The Lakes at the weekend
Posted 18/06/2010 - 01:57
Link
I'm with Ems82 here; sorry mikew, IMO if you offer such negative feedback it would be useful to back this up with some helpful advice, which is the purpose of this forum.
To this extent, RR, take a bow in showing how it should be done
What is the definition of 'lavish praise'; if somebody likes a picture, comments as such, and another hates it, is the picture good or bad?
We all have different tastes.
Again IMO a new thread could be opened elsewhere on this forum, re: mikew's opinion on lavishing praise on photos. Here all could express their opinions without seeming to be picking on a certain image(s) (which I don't think was the case originally here).
Adrian
To this extent, RR, take a bow in showing how it should be done
What is the definition of 'lavish praise'; if somebody likes a picture, comments as such, and another hates it, is the picture good or bad?
We all have different tastes.
Again IMO a new thread could be opened elsewhere on this forum, re: mikew's opinion on lavishing praise on photos. Here all could express their opinions without seeming to be picking on a certain image(s) (which I don't think was the case originally here).
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Posted 18/06/2010 - 02:17
Link
bychan wrote:
I'm with Ems82 here; sorry mikew, IMO if you offer such negative feedback it would be useful to back this up with some helpful advice, which is the purpose of this forum.
To this extent, RR, take a bow in showing how it should be done
What is the definition of 'lavish praise'; if somebody likes a picture, comments as such, and another hates it, is the picture good or bad?
We all have different tastes.
Again IMO a new thread could be opened elsewhere on this forum, re: mikew's opinion on lavishing praise on photos. Here all could express their opinions without seeming to be picking on a certain image(s) (which I don't think was the case originally here).
Adrian
If people hadn't over-praised Emma's image, Mike's post would not have been necessary.I'm with Ems82 here; sorry mikew, IMO if you offer such negative feedback it would be useful to back this up with some helpful advice, which is the purpose of this forum.
To this extent, RR, take a bow in showing how it should be done
What is the definition of 'lavish praise'; if somebody likes a picture, comments as such, and another hates it, is the picture good or bad?
We all have different tastes.
Again IMO a new thread could be opened elsewhere on this forum, re: mikew's opinion on lavishing praise on photos. Here all could express their opinions without seeming to be picking on a certain image(s) (which I don't think was the case originally here).
Adrian
And it WAS necessary.
If we don't stop this ludicrous approach to critique, this forum will lose its value as a way of helping people to improve.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 18/06/2010 - 06:20
Link
Woke up this morning to see this had moved on.
I felt my own post was justified because of how Ems interpreted Mike's comments:
a. suggesting the comments were not constructive (see above);
b. that they were rude (blunt perhaps, but not rude IMO, and qualified by the following
c. apparently making the inference that there is no space for critical commentary here.
Pentaxophile wrote:
Often i'll see comments I disagree with, but it's not fair to hijack someone's c&c thread to get up on your personal hobby horse re another member or the site in general.
Address the photo!
PP, While I understand where you're coming from about hijacking people's threads, I do feel both Mike's and my contributions here were quite justified (though I'm not sure whose you are referring to in your post). Whether or not this is the right place to address the trend towards uncritical (and IMO quite unhelpful) praise on the forum might be debatable. However, Mike did offer a critique of aspects of Ems photo:Dr. Mhuni wrote:
I also support Mike in both his analysis of the photo, comparisons to AA, and the utility of uncritical commentary. In my view his remarks are highly constructive.
In posting images on public forums shouldn't we be prepared to take the rough with the smooth and, invariably, learn more from the former?
I agree, but shouldn't we refrain from commenting on other people's comments - or, at least, do so very diplomatically? I also support Mike in both his analysis of the photo, comparisons to AA, and the utility of uncritical commentary. In my view his remarks are highly constructive.
In posting images on public forums shouldn't we be prepared to take the rough with the smooth and, invariably, learn more from the former?
Often i'll see comments I disagree with, but it's not fair to hijack someone's c&c thread to get up on your personal hobby horse re another member or the site in general.
Address the photo!
