URGENT HELP NEEDED...!!!

Duncan knifton
Posted 30/01/2009 - 09:23 Link
I have a problem with my Iomega External Hard Drive.
It keeps coming up as "Not Formatted"......

Now....if I format a SD Card.....I can sometimes use a Retrieval programme to find missing files / images.

Would this work on an External Hard Drive........

DONT WORRY, I'M NOT TOUCHING IT AT THE MO.....
This is for worse case ....etc..

Thanks
K20D. fab camera
K10 (brilliant Digital)
MZ-S (brilliant film camera, still use it for B&W)
Mike-P
Posted 30/01/2009 - 09:43 Link
Those type of programmes usually work on all media including hard drives but if the drive is coming up as not formatted that would sound more like a problem with the boot sector in which case it probably wont work.

Worth a shot though, its not going to make it any worse.
iceblinker
Posted 30/01/2009 - 13:12 Link
If you don't have Acronis Disk Director already, have a go with the free trial:

http://www.acronis.co.uk/promo/ADD/disk-director-015.html/?source=uk_google&ad=a...

It has some tools that might help you recover data or fix the disk or copy partions to another disk.
~Pete
Edited by iceblinker: 30/01/2009 - 13:15
shim
Posted 30/01/2009 - 14:29 Link
It might be better to remove the HD from the case and put it in your computer as a slave drive and then run some diagnostics on it. Hopefully the fault may be in the enclosure and all your data will be safe.

I think there's a Bootable Linux CD available that will copy the drive over to another drive even if it's got errors using a built in Linux command. PC stuff like Drive Image won't copy a drive if it finds errors.

shim
Malo1961
Posted 30/01/2009 - 15:54 Link
This usually happens when you just unplug the drive from the pc (xp or vista) without the use of the option; Remove hardware safely.
It happened to me once, and the only cure was to format it again.
Lucky for me, I had a second external HD with all the data intact as a back-up.
I won't make that mistake twice.

Good luck,

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Mannesty
Posted 30/01/2009 - 17:53 Link
Find out what the actual drive is inside the case. If it's a Seagate SATA drive, check out Seagate's Knowledge Base article.

I have two affected drives in a NAS box and they don't get turned off very often and therefore not likely to be an immediate problem for me.

Seagate say the data is still intact when this occurs and they will help resolve it.

I've emailed them twice for updated firmware, no answer as yet.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 08/02/2009 - 10:21
gartmore
Posted 30/01/2009 - 22:27 Link
Even if you do format it you can still get everything back, the software I have is called 'get data back', it does what it says
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Duncan knifton
Posted 08/02/2009 - 09:56 Link
To one and all.....thank you ll for you advice and tips etc,....

Just to let you know,...the shop I took it to did a deep scan (11hrs) and have retrieved EVERYTHING....

Phew!

Everything is now backed up on DVD's....ha ha
K20D. fab camera
K10 (brilliant Digital)
MZ-S (brilliant film camera, still use it for B&W)
Prieni
Posted 08/02/2009 - 10:03 Link
Duncan,

good to hear that they were able to retrieve everything. That's a load of your shoulders, right?

Belts AND braces doesn't sound that silly anymore, does it?

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo