The tired, hackneyed and cliched

gartmore

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 11:03
I was going to write something along these lines myself but worried that by doiing so I might be creating a cliche myself. How to avoid photographic cliches
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 26/08/2012 - 11:03

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 11:35
Interesting article. It never hurts to be reminded to create our own photographic vision, not recreate someone else's. Although emulation of someone else's style (subconsciously or deliberately) is perhaps a useful phase in learning about photography.

You reminded me of this article on street photography cliches - http://shutterfinger.typepad.com/shutterfinger/2012/06/top-10-street-photography...

Producing a cliched work is less satisfying than something unique, but if you pull it off really well, it is still rewarding.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Blythman

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 11:39
Still like some hackneyed cliche shots I took near Keswick last year

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/cliche-shots-from-keswick-30146
Alan

PPG
Flickr

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 12:10
Thank you for providing a link to some images of the most photographed (and painted) landscapes in Britain, if not the world.

Whilst the pictures are technically competent, and the compositions perfectly acceptable, it is the choice of subject matter and the bright skies that make these hackneyed.

We have all seen so many Lake District paintings and photos (and post-cards) that it takes really exceptional work to make one sit up and say Wow!

Puma often manages to avoid cliche by choosing days when the weather ISN'T perfect, and also by concentrating on detail. Bwlchmawr often does the same in his pictures.

Big landscape shots just aren't arresting when you have seen variations of the same thing a thousand times before.

None of which is to say that these are bad. They're good. But they are not new.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Blythman

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 12:29
George Lazarette wrote:
Thank you for providing a link to some images of the most photographed (and painted) landscapes in Britain, if not the world.

Whilst the pictures are technically competent, and the compositions perfectly acceptable, it is the choice of subject matter and the bright skies that make these hackneyed.

We have all seen so many Lake District paintings and photos (and post-cards) that it takes really exceptional work to make one sit up and say Wow!

Puma often manages to avoid cliche by choosing days when the weather ISN'T perfect, and also by concentrating on detail. Bwlchmawr often does the same in his pictures.

Big landscape shots just aren't arresting when you have seen variations of the same thing a thousand times before.

None of which is to say that these are bad. They're good. But they are not new.

G

Of course they aren't new George (though is anything). I never claimed they were new as was clear in the title. But I'd sooner have my copy of the cliche than someone elses. I was also quite pleased that I had some nice weather when I visited. The only occasion I did visit last year, and the only morning I was able to get out by myself.

That you say they were technically competent, perfectly acceptable, and even good is very kind of you Did I even think to enter these into competitions at the local camera club. Well no. Not at all.

But this is a photography forum. I think those that either don't post photos, or don't offer constructive criticism to those that do are really wasting their time on such a forum. Unless of course they are just collectors of bodies and glass.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 26/08/2012 - 12:33

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 12:48
Look we all produce cliched shots. Ken is no exception as I'm sure he would be the first to admit. This doesn't always mean they aren't good shots; they are shots we take on the way to getting that unique and special image - the thing which we are chasing all the time when we are taking pictures!

There are so many images being created every day, that even the self-consciously non-cliche shots are sort of cliched - eschewing the scenic view in favour of the abstract detail or the unlikely juxtaposition of elements are becoming cliche of its own...

Still, we go on, and we keep trying, and sharing the shots we take along the way!

Shall we make this thread more interesting, and post what we thing are our most, and our least, cliched shots, and why? Who is feeling brave!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 26/08/2012 - 12:54

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 13:37
Blythman wrote:

I think those that either don't post photos, or don't offer constructive criticism to those that do are really wasting their time on such a forum.

Quite so. Which is why I said this: "Puma often manages to avoid cliche by choosing days when the weather ISN'T perfect, and also by concentrating on detail. Bwlchmawr often does the same in his pictures."

I do post pictures occasionally. By all means have a look at how I do cliche in my gallery!

G

Blythman

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 13:48
George Lazarette wrote:
By all means have a look at how I do cliche in my gallery!

G

I did
Alan

PPG
Flickr

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 13:49
Pentaxophile wrote:
Look we all produce cliched shots. Ken is no exception as I'm sure he would be the first to admit. This doesn't always mean they aren't good shots; they are shots we take on the way to getting that unique and special image - the thing which we are chasing all the time when we are taking pictures!

There are so many images being created every day, that even the self-consciously non-cliche shots are sort of cliched - eschewing the scenic view in favour of the abstract detail or the unlikely juxtaposition of elements are becoming cliche of its own...

Still, we go on, and we keep trying, and sharing the shots we take along the way!

Shall we make this thread more interesting, and post what we thing are our most, and our least, cliched shots, and why? Who is feeling brave!

I agree with all you say. However, I can't begin to choose my most clicheed shot! And I don't have any other sort.

G

gartmore

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 14:27
Pentaxophile wrote:

I confess to 2,3, 4 & 5 on your list of top 10 street photography cliches!

My greatest bugbear is photographs which have nothing to say.

The truth is that cliches only became so because they were good ideas in the first place
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 26/08/2012 - 14:30

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 14:48
Blythman wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
By all means have a look at how I do cliche in my gallery!

G

I did

Really? You're meant to leave a comment. For instance: "Superb", "Brill", "Fantastic", "Great stuff".

Anything but the truth, in fact. That's how it works in the gallery.

Cheers

G:

gartmore

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 14:57
In future I think I might just comment, 'All the superlatives!'
Ken

Smeggypants

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 17:42
"Avoid" is such a negative suggestion. I wouldn't want to avoid taking a photo I think looks cool just because a million other people have taken the same thing?

I'm just being myself if that means I'm taking a lot of pics similar to other people then that's fine. If I take a lot of pics that other people don't take then that's fine too.

I take pics for my own satisfaction first and then if other people like them that's a bonus.

I've purposely not looked at the list of cliches becuase I don't want yet another subconscious negative list of rules spoiling my photography.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

thoramay

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 18:06
As my father taught me...there is something beautiful and interesting in everything you see...you just have to look for it.

That is how I view other people's pictures..but I don't need to tell them what and how I saw it.

There is nothing more destructive to my creativity and imagination than to hear a club judge completely miss the point of my picture.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 20:15
thoramay wrote:
As my father taught me...there is something beautiful and interesting in everything you see...you just have to look for it.

That is how I view other people's pictures..but I don't need to tell them what and how I saw it.

There is nothing more destructive to my creativity and imagination than to hear a club judge completely miss the point of my picture.

That's why I'd never enter a photo into a competition. All it means is the entries are being rated on the subjective opinion of one person ( or a panel ) who are no more qualified to do so than anyone else.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.