USM and DA* 50-135mm

womble

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 18:46
The USM motor on my DA* 50-135mm appears to have died. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess I'll have to send it off to Pentax for repair. That will probably be painful... Although I love the images on this lens the fact that part of the lenshood attachment snapped off and now the motor has died is not very impressive on an 18 month old lens.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 18:50
Errr, 18 months...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Snootchies

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 18:51
Damn, you beat me to it-I have a habit of not reading things properly first time.

womble

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 18:52
Me too...
Kris Lockyear

My website

Snootchies

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 18:58
Back on topic though it will still be under it's 2 year warranty - I assume it's 2 years?
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 07/06/2009 - 18:58

fatspider

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 18:59
I thought Lenses also had a two year warranty if bought from a pro dealer? and didn't you buy from SRS?

As for the quality of the lens hood, mine has also broken and is now a very slack fit, I thought about asking for a replacement but TBH I cant see it lasting any longer due to the flimsy design.

EDIT remind me to never get into a gunfight with snootchies, he has a faster trigger finger
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Last Edited by fatspider on 07/06/2009 - 19:01

womble

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 19:03
I bought the lens from 17th Street Photo in New York, not SRS.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Last Edited by womble on 07/06/2009 - 19:03

Mike-P

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 19:06
I cant see why they cannot include an option to turn SDM off so that in a situation like this you could at least use screw drive.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 19:22
I understood all lenses have a two year international warranty from Pentax. Worth asking anyway.

polchraine

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 20:02
Womble,

You may have to do a little pleading with Pentax UK.

The warranty on US purchased items is just One Year. Bodies can be registered for an extended warranty but not lenses.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

Unlocker

Link Posted 07/06/2009 - 20:03
Mine got sticky and would falter a bit, seems a lot better at the mo, but does still happen occasionally, but luckily I have a few months left of the 2 year warranty at SRS and will probably get it sorted after the summer.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/06/2009 - 09:58
I have heard that if you interupt the two contacts for SDM, then the body will think it's a screw drive lens. Not sure what the best way of doing that is though.

As I understand it, there is no way for a DA* lens to flip between SDM or screw drive as and when; it will always try for SDM so you need to 'trick' the body.

Something to consider if you dont get anywhere with a 2yr warranty.
Bob

Last Edited by Snootchies on 08/06/2009 - 09:59

stevejcoe

Link Posted 08/06/2009 - 10:20
Snootchies wrote:
I have heard that if you interupt the two contacts for SDM, then the body will think it's a screw drive lens. Not sure what the best way of doing that is though.

As I understand it, there is no way for a DA* lens to flip between SDM or screw drive as and when; it will always try for SDM so you need to 'trick' the body.

Something to consider if you dont get anywhere with a 2yr warranty.

A small piece of insulating tape over the lens contacts should do the trick. Easily reversable so no warranty violation.

Steve

bforbes

Link Posted 08/06/2009 - 10:23
Snootchies wrote:

I don't think that works. I've tried a DA*300 with a AF Teleconverter with no SDM contacts and the lens would only Manual Focus. I've been told SDM lens will only use the screw drive if the camera body is not compatibale with SDM.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/06/2009 - 10:32
bforbes wrote:
Snootchies wrote:

I don't think that works. I've tried a DA*300 with a AF Teleconverter with no SDM contacts and the lens would only Manual Focus. I've been told SDM lens will only use the screw drive if the camera body is not compatibale with SDM.

That's a shame. Well..it was an idea...
Bob

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.