Sry

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 16:13
Love that first image, LennyB.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 16:38
I really like these! Prefer the opening image without that blue band at the top
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

psburnley

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 16:46
First image is excellent. Agree (probably) better without blue band at the top.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 16:57
Thanks for the comments Guys - I have played with that first image today and produced a number of different versions, I'd come to the conclusion that the window frame didn't add anything either so this was my alternative result...

There was also this shot that didn't really work until I applied some more extreme processing (it's probably a bit over-done now)....

LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 17:52
Totally different shot without the window frame (which I rather like in the first version). But especially, the crop in 2 is the important element to my eyes - it indeed shifts the whole feel and interest, and we take a deep dive into the flowers and textures themselves. Lovely.
(And the last image's processing is quite fine by me).
Last Edited by Sry on 03/01/2021 - 17:53

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/01/2021 - 18:32
Agree with Sry

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 00:17
Surprising what a slightly different composition can do. The first was "H'mm, what's that about?" and the second, "Hey that's interesting!" The tree on the hillside is quite spectacular too.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 18:10
Hello John.

I do prefer the second version of the first picture: it presents the subject perfectly. Mind you, I didn't find the frame distracting in the first version until it was removed in the second

More interestingly (for me) is the second version of the third picture. Is the (not quite a) Sun dog directly above the peak of the hill for real or is it an artifact of the processing?

We do sometimes see these effects in the sky, especially during cold weather, but it doesn't appear to be in the first version and I cannot decide whether the processing has revealed or caused the effect.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 18:49
Thanks again for the comments Serge, Steve, David and Nigel - the original edit of the Poppy Window looked good to me and I quite liked the blue painted frame adding a bit of interest, but when I started re-cropping it stood out as a different picture, and if you view it larger the drip of blue paint on the window becomes visible and adds that little extra interest again.

Hello Nigel - actually the image in the second part of my post isn't the same image as in the first part (which may explain the lack of the Sun dog) - it's taken a few seconds later with a slightly different view, here's the original version:

It is visible in this version - initially I suspected it was an internal reflection due to shooting directly into the Sun and if you look closely you can see a faint circle in the prism of colour - but now I'm not sure, it does seem to fit the characteristics of a Sun dog - and I'm fairly certain it's not the processing that's introduced it.

I wasn't even aware of this phenomenon until you mentioned it - interesting subject
LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 19:28
LennyBloke wrote:
the drip of blue paint on the window

Yes, forgot to mention that in my post - a great punctum to the image.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 04/01/2021 - 22:11
Now you've seen one John, you'll keep on seeing them.

Colder weather with a bright sun shining through thin, high-level cloud is often a good bet. Also, if you see one on one side of the sun, check for one on the other side at the same distance from the sun - they often occur in pairs.

Whilst driving I've nearly driven into a field when checking for Sun dogs

Closing my eyes a little makes the third picture appear to be of a volcano gently releasing steam and light smoke from the vent. Had any earth tremors recently
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Last Edited by LongTimeLurker on 04/01/2021 - 22:12

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 06/01/2021 - 16:15
That poppy is now

A sun dog? I need to Google this !
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

jvs

Link Posted 06/01/2021 - 18:02
I prefer the cropped poppy photo, too. For me, the crop moves it from very good to top notch!

Really like the second one, too - those dashes of light on the ground make all the difference.

The third one is similar to some I've taken myself recently - I would be tempted to clone some of the cloud to reduce the brightness of the sun a touch to make it less of a distraction.

But all good, nonetheless!
John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.