Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

UPGRADING TO FULL FRAME

Posted 27/07/2017 - 11:57 Link
Hi, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my kit to FF with the K-1. I currently have a K-3 with 3 Sigma lenses f3.5 10-20, f2.8 17-70 and APO 70-300.
As far as I can make out the lenses I have would be pretty useless on the K-1. If I have it correct they would knock the effective size of the sensor in the K-1 down to around 18mp, way below the K-3. To upgrade with the FF lenses the problem seems to be that these are few, and far between currently. Plus are super expensive compared to the APS-C models. Also given that my current set up at 300mm is the equivalent of 450 on the 35mm (FF), to get the same zoom on a FF system I would have to buy a lens that goes to 450mm.
The other option is to wait for the imminent? release of the K-3iis? and see if it has the same pixel shift system from the K-1 on board + other goodies.

Am I looking at this correctly or am I miles off target? Can anyone out there help me out please.
Thanks.
Andrew G.
Chrism8
Posted 27/07/2017 - 12:19 Link
You've pretty much go it spot on, when I moved from a K5iis to a K1, and from previous models, a good number of my lenses were FF compatible so I only had to change the Sigma 17 - 70 and the Pentax 10 - 17.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 27/07/2017 - 12:36 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
You've pretty much go it spot on, when I moved from a K5iis to a K1, and from previous models, a good number of my lenses were FF compatible so I only had to change the Sigma 17 - 70 and the Pentax 10 - 17.

Posted 27/07/2017 - 12:40 Link
Thanks for this Chris. I know my lenses are compatible with the K-1 (all K mount) but it seems for me to get the full benefit from the K-1 I will have to spend a bucket load of cash on new lenses.

Just realised I have posted this to the wrong forum and don't know how to move it. Sorry about that.
Regards
Andrew G
MrB
Posted 27/07/2017 - 12:44 Link
Is this an example of want v. need? The K-1 looks to be a superb camera, but for your photography do you really need the extra resolution, or the extra stop of shorter depth-of-field, or a couple of stops of ISO performance? Just considering one of your lenses - you already have super-wide capability in the Sigma 10-20; the equivalent 15-30 on a K-1 would weigh nearly double and the combo would cost over £3000. Pixel shift could be done now with the K-3II at much less than half the cost of a K-1, and it will probably be featured on the next APS-C, along with much improved high ISO like the K-P. But, of course, if you want full-frame, then go for it!

Cheers.
Philip
Posted 27/07/2017 - 13:03 Link
MrB wrote:
Is this an example of want v. need? The K-1 looks to be a superb camera, but for your photography do you really need the extra resolution, or the extra stop of shorter depth-of-field, or a couple of stops of ISO performance? Just considering one of your lenses - you already have super-wide capability in the Sigma 10-20; the equivalent 15-30 on a K-1 would weigh nearly double and the combo would cost over £3000. Pixel shift could be done now with the K-3II at much less than half the cost of a K-1, and it will probably be featured on the next APS-C, along with much improved high ISO like the K-P. But, of course, if you want full-frame, then go for it!

Cheers.
Philip

Posted 27/07/2017 - 13:12 Link
Hi Philip, This is definitely a want rather than a need. I am not a professional, just an enthusiastic amateur but I like to get my pictures to be the best I can get them. The cost impact looks to be too much for me to bear, that is, convince the other member of the household, if you get my drift. I will probably keep my eyes open for the next APS-C (K-3iis?) and if this has a big enough leap with technology I will probably buy one of these. The current K-3ii has pixel shift but only for static objects. I understand that with the K-1 the Pixel Shift system works with moving objects also.

Cheers
Andrew G.
DaveKitson
Posted 27/07/2017 - 14:00 Link
Anstonian wrote:
The current K-3ii has pixel shift but only for static objects. I understand that with the K-1 the Pixel Shift system works with moving objects also.

Motion Correction for pixelshift is not a hardware implementation.

If you shoot raw, and have the latest version of the Pentax software you can try out MC on your K3ii images.

