Today In The Peaks

davidstorm
Posted 09/02/2014 - 23:11 Link
A few shots from today's outing to the Peak District, kindly organised by AndrewA.

On Bamford Edge - K3, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24

Comment Image



Stark - K-5iis, DA L 55-300

Comment Image



Indecision! - K-5iis, DA L 55-300

Comment Image



Rushing & Still - K-5iis, DA L 55-300

Comment Image


Comments and constructive criticism are welcomed as always.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Posted 10/02/2014 - 08:49 Link
No1 for me, I like the composition leading the eye to the hills in the distance.
Russ
Posted 10/02/2014 - 09:30 Link
All great photos David. I like No1 too but i do like the photo of the photographers at work. And that river looks a bit rapid.
carmagw
Posted 10/02/2014 - 11:06 Link
Nice shots David.

Third one for me, or is it ?

Regards

George
gtis
Posted 10/02/2014 - 19:36 Link
hi
just the one from me,all the rest are rubbish
a complete waste of time

Comment Image
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter





Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Stridey
Posted 10/02/2014 - 19:42 Link
No. 1 is my favourite David. The lead-in line and the colours are superb. Not sure about no.2 - the foreground would benefit from a focus point perhaps ? Nos. 3 and 4 are both good - who would have guessed that no.4 was taken with the 55-300 ?!

Looks like you had a great day out.

Best regards
Nigel
mille19
Posted 10/02/2014 - 19:45 Link
No.1 for me too, hope you had your wellies on!
McGregNi
Posted 10/02/2014 - 20:30 Link
No 1 has great varying light contours across the undulations of the terrain which really makes it. It needs a lower viewpoint I feel, but no doubt there was a good reason for taking from that specific position. The blending into the sky along the right side horizon looks a bit iffy?

I too like the 'Men at Work' shot, especially with the Pentax gear in use there! The close river detail David has excellent clarity and detail on the moss covered rocks which makes you want to reach out and touch them

gtis, I'm sure there was something positive gained from the shoot There's good detail on the rocks and the water movement is great. There may be a bit too much magenta cast in your shot?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 10/02/2014 - 20:42 Link
no 1 all the way dave
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
davidstorm
Posted 10/02/2014 - 22:48 Link
Thanks for the observations everyone, much appreciated as always.
McGregNi wrote:
No 1 has great varying light contours across the undulations of the terrain which really makes it. It needs a lower viewpoint I feel, but no doubt there was a good reason for taking from that specific position. The blending into the sky along the right side horizon looks a bit iffy?
I did consider lowering the tripod for this shot and in fact had it on Live View with the tripod right down, but it did not work as there was no view of the distant hills with the tripod down low. Not sure about the comment on the sky? The sky is original, it hasn't been replaced or blended in any way. I suspect Nigel is referring to the light strip just above the horizon, if so this is just the back edge of the dark shower clouds.

I agree with Nigel's sentiments about Neil's (gtis) day, we all go through disappointing shoots but often when we look back at the images later we find that some of them are pretty good!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
McGregNi
Posted 10/02/2014 - 23:12 Link
David, the right side horizon looks like a bit of poor blending - I'd suggest a bit of burn tool along the edge there, just to smooth the transition. The left horizon appears much more natural.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
davidstorm
Posted 10/02/2014 - 23:31 Link
Thanks again Nigel, I do see what you mean, but as this is how the clouds were at the time I prefer to leave them as is. There was a bright edge at the back of the clouds, just above the right horizon that was not replicated on the left. I don't mind if it looks like poor blending on this occasion! I can say that the image is a touch warmer than it was in real life, I prefer this particular image 'warm' for some reason.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
McGregNi
Posted 11/02/2014 - 09:25 Link
Now this is what I find curious ... ( and this is not anymore about your photo David, it is absolutely your right to present it as you prefer) ... the difference between what the photographer remembers and wants to display as 'reality', and what in fact comes across in the photo to others, who can only see the photo itself.

I'd say that more importance should be placed on what the photo actually contains and what comes across to the viewer ... and less importance on reproducing the exact details of the scene as remembered by the photographer, at least for most genres - I mean, we're not producing a Dulux colour chart, or a product catalogue here are we?

In this context - (and again, I'm not questioning your choice here specifically, its just an example for the point) then, if the right horizon presents as sloppy editing, is it not better to 'correct' for that and present the photo as 'unrealistic', in the interests of overall asthetic quality and appeal?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 11/02/2014 - 09:26
Gajan
Posted 11/02/2014 - 11:36 Link
No 1 for me as well!
Best Regards,

Gajan

Flickr : link

Pentax K-1, D-FA 28-105mm, FA 77mm, D FA 100mm Macro
Pentax K-5, 18-135 mm, 55-300mm
Pentax K100D Super, 18-55mm
LLPopo
Posted 11/02/2014 - 12:48 Link
Wow, first image!
Tones, different aesthetics, so many different parts to the image, but all just as interesting. Great shot

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo