The simplest subjects.......

LennyBloke

Link Posted 14/04/2020 - 21:40
...photographed many times but when the lighting is just right.....

The articulated pull-out screen allows the low angle, use of maximum aperture gives the smooth rounded bokeh highlights, and the genius of Pentax lens designers produces one of the best (if not the best) Macro lenses around - the Pentax A* 200mm f4.0 Macro
LennyBloke

RobL

Link Posted 14/04/2020 - 21:47
What an excellent shot! Another early riser.

pschlute

Link Posted 14/04/2020 - 21:52
Crackers..... the pictures, not you John
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/04/2020 - 09:10
A snail's view of early morning - superb!

Steve

ronniemac

Link Posted 15/04/2020 - 11:00
Beautiful photographs, John.

Thank you for posting these!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/04/2020 - 12:34
Thanks for the comments - I've genuinely learnt a lot and changed my ways since I got a K1 - I was never a fan of Live View and thought the articulating lift out screen was a gimmick, but I wouldn't have been capable of producing shots like these without those features. Additionally Live View has given me more confidence in using maximum aperture on many more lenses - previously I would err on the side of caution and stop down a bit to give that little extra depth of field to cover my focus mistakes, but being able to see the focus plane highlighted in white has helped so much.

I'm sure I'm what may would class as a Pentax "fanboy" (well perhaps "fanoldie" might be a more accurate term) but I genuinely believe that the designers evolve the features of the bodies with real photography in mind
LennyBloke

Benz3ne

Link Posted 16/04/2020 - 13:18
LennyBloke wrote:
Thanks for the comments - I've genuinely learnt a lot and changed my ways since I got a K1 - I was never a fan of Live View and thought the articulating lift out screen was a gimmick, but I wouldn't have been capable of producing shots like these without those features. Additionally Live View has given me more confidence in using maximum aperture on many more lenses - previously I would err on the side of caution and stop down a bit to give that little extra depth of field to cover my focus mistakes, but being able to see the focus plane highlighted in white has helped so much.

I'm sure I'm what may would class as a Pentax "fanboy" (well perhaps "fanoldie" might be a more accurate term) but I genuinely believe that the designers evolve the features of the bodies with real photography in mind

Well put - it's interesting though how so many are not a fan of EVF and mirrorless, or actively dismiss it but as you (and I) have found, live view has many merits in its arsenal. So I pose to you, what if looking through the viewfinder you had focus peaking too? Would that allow you to use maximum aperture for things like portraits etc, especially with fast, long, manual lenses?

It makes me wonder why Live-View is so praised and an EVF is, well, not?

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/04/2020 - 14:46
Benz3ne wrote:
...Well put - it's interesting though how so many are not a fan of EVF and mirrorless, or actively dismiss it but as you (and I) have found, live view has many merits in its arsenal. So I pose to you, what if looking through the viewfinder you had focus peaking too? Would that allow you to use maximum aperture for things like portraits etc, especially with fast, long, manual lenses?

It makes me wonder why Live-View is so praised and an EVF is, well, not?

Live-View is great for certain purposes - mainly in conjunction with focus peaking - but I would find it difficult to use all the time. This is probably partially down to my eyesight - glasses for distance, glasses for reading, astigmatism, etc - it just doesn't "feel" comfortable enough as a replacement viewing method full time. It does let me see "the whole picture" though - what I mean by that is that when I look through the viewfinder I am generally moving my eye around searching for the point(s) of interest/focus, if I then switch to Live-View the image becomes more like the finished photo (sort of) - so although I'm not a fan I appreciate (and use) its strengths.

As for EVF - well for me it is one of those "very nearly but not quite" technologies, and one day I'm sure it will be excellent, but for now I find it a little eye-straining and less natural (again probably partially down to my eyesight) - give me a good optical viewfinder any day (preferably one from a 645N ).

As for focus peaking through an optical viewfinder - well bring it on
LennyBloke

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/04/2020 - 16:38
Focus peaking through the viewfinder would be a stunner. It's the main reason I use Live View when chasing my kids around with manual lenses.

DOIK

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 17:42
HarisF1 wrote:
Focus peaking through the viewfinder would be a stunner.

Like the Sony A7

John

bforbes

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 18:38
DOIK wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:
Focus peaking through the viewfinder would be a stunner.

Like the Sony A7

John

Ö and Fuji
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Benz3ne

Link Posted 18/04/2020 - 08:32
DOIK wrote:

Like the Sony A7

John

Which, in all honesty, Iím sort of tempted by.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.