Vivitar 105 v Tamron 90

Transit
Posted 10/10/2009 - 22:07 Link
Hi Guys,
I have the Tamron SP90 2.5 and its matching 2xTC giving 1:1.
I am wondering if I would get much advantage over it with the Vivitar and its native 1:1 ?
I lose light and some IQ with the 2xTC but gain 180mm which is handy.
I would buy a new sigma or tamron but budget precludes that
Any thoughts appreciated
cheers
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Edited by Transit: 10/10/2009 - 22:08
George Lazarette
Posted 10/10/2009 - 22:35 Link
I always thought the Tamron 90 did give 1:1, but perhaps some versions didn't.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
SteveF
Posted 11/10/2009 - 14:50 Link
My Tamron 90/2.5 (52BB)is 1:2 on its own, but gives 1:1 with dedicated extension tube, so no loss of quality as with a TC.
missmarple
Posted 11/10/2009 - 14:55 Link
George

I think it is the 2.8 version that is 1 to 1

the 2.5 has a converter

Regards mm
greyhoundman
Posted 11/10/2009 - 15:10 Link
The 90/2.5 was designed to use the extension tube to give 1:1 at 90mm.
The 2X converter gives 180mm at 1:1. But there is some loss of resolution in it's use.
George Lazarette
Posted 11/10/2009 - 18:15 Link
missmarple wrote:
George

I think it is the 2.8 version that is 1 to 1

the 2.5 has a converter

Regards mm
I'm sure you are right. Thank you.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mike-P
Posted 12/10/2009 - 14:57 Link
I have the Tamron f2.5 SP 90mm 52B 1:2 Adaptall 2 lens along with the 1:1 extension tube (Also have the f2.8 72B 90mm 1:1 version) and it is a great lens but I have to say imo the Vivitar 105mm Series 1 walks all over it IQ wise. I swapped my Vivitar for a Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 and it is probably the daftest thing I have done in a long time. I am currently watching a replacement on Ebay
Edited by Mike-P: 12/10/2009 - 14:58
Mongoose
Posted 12/10/2009 - 15:03 Link
The Vivitar Series 1 105 is also known as the Kiron 105 Macro, and is widely regarded to be among the finest ~100mm macros ever made.

The Tamron is a fine lens, but is outclassed by the Vivitar/Kiron. By reputation even the Pentax D/FA struggles to match it.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help
Clarky
Posted 12/10/2009 - 18:27 Link
Mongoose wrote:
The Vivitar Series 1 105 is also known as the Kiron 105 Macro, and is widely regarded to be among the finest ~100mm macros ever made.

The Tamron is a fine lens, but is outclassed by the Vivitar/Kiron. By reputation even the Pentax D/FA struggles to match it.
Its what also rebadged as the Lester A Dine 105mm 2.8, Its a fantastic lens and a fine piece of engineering.

I have mine listed on E-bay, only selling as I have got my hands on a Voigtlander 125mm / f2.5 Macro Apo-Lanthar SL.
If you are interested Mike let me know.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Transit
Posted 13/10/2009 - 01:48 Link
greyhoundman wrote:
The 90/2.5 was designed to use the extension tube to give 1:1 at 90mm.
The 2X converter gives 180mm at 1:1. But there is some loss of resolution in it's use.
Thanks for that.
I didn't realise about the tube for the SP90.
I am enjoying it with the TC mainly for the length. I think you are right about the resolution loss but it's not too much
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Transit
Posted 13/10/2009 - 01:50 Link
Mike-P wrote:
I have the Tamron f2.5 SP 90mm 52B 1:2 Adaptall 2 lens along with the 1:1 extension tube (Also have the f2.8 72B 90mm 1:1 version) and it is a great lens but I have to say imo the Vivitar 105mm Series 1 walks all over it IQ wise. I swapped my Vivitar for a Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 and it is probably the daftest thing I have done in a long time. I am currently watching a replacement on Ebay
the Vivitar 105 moved out of my price range unfortunately
I was wondering about the DA pentax...
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo