Today's Olympics Cycle Race
Posted 29/07/2012 - 01:19
Link
Particularly on the shots almost facing the cyclists the crowd and barrier look more in focus that the subjects.
but they all look soft too.
For cyclists I would have chosen a wider aperture and faster shutter speed, and prefocussed on the spot where the subjects are when you fire the shutter off.
For the side on shots I'd be tempted to set a fairly low shutter speed 1/50th maybe, and pan with the cyclists to get some motion blur
but they all look soft too.
For cyclists I would have chosen a wider aperture and faster shutter speed, and prefocussed on the spot where the subjects are when you fire the shutter off.
For the side on shots I'd be tempted to set a fairly low shutter speed 1/50th maybe, and pan with the cyclists to get some motion blur
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 29/07/2012 - 19:32
Link
As smeggy says re softness and use of shutternspeed.
I would have also taken advantage of the k-r's high fops to get better framing. Image four for example a split second later would have had a more complete image with the cyclists filling the frame.
5 could have done with better composition, I think e rule of thirds would have helped enormously and the cropped far wheel doesn't help, the last two do nothing for me sorry
I would have also taken advantage of the k-r's high fops to get better framing. Image four for example a split second later would have had a more complete image with the cyclists filling the frame.
5 could have done with better composition, I think e rule of thirds would have helped enormously and the cropped far wheel doesn't help, the last two do nothing for me sorry
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 29/07/2012 - 20:10
Link
What is moving object mode? I've not heard of it.
Posted 29/07/2012 - 22:56
Link
Shooting at (stretched) arm's length hasn't really worked as the crowd behind are fine but not the subjects! For a fast moving subject like this one needs to pan the camera with the subject so the cyclists are sharp and the crowds are in a 'motion blur.' This enhances the impression of speed, particularly if a relatively slow shutter speed is used.
John
John
John K
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1232 posts
14 years
Glasgow
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6510.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6679.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6680.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6681.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6809.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6810.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/steven9761/London%20Olympics%202012/IMGP6811.jpg[/IMG]