Quote:
the edge of the hill is too pronounced, one cloud is burnt out, the hill side is rather dark to no real purpose, the composition has already been questioned. Nor would AA be guilty of using the wrong film (ISO 1600).
This seems to me to be entirely constructive - it might be critical, but if I posted an image that had these faults (which it does, leaving aside the composition which I guess is a more subjective matter) I'd be grateful to anyone who pointed that out. Yes, it has some positive aspects which Mike doesn't mention - however, I personally don't feel that anyone who points out basic technical issues such as these is duty bound to offer more positive commentary (they might not like the photo but their technical advice would still be sound, and useful). RR's done a magnificent appraisal of the photos merits and demerits, however, we can hardly expect all people to be so generous with their time.the edge of the hill is too pronounced, one cloud is burnt out, the hill side is rather dark to no real purpose, the composition has already been questioned. Nor would AA be guilty of using the wrong film (ISO 1600).
I felt my own post was justified because of how Ems interpreted Mike's comments:
a. suggesting the comments were not constructive (see above);
b. that they were rude (blunt perhaps, but not rude IMO, and qualified by the following
Quote:
All of course IMO only and no offence intended to anyone.
);All of course IMO only and no offence intended to anyone.
c. apparently making the inference that there is no space for critical commentary here.
Posted 18/06/2010 - 07:36
Link
Quote:
the edge of the hill is too pronounced, one cloud is burnt out, the hill side is rather dark to no real purpose, the composition has already been questioned. Nor would AA be guilty of using the wrong film (ISO 1600).
I dont feel this is constructive Mhuni as I said just negative comments.the edge of the hill is too pronounced, one cloud is burnt out, the hill side is rather dark to no real purpose, the composition has already been questioned. Nor would AA be guilty of using the wrong film (ISO 1600).
Seriously need to move on from this as said above feel free to debate in another thread but this is for c & c, and believe it or not I would like to improve off to IOW tommorow but the way I feel about all this do not really see the point in taking my camera.
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
Posted 18/06/2010 - 07:44
Link
Emma, take your camera and enjoy.
The point is to improve and you are improving. You probably won't make the ISO1600 mistake again. Cayman probably won't be so gushing in future. We all make mistakes.
The main reason we're here is we all use Pentax, not because we're friends, or good at composition , or technically excellent and not because we're tactful.
The point is to improve and you are improving. You probably won't make the ISO1600 mistake again. Cayman probably won't be so gushing in future. We all make mistakes.
The main reason we're here is we all use Pentax, not because we're friends, or good at composition , or technically excellent and not because we're tactful.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 18/06/2010 - 07:47
Link
Emma - you can't let one inept posting from me shatter your self confidence or your enthusiasm. Don't look at that phrase taken out of context take the post by Bob and use that as a springboard.
There's nothing I can say to repair the hurt I have inadvertently given so I'm not going to try.
Mike
PS I rather like Doug's closing words in his last sentence. If tact was a prerequisite I would be long gone.
There's nothing I can say to repair the hurt I have inadvertently given so I'm not going to try.
Mike
PS I rather like Doug's closing words in his last sentence. If tact was a prerequisite I would be long gone.
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 18/06/2010 - 08:00
Link
Hey Ems, take pics for YOU first and foremost.
Thereafter, use forum feedback in a way that you see fit.
Apply it in a way that suits you, to improve images in a way that fits in with your own vision of where you want your photography to go.
You might choose to keep some pics to yourself, and that's fine - but don't let comments keep you from taking them in the first place. They are all opinions, mine included - no more and no less.
I believe (FWIW) that your photography is sufficiently robust to take on board the sort of feedback that is available.
Thereafter, use forum feedback in a way that you see fit.
Apply it in a way that suits you, to improve images in a way that fits in with your own vision of where you want your photography to go.
You might choose to keep some pics to yourself, and that's fine - but don't let comments keep you from taking them in the first place. They are all opinions, mine included - no more and no less.
I believe (FWIW) that your photography is sufficiently robust to take on board the sort of feedback that is available.
Posted 18/06/2010 - 08:14
Link
This is the original shot no pp nothing How could I convert/improve the shot? Also how do people resize I think I may have done it wrong first time I tried resizing before uploading to photobucket?
[IMG]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss344/ems82_photos/20100612-IMGP7140-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss344/ems82_photos/20100612-IMGP7140-2.jpg[/IMG]
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
Posted 18/06/2010 - 08:37
Link
I always have my Photobucket settings selected for the 800 maximum size to comply with the Forum requirements and find that works well enough.
As to black and white conversion, you could try a number of variations and submit for comment, specifically just asking for critique on the b&w conversion.
For me, your original is way too contrasty, which is one of my own faults on occasions.
Please take your camera to the IOW an don't forget that it is the Round the Island Race on Saturday.
As to black and white conversion, you could try a number of variations and submit for comment, specifically just asking for critique on the b&w conversion.
For me, your original is way too contrasty, which is one of my own faults on occasions.
Please take your camera to the IOW an don't forget that it is the Round the Island Race on Saturday.
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 18/06/2010 - 08:47
Link
mikew wrote:
Emma - you can't let one inept posting from me shatter your self confidence or your enthusiasm. Don't look at that phrase taken out of context take the post by Bob and use that as a springboard.
There's nothing I can say to repair the hurt I have inadvertently given so I'm not going to try.
Mike
PS I rather like Doug's closing words in his last sentence. If tact was a prerequisite I would be long gone.
That's a most generous, thoughtful and kind thing to say Mike. I'm sure Emma will appreciate it. Emma - you can't let one inept posting from me shatter your self confidence or your enthusiasm. Don't look at that phrase taken out of context take the post by Bob and use that as a springboard.
There's nothing I can say to repair the hurt I have inadvertently given so I'm not going to try.
Mike
PS I rather like Doug's closing words in his last sentence. If tact was a prerequisite I would be long gone.
The last thing anyone wants here is to put-off budding photographers from taking pictures and offering them for public view on this site.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 18/06/2010 - 09:15
Link
Ems,
Not sure if you're using Photoshop or if you're already aware of this but there's a pretty handy "action" which gives several different mono conversions and takes some of the hard work out of the process...
http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/TLRB&WConversion.htm
Simon
Not sure if you're using Photoshop or if you're already aware of this but there's a pretty handy "action" which gives several different mono conversions and takes some of the hard work out of the process...
http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/TLRB&WConversion.htm
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 18/06/2010 - 09:21
Link
Just had another go at converting. Does the blue duotone work?
Simon I use lightroom 2, elements and corel does it only work with cs?
[IMG]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss344/ems82_photos/20100612-IMGP7140-3.jpg[/IMG]
Simon I use lightroom 2, elements and corel does it only work with cs?
[IMG]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss344/ems82_photos/20100612-IMGP7140-3.jpg[/IMG]
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
Posted 18/06/2010 - 10:03
Link
ems82 wrote:
Also how do people resize I think I may have done it wrong first time I tried resizing before uploading to photobucket?
My practice is to resize the image to 800 pixels on the longest edge, then do the sharpening as a last step before uploading to Photobucket. In that way I have full control, and no automatic resizing occurs.
Also how do people resize I think I may have done it wrong first time I tried resizing before uploading to photobucket?
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 18/06/2010 - 10:14 - Helpful Comment
Link
Emma, the original is very contrasty which has been amplified by your original conversion. Try shooting on standard jpeg settings (currently you have contrast & sharpness maxed out in your settings) - as you are not afraid of some post processing you can always add some contrast or sharpening to the final shot, but once you've lost tonality at the jpeg conversion stage, you will not get it back.
Also, after looking at some of your other shots from the series, I still stand by my advice on using a more moderate aperture for best sharpness, but I think the main culprit of the softness may be the Polariser as some of your shots should really be sharper & it doesn't look like camera shake to me. Try taking some scenes with & without the CPL fitted so you can compare them later.
Also, after looking at some of your other shots from the series, I still stand by my advice on using a more moderate aperture for best sharpness, but I think the main culprit of the softness may be the Polariser as some of your shots should really be sharper & it doesn't look like camera shake to me. Try taking some scenes with & without the CPL fitted so you can compare them later.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2628 posts
16 years
Brighton,
England