very dark viewfinder image

snappyharry3812

Link Posted 30/04/2018 - 18:57
I have a Pentax K-x, all the pictures on the playback screen are very dark in-spite the pictures being taken in bright sunlight. I cannot check the composition and quality of the picture taken until I get back home.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

spinno

Link Posted 30/04/2018 - 19:21
Have you adjusted the screen brightness? Do you have a manual?
David

snappyharry3812

Link Posted 30/04/2018 - 20:00
Checked manual, adjusted brightness now on max. no difference to picture on the screen.
I have just checked my downloaded photo's on my computer, My wife took same photo's on her Olympus trip camera, her pictures have come out bright and sharp on the computer mine have come out like a very dark and dismal day.

JAK

Link Posted 30/04/2018 - 20:15
snappyharry3812 wrote:
Checked manual, adjusted brightness now on max. no difference to picture on the screen.
I have just checked my downloaded photo's on my computer, My wife took same photo's on her Olympus trip camera, her pictures have come out bright and sharp on the computer mine have come out like a very dark and dismal day.

You could try resetting your K-x to default and see it it puts it back to normal. As to the OH's Olympus Trip, Isn't that a 35mm film camera?
John K

Helpful

snappyharry3812

Link Posted 30/04/2018 - 20:28
Apologies' I should have said that the Olympus is a compact digital camera, not a 'trip' at all.
I am going to try your suggestion. Thank you.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 01/05/2018 - 09:53
DSLRs will often have their metering thrown off by part of the image being bright (e.g. shooting towards a bright sky or open water) and the rest of it being in shadow; you have to anticipate when this is going to occur and apply a little exposure compensation. Or the quick way is to angle your camera slightly away from the bright area, hit exposure lock, and then recompose. Compact cameras and smart phones seem a bit better at exposing automatically for your subject but you'll often have your skies blown out.

Is the KX underexposing for every situation, or just in bright sunlight? If it's all the time, check the metering mode and whether exposure compensation has been left on by mistake.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

johnriley

Link Posted 01/05/2018 - 11:05
Also check you aren't set on spot metering. Use centre weighted or hybrid metering and it will probably give more consistent results. Spot metering needs more in depth understanding to use it successfully.
Best regards, John

snappyharry3812

Link Posted 09/05/2018 - 11:50
Thanks JAK for your advice ! It worked a treat , so far so good. thanks again.
With referance to
JAK wrote:
snappyharry3812 wrote:

You could try resetting your K-x to default and see it it puts it back to normal. As to the OH's Olympus Trip, Isn't that a 35mm film camera?

Thanks to everyone else who offered advice, most appreciated.
snappyharry3812.

JAK

Link Posted 09/05/2018 - 13:42
snappyharry3812 wrote:
Thanks JAK for your advice ! It worked a treat , so far so good. thanks again.

Ah good! Some setting must have got thrown out and was overriding the exposures. Pleased it was nothing serious.
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.