If you shoot jpeg, obviously the K3ii dosn't have the firmware to do the correction in camera.

dave k
vic cross
Posted 27/07/2017 - 14:01 Link
Hi Andrew. You could of course look for some 2nd. hand FF lenses. They were around for the likes of the Z1p etc. Also if you don't mind manual focus then there are some good "A" lenses around.
Personally My old collection of FF lenses is as follows.
Sigma 18mm. M
Vivitar 24mm. A
Pentax 50mm. A
Chinon 28-70mm. M
Tamron 90mm. Macro. AF
Takuma 135mm. M
Tamron 70-300mm. AF
Sigma 400mm. AF
Sigma 50-500mm. AF
I get on OK with these "OLD" lenses from my film days and if I want to use my Digital lenses then I don't do a full crop I do a square crop and this works out OK.
Maybe that would keep you happy until you can persuade her indoors to let you spend some money??
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
johnriley
Posted 27/07/2017 - 14:01 Link
The K-3 II is already a great camera, and could be ideal for you as it is. Pixel shift is an interesting feature, but hardly for everyday use?

If you wait it will probably cost you more.
Best regards, John
wvbarnes
Posted 27/07/2017 - 14:04 Link
Hi Andrew,

Looking through your excellent gallery on here I don't see what you need to change.
I strategically snapped up the K3 II before the recent price rises (AFC the big improvement for me with new PLM zoom) and am very happy with it. I've had no results with limited tests of pixel shift. Given it takes four images in sequence at speed selected with mirror up you certainly need a good tripod.
I'm guessing a K3 III or what ever its called will be twice the price i paid for the MkII so i'll be looking at two years after introduction again. Early adopters pay a high price and get early bugs.
Posted 27/07/2017 - 14:46 Link
wvbarnes wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Looking through your excellent gallery on here I don't see what you need to change.
I strategically snapped up the K3 II before the recent price rises (AFC the big improvement for me with new PLM zoom) and am very happy with it. I've had no results with limited tests of pixel shift. Given it takes four images in sequence at speed selected with mirror up you certainly need a good tripod.
I'm guessing a K3 III or what ever its called will be twice the price i paid for the MkII so i'll be looking at two years after introduction again. Early adopters pay a high price and get early bugs.

Posted 27/07/2017 - 14:55 Link
Thanks for your flattering comments Bill.
I guess the thought of upgrading to FF just yet is receding into the distance at a fast rate. Looks like I would be best advised to improve with the K-3 by maybe adding another lens or two. (Just for the record, is there any benefit moving to the K3ii from the K3 in your opinion? There are differences, obviously, but are they worth the move? When it originally came out I did not think there was enough to change at that point).
Recent price rises have been brutal. If I remember correctly the K1 was on at around £1500 when it first came to market. That's Brexit for you.

Much appreciated input, thanks.
Andrew G.
stub
Posted 27/07/2017 - 15:45 Link
Without changing your lens collection too. In my opinion you will see little benefit from upgrading the camera body from K3ii to K1.. As you quite rightly point out current Pentax wide angle lenses are expensive. and longer lenses more expensive still. You could use older film lenses but why ? when you already have a perfectly good body to use..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
wvbarnes
Posted 27/07/2017 - 15:54 Link
Hi Andrew,

I bought a very late K3 and used it heavily so it was showing signs of wear and tear. i got a MkII from SRS just before the £150 price increase thanks to their very helpful staff.

I think the improvements are subtle but worthwhile.

I've yet to properly play with pixel shift and astro tracing (Northumberland holiday next month?)

I've already found the extra stop of SR, the much improved AFC for birds in flight and the good pairing with the first PLM KAF4 55 to 300mm zoom an improvement. Failure rate with wildlife much reduced. I could not get on with AFC on the K3 now i prefer it to AFS. I think it's a software improvement that could have been applied to the Mk 1. I still tend towards single point AF though with telephoto.

I've cleared out all other lenses and I've bought a used 20 - 40 Ltd on here (beautiful lens) and a much smaller Lowepro Nova 160 AW bag (used for £10) . So light and productive so far. See my gallery on here.

i really hope APS-C continues in the same vein. I'd like to see a slightly lighter body as it's grown in size and weight since the K5. I bet it doesn't with the trend towards flippy screens and wifi etc.

I hope that helps.

Anstonian wrote:
Thanks for your flattering comments Bill.
I guess the thought of upgrading to FF just yet is receding into the distance at a fast rate. Looks like I would be best advised to improve with the K-3 by maybe adding another lens or two. (Just for the record, is there any benefit moving to the K3ii from the K3 in your opinion? There are differences, obviously, but are they worth the move? When it originally came out I did not think there was enough to change at that point).
Recent price rises have been brutal. If I remember correctly the K1 was on at around £1500 when it first came to market. That's Brexit for you.

Much appreciated input, thanks.
Andrew G.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.