Towards a personal style

George Lazarette

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 09:06
A rare comment by Giulio57 (a man of few words, many emotica, and one acronym - PPG) got me thinking.

He said of "Occidental Resonance" (a new photo in the gallery by Morpheus71) that "it bears your fingerprint".

Having a recognisable personal style is a goal of many artists, and not just visual artists. You can generally identify Wagner after two notes. In our field, Ansel Adams and HCB are pretty much instantly recognisable. So too, very often, is Cecil Beaton, and no doubt there are many others.

Here on PU, I can always nearly always recognise the work of that prolific and accomplished Welshman (I can't spell Bwlchmawr ) and of course Timbo's finely crafted nudes stick out a mile.

Before he defected, Puma's lovely landscapes were another group that always declared their maker.

Who else would you say has a distinctive style, and what makes it so?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

redbusa99

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 11:46
two others come to mind for me, one is "autumnlight" using a very soft lighting effect on her images just made them really special. have not seen any lately so she may well have defected. the other is Nigel, McGregNi, and his love of the saturation slider, you cannot fail to know whose those are
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

timbo

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 15:37
Thank for the mention George, I always wanted a style and found that the key is not to try, but just to do what you enjoy and do best, and a style will come
Tim

http://www.timpile.co.uk

McGregNi

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 19:00
Not sure if I got an 'honourable mention' there or not, but in any case I do think its good to have some characteristics of your images over time that send a certain consistent message out. There's a distinction of course between stylistic elements and photos simply being similar in other ways. For example, it is often easy to spot images from people we know simply by the subject matter and location .....most of us don't travel endlessly around the world photographing every country to confuse people .... we tend to photograph our home areas mostly and places we can get to regularly.

An example of this is Alan's (Blythman) colourful Blyth beach images (often with the prominent groyne as foreground) ..... whilst there are clearly personal stylistic components consistent to each shot, just the recognition of the location and general layout of the shot would be enough to identify the source straight away.

It would be interesting to start a list here of 'styles' .... things that each photographer can make their own and personalise that create a unique stamp on their images. I'm not sure if 'saturated' is a style really .... more a tendency or preference, and of course it can simply be adjusted at will. Of course not all of my shots are highly saturated .... now I'm thinking if there are any other stylistic features that are consistent ....

So, come on then .... what are some photographic elements, styles, that could adapt and become unique to a photographer and add that identity stamp?

I'll start with one that applies in my view to Andrew ( Bwlchmawr) .... 'A predominately centralised composition style' ... ie framing that is balanced around the centre of the image with fairly equal amount of space around the edges. This is an alternative to the more classical 'rule of thirds' type of framing, and I often see it as a distinguishing feature in Andrew's work. Just to kick it off .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 05/04/2015 - 19:01

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 19:10
QuestionableCarrot.... tightly framed candid portraits with carefully controlled DOF. He obviously can get his sitters to feel comfortable and relaxed with being photographed, which comes over in the pictures.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

McGregNi

Link Posted 05/04/2015 - 19:49
Interesting that one Will .... I certainly can see how a photographers way of getting people to relax for a portrait could indeed lead to a certain 'style '

But 'tightly framed ....with carefully controlled DOF'?? Can this feature be a 'style' . Is it not really simply 2 particular photographic techniques? Could you not say something similar about my landscapes ? .....'widely framed scenes with a full DOF from front to infinity...' ?? Is that a style or a type of technical setting?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidwozhere

Link Posted 06/04/2015 - 00:53
Palani
Nearly everything, whether a macro or a portrait, is isolated from any context with concentration on the immediate detail
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

gartmore

Link Posted 06/04/2015 - 10:51
I can always spot David Trout's pictures
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

McGregNi

Link Posted 06/04/2015 - 12:15
Ken, what would you say were the key identifiers in stylistic terms? As soon as you said that name I can see blue boats and colourful reflections in water, tight urban details and quite a graphical approach .... Are these things 'a style' or just a technical approach to shooting particular subject matter?

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 06/04/2015 - 22:20
I miss Gary "Hitchen" I think it was, stunning still life compositions that I don't think have been equalled.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

redbusa99

Link Posted 07/04/2015 - 01:06
SteveEveritt wrote:
I miss Gary "Hitchen" I think it was, stunning still life compositions that I don't think have been equalled.

i had forgotten him , those were amazing shots that he used to set up and shoot

i think ,Nigel, that every decision we make with the camera is a component of our style whether it be technical or artistic .
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 07/04/2015 - 01:11
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.