the insult of it!

Mongoose

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 09/03/2007 - 16:33
I think it's called "enlightening the heathens", or something like that. Teaches them the error of their ways.

Dan

Col K10

Link Posted 09/03/2007 - 16:45
I'm just checking the sellers other items. Some of the descriptions go beyond my basic understanding of lens usage . I must admit I'm stunned by the "Fast 200mm Portrait Lens" which must be something on a 1.5 crop factor. Or is it that the lens is broken and will not operate when the camera is held "normally" in landscape?

Col
Colin
"If a picture paints a 1000 words why have I run out of bookshelves."

fatspider

Link Posted 09/03/2007 - 18:37
Have you noticed the number of Pentax lens to Canon Body adaptors that frequently appear on ebay, do we see Pentax to Nikon or any other combination? I think only rarely.

Says a lot for Canon lenses doesn't it?

Maybe it will become a selling point for Canon in the future;

"......and with a suitable adaptor sir you have access to a multitude of excelent quality Pentax optics"

My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Mongoose

Link Posted 09/03/2007 - 18:44
impotentspider wrote:
Have you noticed the number of Pentax lens to Canon Body adaptors that frequently appear on ebay, do we see Pentax to Nikon or any other combination? I think only rarely.

Spider much as I would dearly love to use this as an excuse to dig at Canon, the reason is that the EOS line has a shorter back focus distance than just about everyone else. This makes it ideal for mounting other peoples lenses on.

Nikon on the other hand has a long back focus. This means that if you just construct a bayonet adaptor to let you put a PK lens on a Nikon F mount then you are in effect using a short extension tube and you loose infinity focus. Nikon has a pretty good record of backward compatibility with their own lenses, but they really don't want you mounting anyone elses.

The Canon AF system on the other hand refuses point blank to work unless the lens will talk to it (I think it gets lonely) so that Pentax is the only one who's in focus indicator still works with a simple adaptor. You can get electric adaptors for Canon to M42 which fool the AF into working, but they are more expencive.

Col, thats a very interesting description you found! perhaps he likes to take candids without disturbing his subject?

kcmadr

Link Posted 10/03/2007 - 06:38
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!!!

matsoberg

Link Posted 11/03/2007 - 11:57
Thatīs cool!

But maybe the word has been spread that the K10D is not capable of correct metering using the aperture ring, so youīll need a Canon to get proper exposure with your old Pentax lenses?

Please donīt shoot me......

// Mats
http://www.scandcane.com

fatspider

Link Posted 11/03/2007 - 19:06
Mongoose, thanks.

I didnt realise that was the case, very good explanation of it.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 12/03/2007 - 14:05
The ad refers to the M42 adapter, which can be had for pretty much any camera mount these days. You even need one to use an M42 lens on a Pentax K-mount camera.

M42 was the screw-mount, Contax, Pentax, and Zeiss all produced lenses in that mount.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.