tower or laptop?
Posted 10/12/2010 - 11:33
Link
I would go for a tower for two reasons. 1/ You can have one built to the spec you require. 2/ if somethnig goes wrong a tower is easier to maintain. just thought of 3/ easier to upgrade. whenever I've had to have a laptop looked, at it's been, "it's cheaper to buy a new one" or " you can't get the parts"
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:00
Link
A tower will give you much more bang for your buck too.
Also a bigger screen, having recently started using a 27" screen for editing I find going back to my old 17" laptop a bit depressing
Also a bigger screen, having recently started using a 27" screen for editing I find going back to my old 17" laptop a bit depressing
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:11
Link
Any recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:15
Link
The latest Dell IPS screens are supposed to be good value for a good quality screen. You should be able to get the 23" one for less than £300. Something like double that for the 27" one.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:16
Link
Quote:
Any recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
An LCD with IPS (In Plane Switching)... there are some cost effective Dell displays that aren't bad apparently Any recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:23
Link
Quote:
Any recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
::: Fort Knox only have Gold, you wont be able to steal a screen sillyAny recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
And yes I concur with the advice for a tower for the reasons already given, laptop might be an option if you found one with sufficient procesing power and were willing to splash out on a docking station and seperate monitor.
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:26
Link
I can't imagine going back to a desktop. I use my laptop all around the house for all sorts of things. I can plug in an external monitor if I want better editing capabilities, just as I plug in my scanner, or data projector, or external hard disks. I haven't used a desk top regularly for maybe eight years now.
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 10/12/2010 - 12:28
Link
The grandson has just had a new package, including screen, for gaming. He was recommended an LED type sceen, seems they are the new technology. Don't know if they are any good for photo editing?
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 10/12/2010 - 13:42
Link
I would go for a small format desktop system and use the money saved to buy a good flat screen monitor.
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 10/12/2010 - 13:43
Link
fatspider wrote:
Well I heard they have clean K5's in there so it's not that far fetched.
Quote:
Any recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
::: Fort Knox only have Gold, you wont be able to steal a screen sillyAny recommendations on screens that don't require a visit to Fort Knox with a balaclava?
Posted 10/12/2010 - 13:55
Link
Interesting replies and confirm most of what I was thinking.
This current computer is about 7 years old and made locally by an independant company. It has been upgraded once. I was thinking of going back to them.
What specs would you suggest for the tower?
How would you 'future proof' such a system?
Dave
This current computer is about 7 years old and made locally by an independant company. It has been upgraded once. I was thinking of going back to them.
What specs would you suggest for the tower?
Hyram wrote:
I would go for a small format desktop system and use the money saved to buy a good flat screen monitor.
What would you class as a good monitor?I would go for a small format desktop system and use the money saved to buy a good flat screen monitor.
How would you 'future proof' such a system?
Dave
Posted 10/12/2010 - 14:45
Link
Looking for a monitor I would probably start here link, compile a short list and then try and find further reviews.
IMHO 19" is the smallest that you would want to consider.
Not sure that you can future proof, but you are almost certainly looking at 64bit systems, so that you can make use of the huge amount of memory that can now be installed.
IMHO 19" is the smallest that you would want to consider.
Not sure that you can future proof, but you are almost certainly looking at 64bit systems, so that you can make use of the huge amount of memory that can now be installed.
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 10/12/2010 - 14:55
Link
My local shop asked us to take the system requirements for some of the programmes we wanted to run then made up a spec to suit + some.
I'm told you should have a duel core proccessor to run Windows7 with 3 or 4 GB of ram if you are doing any kind of graphics. As bigger hard drive dics as you need. (1TB in the grandsons machine) and a good graphics card.
I'm told you should have a duel core proccessor to run Windows7 with 3 or 4 GB of ram if you are doing any kind of graphics. As bigger hard drive dics as you need. (1TB in the grandsons machine) and a good graphics card.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1366 posts
20 years
yorkshire
Dave