Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Tamron SP 350mm

spbatt
Posted 17/09/2004 - 14:06 Link
Hello group,

I have one of these mirror lenses and have taken some back garden shots with it, it appears to be a fine lens (for a non-Pentax that is), I will test it again when I can get out and about properly.

The thing is though, I have been trying to find any information regarding this lens on the web but can't find any info at all. So, once again, i am seeking information from fellow Pentax Users who may have experience of this 'chubby' lens, it does seem to be uncommon so not sure if anyone can help here .

Thanks!
Simon
Kimbo
Posted 17/09/2004 - 15:11 Link
Model 06B SP 350mm f5.6
Tele-Macro Catadioptric.
7 elements in 4 groups
Angle of view 7 degrees
MOD 1.1m (43.3in.)
Max mag ratio 1:2.5
Diam 86mm (3.4"), Length 74.5mm (2.9"), Weight 577grams (20.4oz)
82mm filter thread.
30.5mm filters optional to screw onto rear element thread.
Tripod ring can be rotated through 90 degrees.
Reversible screw in type lens hood.
Accepts SP 2x Tele-converter model 01F

(details from old Tamron catalogue circa '83- I'll check for anything more up to date)

Hope that helps.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Kimbo
Posted 17/09/2004 - 15:53 Link
Nope, it appears that the 350 went out of production around that time.
The 500mm version, model 55B received a face-lift and became model 55BB which still featured in my most recent catalogue from just a few years ago.

I rate Tamron lenses very highly, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
spbatt
Posted 18/09/2004 - 15:23 Link
Thanks Kimbo. More information than I could shake a stick at - it's so useful having those old brochures knocking around! I did start respecting Tamron a lot when I bagged a SP 90mm f2.5 macro - lovely lens that has left me searching for a Tamron Adaptal KA mount (should Adaptal be one 'l' or 2? hmmmmm) all over ebay. So many 'K' versions knocking around!

Regards

Simon
Kimbo
Posted 18/09/2004 - 20:09 Link
You're welcome,
You should go for the Adaptall-2 mount - quoting from the old brochure, "Previously, shutter preferred cameras required a seperate mount for each lens with a different maximum aperture. With the new Adaptall-2 System, one mount fits all lenses, regardless of maximum aperture, regardless of SLR system."

Essentially, the newer version allows exposure information to be exchanged between the lens and the camera body, thus enabling full program operation, much like the difference between K and KA lenses.
Adaptall-2 lenses however do not have the internal chip found in Pentax KAF lenses and therefore the program sub-modes (tele, standard and wide) can't be utilized as the camera only 'knows' the aperture set and not the focal length.

.....oops, sorry misread your last post - it's 2 l's!
Anonymous
Posted 20/09/2004 - 10:49 Link
i have photoworld magazine review if you are interested i can email scans

regards mark
spbatt
Posted 20/09/2004 - 17:25 Link
Cheers Kimbo - I have hunted a 'PKA' adaptall II down now which cost a whopping £15 incl. P&P. I am happy with that

Hi Mark, I would really appreciate having a magazine review of this lens scanned and emailed to me. Please send it to me at this address: [email protected]. Many thanks!!!

Regards
Simon
Kimbo
Posted 21/09/2004 - 10:38 Link
Excellent buy for £15, a few years ago you could find them everywhere for that sort of price because they were about £25 new. I assume they are still available new but I expect they cost considerably more and are certainly not so common on the second-hand shelves.

I'm just curious, what camera will you be using?
I've used my Tamron lenses firstly on my MeSuper and MV, then my SFX and currently my Z1-P.
Despite losing a few of the camera's auto functions, the lenses perform admirably and demonstrate not only their own quality but also the benefits of Pentax advanced cameras with older manual lenses.
As with Pentax lenses, you can combine Adaptall 2 lenses with the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter if you wish, giving you a really flexible 'best of both worlds' approach.
spbatt
Posted 21/09/2004 - 12:59 Link
Kimbo, I will be mostly trying/using the Adaptall II (PKA) on my Pentax *istD - I find that changing the aperture on the camera body whilst in hyper program on the *istD is a real time saver. I guess that this should work ok!(?)

As for the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter, I would definitely give that a try if one came up on ebay again for a reasonable price. I love manual-focus lenses but the -F lenses I have started to use have been impressive (50mm f1.7 in particular) and have saved me time on product shots. Also, if I use Pentax-F lenses with the Pentax Browser software then it gives me all the info for every photo (focal length, aperture, shutter, compensation etc.). Very cool!

Kimbo, do you have any booklets about the Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm zoom from around 1980? This lump of metal and glass will be appearing on ebay soon but I am finding out as much info as I can in the meantime.

Regards,
Simon
Anonymous
Posted 22/09/2004 - 11:40 Link
I once had this lens too - and I have an old lens test from a photo mag of the 80's (don't remember which one).
They testeted it quite good (that's why I bought it).
I sold it only because I got a Tamron SP 5.6/300 macro and a Tamron 8/500.....

Paul
Kimbo
Posted 23/09/2004 - 13:38 Link
spbatt wrote:
Kimbo, I will be mostly trying/using the Adaptall II (PKA) on my Pentax *istD - I find that changing the aperture on the camera body whilst in hyper program on the *istD is a real time saver. I guess that this should work ok!(?)

Kimbo, do you have any booklets about the Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm zoom from around 1980? This lump of metal and glass will be appearing on ebay soon but I am finding out as much info as I can in the meantime.

Simon,

I've never used a *istD but I would imagine the adaptall II would function just like any Pentax KA lens (except possibly for the direction you turn the focussing ring!)
I don't have any literature on the Vivitar but I do know that the series 1 are pretty darned good and often compete with Tamron for the top places when tested.
spbatt
Posted 23/09/2004 - 17:35 Link
That darned 24-48mm 'Series 1' lens has a problem... the aperture ring does not seem to be coupled to the aperture blades any more. Curses!!

Thanks for all the info on the Tamron SP 350mm everyone! Once I receive the Adaptall PKA mount I will update this posting with any negative/positive findings.

Regards,
Simon
spbatt
Posted 01/10/2004 - 15:46 Link
So far my efforts with the Tamron Adaptall PKA mount on the Pentax *istD haven't been successful...

Regards,
Simon

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.