Using independent flash ( e.g. Vivitar 283 ) with K5?
Posted 04/06/2011 - 13:17 - Helpful Comment
Link
It's possible because not all 283s are the same. I have measured two identical looking samples, one of which had a trigger voltage of under 20V but the other was around 290V. Obviously over the years the design has evolved.
I wouldn't risk it and would stick to modern flashguns, even though it may be OK if it's not you'll potentially fry the camera's electronics.
I wouldn't risk it and would stick to modern flashguns, even though it may be OK if it's not you'll potentially fry the camera's electronics.
Best regards, John
Posted 04/06/2011 - 18:09
Link
Thanks John - but, as I feared, it is not only the K5 that is proving to be an expensive move to digital! ( Brilliant camera though!!! )
Posted 04/06/2011 - 18:34
Link
It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 04/06/2011 - 21:46
Link
gartmore wrote:
It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
+1 on that...
It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 05/06/2011 - 07:25 - Helpful Comment
Link
Check the place of manufacture (on bottom of unit). If it says made in Japan it is the older version and will be of the just shy of 300V variety. Made in Korea is latest and will be safe in general. But considering the value of the camera in question, a test with a digital voltmeter is mandatory really even if you have to buy one - a basic voltmeter will suffice - you don't need extreme accuracy to diff < 10 or 20v versus > 250V. Just charge flash off camera and discharge by connecting the meter across the contacts (with flash pointing a way from you
[ BTW 285HV's are also likely to be OK, but older 285's (without HV appended) can be any voltage. I have a very early 285 and it is low voltage, but later ones are not. Strange. So actual testing is the only way to tell. ]
[ BTW 285HV's are also likely to be OK, but older 285's (without HV appended) can be any voltage. I have a very early 285 and it is low voltage, but later ones are not. Strange. So actual testing is the only way to tell. ]
gartmore wrote:
It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
Or - if yours tests out too high - pick up another later 283 and a cheap optical trigger and you have a 2-flash setup while avoiding having to learn a new flash model's operating procedure. That was the path I took.
It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
Posted 05/06/2011 - 15:41 - Helpful Comment
Link
layingback wrote:
Check the place of manufacture (on bottom of unit). If it says made in Japan it is the older version and will be of the just shy of 300V variety. Made in Korea is latest and will be safe in general. But considering the value of the camera in question, a test with a digital voltmeter is mandatory really even if you have to buy one - a basic voltmeter will suffice - you don't need extreme accuracy to diff < 10 or 20v versus > 250V. Just charge flash off camera and discharge by connecting the meter across the contacts (with flash pointing a way from you
[ BTW 285HV's are also likely to be OK, but older 285's (without HV appended) can be any voltage. I have a very early 285 and it is low voltage, but later ones are not. Strange. So actual testing is the only way to tell. ]
I do believe the older vivitars that are capable of frying your d-slr are the same ones that would have fried your mz5n... you should be ok to use it.
Check the place of manufacture (on bottom of unit). If it says made in Japan it is the older version and will be of the just shy of 300V variety. Made in Korea is latest and will be safe in general. But considering the value of the camera in question, a test with a digital voltmeter is mandatory really even if you have to buy one - a basic voltmeter will suffice - you don't need extreme accuracy to diff < 10 or 20v versus > 250V. Just charge flash off camera and discharge by connecting the meter across the contacts (with flash pointing a way from you
[ BTW 285HV's are also likely to be OK, but older 285's (without HV appended) can be any voltage. I have a very early 285 and it is low voltage, but later ones are not. Strange. So actual testing is the only way to tell. ]
gartmore wrote:
It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
Or - if yours tests out too high - pick up another later 283 and a cheap optical trigger and you have a 2-flash setup while avoiding having to learn a new flash model's operating procedure. That was the path I took.It will still be useful as an off-camera flash with a remote trigger
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 05/06/2011 - 16:06 - Helpful Comment
Link
I did some investigation work on the interface between the Pentax K10D, K20D and the Vivitar 283 when I needed to build an system to fire a number of them simultaneously. I have owned more than twenty of these units, but after selling a few I am currently down to my last seventeen! Here is a brain dump of what I found.
The K10D and K20D have a thyristor device as the switching component. High voltage is not a problem for this circuit and I have regularly used Vivitar flashguns with 270 volts on the hotshoe on my cameras with no ill effect. I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
As other posters have outlined, the voltage on the Vivitar 283 hotshoe varies with when the unit was made.
