variable ND filters

balsembi

Link Posted 02/10/2014 - 15:25
hi all, i was thinking about getting a variable ND filter but my budget doesn't allow for the expensive brands.
can anyone recommend a cheaper version? and are they any good in comparison to the dear ones?
I'm after a 62mm which I will use for smaller lens using step down adapters.

many thanks
bal
Pentax K3 Pentax SMC-FA 50mm 1.4
Pentax Kr Pentax SMC D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
SMC DAL 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3
SMC DAL 55-300mm Pentax DA 15mm HD F4ED AL
SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm

johnriley

Link Posted 02/10/2014 - 15:52
You may well get colour casts with the cheaper filters, you do get what you pay for.

Maybe eBay would be an alternative. You might pick up better filters for less money, albeit they will be used.
Best regards, John

balsembi

Link Posted 02/10/2014 - 15:59
thanks Jon
they just seem to be very expensive for something i'll use now and then.
i'll give ebay a try

thanks mate

bal
johnriley wrote:
You may well get colour casts with the cheaper filters, you do get what you pay for.

Maybe eBay would be an alternative. You might pick up better filters for less money, albeit they will be used.

Pentax K3 Pentax SMC-FA 50mm 1.4
Pentax Kr Pentax SMC D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
SMC DAL 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3
SMC DAL 55-300mm Pentax DA 15mm HD F4ED AL
SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm

punkrockemo

Link Posted 02/10/2014 - 19:25
I have used cheap variable ND filters of the ebay, although there was a color shift it was manageable. I cant seem to find any photos I am sure were taken with one.

What is worth noting is that when you increase the density to higher levels you get uneven exposures, from what I have read this can also be true of more expensive variable filters. I would do some research before spending alot of money on one.

Also found the markings on the side bear no relation to the affect you get.

alfpics

Link Posted 02/10/2014 - 19:44
punkrockemo wrote:

What is worth noting is that when you increase the density to higher levels you get uneven exposures, from what I have read this can also be true of more expensive variable filters. .

This problem with a variable ND filter increases the wider the angle of the lens - I managed to get a dark cross shape on the image, with others patches where more light gets through
Andy

nass

Link Posted 03/10/2014 - 15:33
I'd be wary of cheap ones of these. They're basically doubled up polarisers and you can get a pretty bad X effect with cheap ones.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Rataegeoff

Link Posted 08/10/2014 - 21:18
I bought a variable own brand one from the 7day place. Its proving a good introduction to the added flexibility of longer exposures and as the main shots have been quite informal I will not say the filter is perfect but nor have I seen any deal-breaking optical issues.

The optics look like they might be cross polarisers but I'd presumed this is the only way to get a variable darkening of the filter glass. Is there a different way that is used by the more expensive variable filters?

The challenge for me with it is to "see" a street scene that gains something from the long exposures possible. All a bit hit and miss so far
K10D,KX, DA 18-55, DA 17-70 AL(IF) SDM, DA*50-135, Sigma 70-300, DAL 50-300mm, Kenko 1.5x, loads of SD cards and even more optimism

nass

Link Posted 09/10/2014 - 10:40
No, they're all doubled up polarisers. But with the cheaper ones you get more of a pronounced "x" over the photo (ie darker areas on the photo over the x bit). I made some myself and the difference between using decent and not so decent polarisers is pronounced.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.