Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Unedited photos

Posted 06/03/2010 - 22:44 Link
I know this may possibly have been discussed before, but has there ever been a competition for unedited, ie untweaked digital photos?
I like to take photos, and never spend ages tweaking them, although I must admit I do sometimes a little bit, but not drastically.
Just thought a competition without any photo editing allowed might be challenging
K10D, DL2, MZ3, Canon 550d
Anvh
Posted 06/03/2010 - 23:10 Link
I know some forums have different rules and competitions but I believe the darkroom/lightroom is as much part of photography as capturing the actual photo, you always need to develop your photos if you aim for the best.
I don't think we should separate them or forbid to use one.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Hardgravity
Posted 07/03/2010 - 07:54 Link
I know where you're coming from hoofer'

I tend not to 'tweak' images, I'm just too lazy.

But as Stefan says, the post processing is as much part of photography as taking the shot.

On the bright side, most images taken with Pentax cameras need little or no tweaking, unlike a certain other make, (cough, canon, cough!)who's owners seem unable to publish straight from the body!

I don't enter the comps, if you look at my gallery you can see why!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
fatspider
Posted 07/03/2010 - 09:23 Link
The question with this one is where do you draw the line, do you mean completely unedited and straight from the camera? if so what do we do about those who shoot RAW, what about all the specks on images from sensor dust, are we to allow tweaking of levels and saturation, or even sharpening etc.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Hardgravity
Posted 07/03/2010 - 11:19 Link
Removing sensor dust is the main thing I do in PP, Converting from RAW would be a problem if 'no' PP were allowed.

Personally I see no problem if people want to alter their images, after all it's the individual to do as much or little as they think the image needs.

I'm just lazy, preferring not to do too much.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Anvh
Posted 07/03/2010 - 14:45 Link
I wonder if this forum need such rule, many members don't play a lot in photoshop to begin with like HG said.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Steveninwyoming
Posted 07/03/2010 - 15:51 Link
In my thinking, I dont believe there needs to be a rule that you cant PP. However, photography by definition is producing an image by the action of radiant energy, especially light on a sensitive surface.

At some point you leave the definition of photography.

I believe there should be an entire seperate catorgory for out of the camara images.

The seprate catagory could then limit the kinds of post processing that are allowable. Spotting, Cropping ect.

Both of these catogories are art forms and there are people that excell in these areas. I do not feel that they should have to compete against each other.

Some people, like my self, do not have the desire to post process. That does not mean they are not good photographers. If an acceptable image can not be captured digitally without post processing we need to rethink and redefine photography. Acceptable images were produced straight out of the camera with film for 150 years.

These are just my thoughts on the subject, I'll quit rambeling now.

Steven
Edited by Steveninwyoming: 07/03/2010 - 15:54
Anvh
Posted 07/03/2010 - 16:10 Link
Steveninwyoming wrote:
If an acceptable image can not be captured digitally without post processing we need to rethink and redefine photography. Acceptable images were produced straight out of the camera with film for 150 years.

Well I'm one of those.
That light sensitive surface you talk about has limitations so I try to expose it so that it capture most of the tonal range as it can and well photos are often to bright since you expose to the right so does that mean I'm not a good photographer?

Even those that took a photo 150 years ago needed to develop that light sensitive surface, I'm sure they also used all kind of tricks
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
mikew
Posted 07/03/2010 - 16:15 Link
Quote:
Some people, like my self, do not have the desire to post process. That does not mean they are not good photographers. If an acceptable image can not be captured digitally without post processing we need to rethink and redefine photography. Acceptable images were produced straight out of the camera with film for 150 years.

So they produced a print straight from the camera even though it would a negative? I never did that as I never had a polaroid. The closest you got to what you describe was shooting slides and even then some people would adjust the processing to suit the conditions.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Lloydy
Posted 07/03/2010 - 19:19 Link
Quote:
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.
Ansel Adams

If post processing is good enough for Ansel Adams, I guess it's good enough for anyone.
bwlchmawr
Posted 07/03/2010 - 19:43 Link
I couldn't imagine not even levelling my pictures and I thought, if ytou shoot RAW (which I rarely do) you HAVE to sharpen as nothing's done by the camera.

As for the good old days...I seemed to spend ages in Dad's cold and smelly old darkroom dodging and burning, snatching prints from the devloper... And I was fed up with colour prints coming back from the processors with someone else's ideas of what the original scene should have looked like.

But it's an interesting idea. (Blimey, I'd have to get my horizons horizontal and my door frames vertical in the camera! And as for deliberately underexposing foregrounds to preserve cloud highlight detail...)

Best wishes,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.