Trip to University Botanic Garden

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 16:01
I have a very interesting weekend. Had a trip to the Cambridge University botanic garden, and practiced shooting some flowers.

All comments, criticism and advice are welcome!

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 16:07
the first one is taken with an old M135/3.5, I am amazed at its good performance. Here are some more.

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 16:10
Sorry, This is my first time to post here. I don't know whether I should put all pictures in one thread or in separate comment. But here is some more pictures.

and this

I am completely helpless with the names of the flowers...Probably next time I should bring a notebook to write them down.

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 16:13
And some more. I hope this doesn't bore you... haha.

two of my favourite:

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 16:29
I took a few macro shots as well with the 18-55 II, The kit lens has very good optical performance, at least to me, haha

Please give me some feedback about ways to improve. Thanks!

paulyrichard

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 17:05
I like the sixth photo Frank, but only as a cropped image leavin' three of the flowers in the scene.
The out of focus background is nice.

Somethin' like this.

"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Last Edited by paulyrichard on 10/08/2009 - 17:09

darlene

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 17:34
I like #7 frank.....the bright dasies with the dark back ground seem to bring out the flowers more....

mecrox

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 18:51
Nice shots, Frank. I agree with what you say about the often under-estimated kit lens. There's a Botanic Garden where I live (Oxford) and it is a great place in the same way. The colours in some of these shots are gorgeous, and I like the way you've captured the white water lily without blowing the highlights which I always find very easy to do with white or lightish objects.

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:15
mecrox wrote:
Nice shots, Frank. I agree with what you say about the often under-estimated kit lens. There's a Botanic Garden where I live (Oxford) and it is a great place in the same way. The colours in some of these shots are gorgeous, and I like the way you've captured the white water lily without blowing the highlights which I always find very easy to do with white or lightish objects.

Thanks, mecrox. I read it on dpreview that for pentax camera it is good to underexpose half a stop or one stop because its dynamic range extends better on the shadow range than highlight range so I shoot with EV -0.5 most of the time.. I think I was quite lucky with this shot.
Last Edited by frankwu on 10/08/2009 - 20:16

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:23
paulyrichard wrote:
I like the sixth photo Frank, but only as a cropped image leavin' three of the flowers in the scene.
The out of focus background is nice.

Somethin' like this.

Thanks Pauly. I think the picture needs some crop as well. The left side of the image seems a little empty. I wanted to place the tallest flower around the golden ratio point but that's not very easy

frankwu

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:25
darlene wrote:
I like #7 frank.....the bright dasies with the dark back ground seem to bring out the flowers more....

THank you for the encouragement!

Malo1961

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 21:21
Every time I see a post with pictures using "Old Glass" my heart makes a joy full jump. Every time I see those picture I see confirmation of the quality these little gems can produce (specially on digital). Your examples are no exception. Keep on posting them, Frank

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.