Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Too good to be true?

DaveN
Posted 08/10/2011 - 00:56 Link
I have just bought a second K5.

It was listed for £616.97 from Avides on Amazon. They only had 1 remaining. I was wondering wether this was a return or an older batch. Anyway I have sent a email to them to confirm that it is not a return or an earlier batch that has the sensor stain.

What do you guys think? Have I been stupid?
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax
matwhittington
Posted 08/10/2011 - 07:29 Link
I saw that deal myself and was VERY sorely tempted... although i don't have the cash just now. I must confess at that price I wondered if it was 'too good to be true'. If all is well though (and there's no reason to think not), you will have got a real bargain. If there is any problem then I have no idea what Avides customer service is like - but who knows?
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Hardgravity
Posted 08/10/2011 - 08:46 Link
As long as it's 'new' and UK stock then you should be OK.

Grey imports on the other hand, Pentax UK won't cover under warranty.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
ambient housewife
Posted 08/10/2011 - 09:18 Link
My first one came from them via amazon when they were selling them for £770. If yours turns up in a tatty box with serial 3839520 you will know it is a return, from me In my experience, if there are any problems Avides will sort it out, but you might need to contact them using the details on the shipping papers, not via amazon.

I spoke to Pentax about the warranty (UK number from the website but sounded like it was in France) and they said they would honour repairs for EU stock, but only if the warranty card was completed by the seller. When asked about dealer stamps etc he seemed to indicate they would accept a date and any scrawl on the card, so UK warranty repair might be possible. Failing that, Germany is not actually much more for postage.

I decided to return mine and they provided a prepaid post label and refunded the full price with reasonable speed. As a company I would probably buy from them again, but maybe not a K5.
Edited by ambient housewife: 08/10/2011 - 09:21
lemmy
Posted 09/10/2011 - 23:54 Link
Under EU rules they have to honour warranty within the community and you do not have to fill in anything to activate that warranty, it comes with the buying of it.

Speaking as someone who bought a K5 with the sensor problem and was fobbed off until I threatened small claims court action, I will not be buying further Pentax product, happy as I am with the K5.

Once bitten twice shy in my case, I am afraid.
mera
Posted 10/10/2011 - 01:10 Link
It is my understanding that your consumer rights regarding warranties relate to yourself and the seller, not the manufacturer. So in this case your EU rights apply to what Avides' responsibilities are. If Pentax offers a warranty then that is something additional to your consumer rights.

A couple of links I found interesting when reading up on this:

link
link

However the above is just my understanding from reading various conflicting statements on the Internet, I am no lawyer.
greynolds999
Posted 10/10/2011 - 08:03 Link
Amazon are very good at sorting out disputes.

Whenever I have had a marketplace problem they have always been sorted out. I have been using them for nearly 15 years and have never had a problem which was not resolved 100% to my satisfaction, including Marketplace purchases.
DaveN
Posted 10/10/2011 - 17:10 Link
They have responded to confirm it is a new product, not a return.

It's on it's way from Germany
DaveN
Posted 12/10/2011 - 12:10 Link
Happy to report that I received my camera from Avides. It looks new and had a UK plug bundled in the package. Manufacture date May 2011. Shutter count was 2 (Maybe Pentax are checking the cameras before they leave the factory). And finally a camera which came with an up to date firmware!
Mike-P
Posted 12/10/2011 - 12:32 Link
Bargain then.
ChrisA
Posted 12/10/2011 - 12:46 Link
DaveN wrote:
Shutter count was 2 (Maybe Pentax are checking the cameras before they leave the factory).

'Checking', like 'clocking', you mean?

It's hardly second hand with a shutter count of 2, otherwise
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
davex
Posted 12/10/2011 - 14:16 Link
Quote:
£616.97 from Avides

Clearly a brilliant price, but TBH I would rather spend the extra £150 for the 2 year TRANSFERABLE (for PU forum members) warranty that I got from srs, suspect that in the unlikely event I have to sell it that in itself would attract a premium.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
DaveN
Posted 12/10/2011 - 14:28 Link
I bought the square trade warranty from Amazon.
My other K5 was from SRS
BTW it is being paired with a 18-135 WR for the sheer convenience it offers
Edited by DaveN: 12/10/2011 - 14:29
Mike-P
Posted 12/10/2011 - 14:56 Link
davex wrote:
Clearly a brilliant price, but TBH I would rather spend the extra £150 for the 2 year TRANSFERABLE (for PU forum members) warranty that I got from srs, suspect that in the unlikely event I have to sell it that in itself would attract a premium.

I doubt it would attract a £150 premium though.
davex
Posted 12/10/2011 - 17:17 Link
Quote:
I doubt it would attract a £150 premium though.

Probably not, but nice to have.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.