Original Japan units are 270 volts.
Japan made units with a red paper disc sticker on the inside of the battery door are low voltage (around 10 volts or so).
Korea made units are low voltage.
China made units are low voltage.
Circuits to modify the flashguns to low voltage trigger are available online and for various non Pentax reasons I have so modified a number of mine. Avoid those with an opto-coupler as these latch up the Pentax switching thyristor. Google for Jean Paul Brodier whose triac circuit I find to work well.
Most websites show horrible construction, it is quite possible to build an interface into the flash head without any detrimental effect on the appearance or function of the unit. The yellow wire is the trigger, the blue the common.
The K10D and K20D have a thyristor device as the switching component. High voltage is not a problem for this circuit and I have regularly used Vivitar flashguns with 270 volts on the hotshoe on my cameras with no ill effect. I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
As other posters have outlined, the voltage on the Vivitar 283 hotshoe varies with when the unit was made.
Original Japan units are 270 volts.
Japan made units with a red paper disc sticker on the inside of the battery door are low voltage (around 10 volts or so).
Korea made units are low voltage.
China made units are low voltage.
Circuits to modify the flashguns to low voltage trigger are available online and for various non Pentax reasons I have so modified a number of mine. Avoid those with an opto-coupler as these latch up the Pentax switching thyristor. Google for Jean Paul Brodier whose triac circuit I find to work well.
Most websites show horrible construction, it is quite possible to build an interface into the flash head without any detrimental effect on the appearance or function of the unit. The yellow wire is the trigger, the blue the common.
John
Posted 05/06/2011 - 16:22
Link
My viv283's have potentiometers jammed in where the sensors were and peanut slaves.
Full manual control and ultra low power settings to use them for high speed or macro work.
Fine flashes, everybody should have them!
Full manual control and ultra low power settings to use them for high speed or macro work.
Fine flashes, everybody should have them!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 05/06/2011 - 16:31
Link
Likewise Don. 5 modified to fully manual with potentiometers replacing the sensor, one modified to switchable between auto and manual. I use the Seagull triggers SYK3.
John
Posted 05/06/2011 - 16:46
Link
that is the great thing about old stuff... if you are creative, you never have to throw it away!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 05/06/2011 - 18:16
Link
Quote:
I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
But we can't assume that.
I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
Best regards, John
Posted 05/06/2011 - 19:06
Link
digikid-tv wrote:
The K10D and K20D have a thyristor device as the switching component. High voltage is not a problem for this circuit and I have regularly used Vivitar flashguns with 270 volts on the hotshoe on my cameras with no ill effect. I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
From what i've read the Pentax are comfirm with the ISO standard so that means 24 volt isn't a problem and I've read the PC socket on the K7 and the K5 are protected but not that the hotshoe is though.The K10D and K20D have a thyristor device as the switching component. High voltage is not a problem for this circuit and I have regularly used Vivitar flashguns with 270 volts on the hotshoe on my cameras with no ill effect. I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
Better to play it safe i think then be sorry.
Posted 05/06/2011 - 19:18
Link
johnriley wrote:
I do not own a K5 to test, and currently I have no intention of purchasing one.Quote:
I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
But we can't assume that.I would imagine that the K5 is the same.
If someone would care to loan me one I could test it in in a non damaging way, then we would know for sure.
John
Posted 14/06/2011 - 10:16
Link
Just bringing this thread back for a moment...
I have a Vivitar 365 with a guide number of 48 (in metres). I've tried it with a slave fired by a small gun on the hot shoe and it can boil oceans. Since it comes with an on-camera sensor unit with variable zoom it is quite a sophisticated beast, it would be nice to use it via the K5 PC socket.
I've measured the voltage on the PC lead at 46 volts. That's too much for hot shoes, but I'm wondering whether the PC socket would be ok with that. Some PC arrangements are actually a mechanical switch in the shutter mechanism, certainly on older bodies.
Any ideas?
I have a Vivitar 365 with a guide number of 48 (in metres). I've tried it with a slave fired by a small gun on the hot shoe and it can boil oceans. Since it comes with an on-camera sensor unit with variable zoom it is quite a sophisticated beast, it would be nice to use it via the K5 PC socket.
I've measured the voltage on the PC lead at 46 volts. That's too much for hot shoes, but I'm wondering whether the PC socket would be ok with that. Some PC arrangements are actually a mechanical switch in the shutter mechanism, certainly on older bodies.
Any ideas?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



17 posts
15 years