Vivitar Lenses/Flash and DSL2

Phil Pearce

Link Posted 15/09/2006 - 00:34
Back in the eighties bought a Pentax P30, then upgraded to Super A, with Vivitar S1 manual focus lenses that had the 'A' aperture setting. Also had the FD550 flash. Fantastic quality. Became redundant after I purchased a Sony Digital compact three years ago until Pentax produced an affordable Digital SLR. Compacts aren't the same are they? A few weeks ago purchased a DSL2 from Jessops, mothballed the 18-55 lens that came with it and attatched the Vivitars. Stunning. Put the Camera on Manual Focus Aperture Priority f8 and fire away. I am so pleased.

The Flash works as if it was on the old Super A - just set it to TTL.

I have the Vivitar S1 70-210mm mk 3 and the S1 28-105mm. Also a Tamron SP 500mm Mirror from the same era. They all work beautifully.

johnriley

Link Posted 15/09/2006 - 00:37
Glad to hear you are getting stunning results - have fun!

Best regards, John

Mannesty

Link Posted 15/09/2006 - 00:41
Welcome to the forum Phil.

One of Pentax's key strengths is the backwards compatibility of the K mount. You can even use M42 screw mount lenses with an adapter.

You'll need to hold that Tamron SP 500mm steady though, it becomes an enormously long 750mm on a Pentax DSLR. I have one too and I can't hold it steady, I can only use it with a tripod.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.