Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Tripod and monopod question

aminstar
Posted 06/05/2009 - 18:00 Link
I just received my new Redsnapper tripod and a manopod also that I ordered together. I am just confused about the monopod attachments for the camera. I remember when ordering it I was asked if I wanted an extra QR plate and also was told that the ball head came with one and I could use that one for the monopod if I didnt mind keeping on swapping it.
What I confused about is, is that top plate removable and does it come off from the ball attachment and then am I supposed to attach it to the monopod? If that's the case then I really regret not getting one extra one, seems too much of a hassle. I thought its something simple that can be just taken off and swapped. Unless I am missing something here. Surely I am not supposed to fit the complete ball head on top of the monopod, or am I?

These is when I show the true colours of a newbie huh? , helpppp

Thank you,

by the way, the tripod and the monopod seems extremely good and sturdy. love it at first sight,. And the bag that came with it, its excellent and so comfy to carry, nothing like the velbon I was using, starting to think how on earth did I survive without a good tripod, it was well overdue

Thanks

Amin
JPC1970
Posted 06/05/2009 - 18:09 Link
aminstar wrote:

by the way, the tripod and the monopod seems extremely good and sturdy. love it at first sight,. And the bag that came with it, its excellent and so comfy to carry, nothing like the velbon I was using, starting to think how on earth did I survive without a good tripod, it was well overdue

Thanks

Amin

I can't really help you with your question but have to agree with the quality of the Redsnapper tripod/ballhead combo.

I bought mine about a month ago and for the price I don't think you could get better. The bag is very handy too being able to carry the tripod with ballhead attached.

Jason
K30 & 18-55mm WR.
bforbes
Posted 06/05/2009 - 19:09 Link
If I understand what you say correctly it sounds as it you have no head on the Monopod. The QR plate would normally be attached to the camera so that you can move it between tripod and monopod heads.
Mannesty
Posted 06/05/2009 - 19:41 Link
I don't know that particular brand of gear, I have standardised on Manfrotto.

What I will say is that I have many more QR plates than tripods/monopods. Basically I have a QR plate on each lens, camera, bellows etc. that needs one.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Anvh
Posted 06/05/2009 - 19:52 Link
Wow you got me lost Amin

It seems to me you have a monopod, a tripod, one ball head and a QR plate for that ball head.
What you need to do is switch the ball head to whatever you're using (tri/mono,-pod) and simply keep the QR attach to your camera.
In your case an extra QR would have been nice for the DA*300mm, which has his own support.

You can of course order an extrahead with the same QR plate so that you don't have to switch a thing anymore.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Bob and his Pentax
Posted 06/05/2009 - 20:24 Link
What Stefan says is right.

The QR plate is just the little bit that attaches to the camera and clips in to the top of the ball head.

What you need to change between the tripod and monopod is the complete ball head. This shouldn't be a great inconvenience as (in my experience) there are tripod shoots and monopod shoots and on any single shoot at least one of them will be left at home or in the car.
Good luck

Bob

Pentax user since 1978, Digital since 1997.
Kit includes: K-7, K20D, K10D, *istDS, full set DA* lens, etc
aminstar
Posted 06/05/2009 - 20:49 Link
I get it now. And its correct, the monopod came without the head, as I understand now from your kind comments above here.
So if I want to use the monopod I have to attach the ball head to the monopod and vice versa.
And also correct, its really convenient to have one more Q-Plate in this case, specially because of the DA*300 attachment. Ideally of course its better not to keep on moving this, and have another one for the camera for use with any other lens. So they remain permanently on the body and one on the DA*300.

I was just under the impression that the monopod would have its own fixed head, but aparently its not the case.

Thanks

Amin
Mannesty
Posted 06/05/2009 - 21:16 Link
aminstar wrote:

I was just under the impression that the monopod would have its own fixed head . . .

That is partially true in that the monopod will/should have a male screw thread sticking out of the top (probably). You could just screw this into the female tripod/monopod thread of your camera/lens/whatever.
Mike-P
Posted 06/05/2009 - 22:11 Link
If you paid £37.95 for the monopod then it should have come with the mini ballhead, mine did.
Mike-P
Posted 06/05/2009 - 22:14 Link
Or did you get this one which is cheaper but no head?
aminstar
Posted 06/05/2009 - 23:31 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Or did you get this one which is cheaper but no head?

I just calculated it all, and its clear now, I got the cheaper one Mike, and then the tripod and the ball head, and with the discount I paid £122.11

I will have a go at the monopod by attaching the ball head on it tomorrow and see how I get along.

Thanks for helping me clarifying this for me.

There is also a small plastic bag that came with a small screw and a little spanner to use with the screw, dont know what this is for. Seems something like an adapter screw.

Will take some shots tomorrow to upload here.

EDITED: Just found out that the screw fits underneath the ball head, its a reducer. Just wondering where this will become useful
Edited by aminstar: 06/05/2009 - 23:37
Mannesty
Posted 07/05/2009 - 06:51 Link
aminstar wrote:
EDITED: Just found out that the screw fits underneath the ball head, its a reducer. Just wondering where this will become useful

Some accessories that you might want to attach to it have a smaller tripod socket. 1/4" or 3/8" I think.
Unlocker
Posted 07/05/2009 - 15:27 Link
Must admit, I've only just started to appreciate using my monopod, especially with the football and cricket shots I have posted recently, to support either the Sigma 100-300mm F4 or DA* 60-250.

In both instances, I couldn't even be bothered with a head, just screwed the monopod straight into the lens support and got on with it. Maybe that way aids with the stability?
shim
Posted 07/05/2009 - 16:15 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Must admit, I've only just started to appreciate using my monopod, especially with the football and cricket shots I have posted recently, to support either the Sigma 100-300mm F4 or DA* 60-250.

In both instances, I couldn't even be bothered with a head, just screwed the monopod straight into the lens support and got on with it. Maybe that way aids with the stability?

Much more versatile with a good quality ball and socket head that has a slot that allows it to be moved to 90deg. That way you can just rest the monopod on your shoulder or point the camera upwards in the case of a bird, slacken off the ball and let the monopod hang vertical, tighten the ball and then steady the camera by pushing or holding the monopod against your body.

You could damage your camera without something there to give under sudden impact.

shim
Edited by shim: 07/05/2009 - 16:17
aminstar
Posted 07/05/2009 - 16:23 Link
shim wrote:

Much more versatile with a good quality ball and socket head that has a slot that allows it to be moved to 90deg. That way you can just rest the monopod on your shoulder or point the camera upwards in the case of a bird, slacken off the ball and let the monopod hang vertical, tighten the ball and then steady the camera by pushing or holding the monopod against your body.

You could damage your camera without something there to give under sudden impact.

shim

Shim, sounds like the ball head I have is just what you are describing. Got to read your sentence again slowly to see if I can follow it through, , hang on, sorry I am a bit slow today lol. But the mention of a slot rang the bell and my ball head has something like that, a slot that at first I didn't know what to use it for. But let me just go back and try to imagine the movements as you describe and seems I might be on to a winner and start using the monopod

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.