Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

The Watch House

malross73
Posted 18/11/2014 - 18:20 Link
Hi everyone this is a pretty popular shot of the watch house at seaton sluice in northumberland, i have tried it a couple of times but never been happy with the results, got this one today using my K30 18-55mm kit lens and a b+w 10 stop filter its a 67 second exposure edited in LR and silver efex pro.

Comment Image
Malcolm
Website link
Blythman
Posted 18/11/2014 - 18:26 Link
Very nicely exposed and processed Mal, and nice bit of cloud movement. My only criticism would be the clutter around the bench on the right. Pity you couldn't separate the bench from the background
Alan

PPG
Flickr
davidstorm
Posted 18/11/2014 - 22:05 Link
A lovely shot, crisp and clear with just the right length of exposure. It is a slight shame about the positioning of the bench, but even so it's a great image/

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
swarf
Posted 18/11/2014 - 22:39 Link
I agree about the bench, but the image has got such potential is it worth reworking it to take the bench out?

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
davidtrout
Posted 19/11/2014 - 09:12 Link
Its a superb mono, the sky is beautiful and the overall tones have real quality. I agree about the bench; is it worth going back and taking the picture from a slightly different position? I realise that whenever you go back to a location lighting conditions and all sorts of other things have probably changed.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
malross73
Posted 19/11/2014 - 09:47 Link
Thanks for the comments gents i see what you all mean about the bench and background, i like the bench being there but not the clutter behind it. Dont think my cloning skills are up to getting rid of all that maybe another trip up there with the watch house framed more to the right therefore cutting out the Bench and getting those lovely clouds back and great exposure and my tripod not being blown over etc etc!! you've got to love this hobby
Malcolm
Website link
bforbes
Posted 19/11/2014 - 09:55 Link
It is a super picture. I'm surprised with a 67" exposure how much crisp detail you have in the grasses. Must have been very calm for Seaton Sluice

Would you have enough room to crop off the bench, without changing the composition too much?
malross73
Posted 19/11/2014 - 10:12 Link
Thanks Barrie it was pretty calm compared to the last couple of times ive been up there, I think i tried a crop last night and it seemed a bit tight for me but i will have another look at it tonight.
Malcolm
Website link
Teaka53
Posted 19/11/2014 - 12:37 Link
Could someone explain to a novice like me why the bench should be removed, I quite like it (but appreciate that I have a lot to learn about composition and the like), but not whatever it is behind it. If it was mine I would be cloning out the cable that runs above the bench
Malc
bforbes
Posted 19/11/2014 - 13:18 Link
If you look back at the first comment by Blythman, it's not only about the bench but that group of things that just break the clean line of the horizon
Teaka53
Posted 20/11/2014 - 12:38 Link
Thanks Barrie
Malc

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.