Today's try for a Kingfisher
Posted 21/12/2013 - 08:07
Link
Barrie, every time I see a Kingfisher I am without a camera, every time I take a camera I don't see any.
I have not been out with the K3 looking for kingfishers yet, maybe I will be lucky.
Some great images, the Sigma 150-500 looks like a good lens choice? I know nothing about birding or photographing them, but i have wanted to capture a Kingfisher for the last two years.
Fletcher8
I have not been out with the K3 looking for kingfishers yet, maybe I will be lucky.
Some great images, the Sigma 150-500 looks like a good lens choice? I know nothing about birding or photographing them, but i have wanted to capture a Kingfisher for the last two years.
Fletcher8
Fletcher8.
Posted 21/12/2013 - 08:42
Link
hi barrie
I have used the 150 500 for over three years now and I agree its a lens that doesnt get the credit it deserves.
Just a few wee observations. Have you used high Iso or wide open aperature with some luminance added or something? I try my best to avoid that when shooting birds because all the textures are lost.
Here are the settings that have yielded the best results for me
If the bird is inside of 20-30 feet (not often!) shoot away wide open
250-300 F7.1
300-400 F8/F9
500mm F10
The 150 500 is a bit of a misnomer because its not actually 500mm - more like 450mm
If the subject is close like the garden table friends shoot away wide open (150-200)
here is a swallow shot at 200mm wide open... Not much wrong with it in my opinion.

If i can help anymore just give us a pm
I have used the 150 500 for over three years now and I agree its a lens that doesnt get the credit it deserves.
Just a few wee observations. Have you used high Iso or wide open aperature with some luminance added or something? I try my best to avoid that when shooting birds because all the textures are lost.
Here are the settings that have yielded the best results for me
If the bird is inside of 20-30 feet (not often!) shoot away wide open
250-300 F7.1
300-400 F8/F9
500mm F10
The 150 500 is a bit of a misnomer because its not actually 500mm - more like 450mm
If the subject is close like the garden table friends shoot away wide open (150-200)
here is a swallow shot at 200mm wide open... Not much wrong with it in my opinion.

If i can help anymore just give us a pm
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Posted 21/12/2013 - 14:55
Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Just a few wee observations. Have you used high Iso or wide open aperature with some luminance added or something? I try my best to avoid that when shooting birds because all the textures are lost.
Thanks I'll try as you suggest.Just a few wee observations. Have you used high Iso or wide open aperature with some luminance added or something? I try my best to avoid that when shooting birds because all the textures are lost.
From the Exif data
Robin 500mm F6.3 1/60 ISO800
Bullfinch 500mm F6.3 1/100 ISO800
Greenfinch 500mm F8 1/60 ISO800
Kingfisher 500mm F8 1/80 ISO800
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 21/12/2013 - 16:02
Link
Hi barrie
Yea its as I thought.
Unfortunately the lens doesnt deliver great results at the top end of the spectrum - 500mm
I've attached a photo of a buzzard I took at 440mm at F9. I very rarely use 500mm on my lens opting to bring it back a wee bit.
Shoot at that length at F8 and you'll get the results you want.
QC

Yea its as I thought.
Unfortunately the lens doesnt deliver great results at the top end of the spectrum - 500mm
I've attached a photo of a buzzard I took at 440mm at F9. I very rarely use 500mm on my lens opting to bring it back a wee bit.
Shoot at that length at F8 and you'll get the results you want.
QC

bforbes wrote:
From the Exif data
Robin 500mm F6.3 1/60 ISO800
Bullfinch 500mm F6.3 1/100 ISO800
Greenfinch 500mm F8 1/60 ISO800
Kingfisher 500mm F8 1/80 ISO800
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Just a few wee observations. Have you used high Iso or wide open aperature with some luminance added or something? I try my best to avoid that when shooting birds because all the textures are lost.
Thanks I'll try as you suggest.Just a few wee observations. Have you used high Iso or wide open aperature with some luminance added or something? I try my best to avoid that when shooting birds because all the textures are lost.
From the Exif data
Robin 500mm F6.3 1/60 ISO800
Bullfinch 500mm F6.3 1/100 ISO800
Greenfinch 500mm F8 1/60 ISO800
Kingfisher 500mm F8 1/80 ISO800
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Posted 21/12/2013 - 21:50
Link
For what its worth Barrie, I normally just pull mine back in a touch. Normally ends up around 450mm. Also try to stop down, even if its just to f7.1.
Having said that there a couple of does in my portfolio shot at 500mm f6.3. And you can pick out every detail on a 16x12 print.
I think the big issue is we use it wide open when the light is poor. Its the light that's the problem.
Your Bully is spot on, while the greenfinch loses detail because it moved and your were trying to keep the ISO low by using a slow shutter speed
Good luck with the Kingy
Having said that there a couple of does in my portfolio shot at 500mm f6.3. And you can pick out every detail on a 16x12 print.
I think the big issue is we use it wide open when the light is poor. Its the light that's the problem.
Your Bully is spot on, while the greenfinch loses detail because it moved and your were trying to keep the ISO low by using a slow shutter speed
Good luck with the Kingy
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6913 posts
17 years
Co. Durham UK
C&C please.
I'm afraid the Kingfisher was being elusive today
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/