so it's best that you check.

Regards

Stu.
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.